Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How does the stick shift knob come off, R and R Knob
Coondog
post Feb 10 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

I read a post on Pelican where you put a open end wrench underneath it and hit it upwards with a hammer............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Is this really the way ? And if so does it wreck the compression fitting or is it reusable ?
I bought a NOS leather with Porsche logo knob that I would like to replace it with, just find it hard to believe that you smack up on it to come off then smack down on it to go on ???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 10 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just pull it off. Never had to use hammer.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 10 2016, 04:57 PM) *

I read a post on Pelican where you put a open end wrench underneath it and hit it upwards with a hammer............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Is this really the way ? And if so does it wreck the compression fitting or is it reusable ?
I bought a NOS leather with Porsche logo knob that I would like to replace it with, just find it hard to believe that you smack up on it to come off then smack down on it to go on ???

Coondog -

That or some used a piece of wood with a "U" cut out so as to not damage the chrome bottom bit, then hammer it. Otherwise put a clean shop cloth around the open end wrench or adjustible spanner before banging away.

The crush washers/sleeves are still available & relatively cheap, so get a couple & hang onto a spare. You sometimes can bend them back into re0usable shape, but they're usually "crushed" as the name implies - beyond reuse.

Does your NOS leather knob with the Crest have the chrome or black rim around the cloisonne crest?

Post a pic & I can tell you if it's one of the back-in-the-day AMCO ones that the dealers used to sell. The actual 60's 7 early 70's ones would have the red bars in the early red-orange color - rather than deep red for 73 calendar year on.

Jeff Bowlsby shows them on this page -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 10 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I don't even know what a crush ring looks like ? Does this have one.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2016, 01:29 AM
Post #5

TMI....

That type was not the AMCO one more widely sold by dealers, but from the period anyway.

However, it looks like the threaded type down in the hole, which IIRC was used on some 356s & early 911/912s with threaded shift shafts. Not sure it will fit on your shift shaft, unless it is threaded.

Crush Sleeve & a repro 901 shift knob are shown at this link below from SMC, but other suppliers may be better sources nowadays.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...-86-p19751.html

I don't know what you paid for that knob - which is a painted vs. cloisonne crest, but if it doesn't fit, then I think AA sells a newer cloisonne version with a black trim ring for not too much, plus Porsche Classics is making the original 901 5-spd pattern ones new again & available from dealers & other parts houses like Stoddards $ Einmalig for about $175 IIRC.

Sometimes the original AMCO cloisonne crest ones in walnut to leatherette come up on evilbay for not too much in good used to NOS condition as well.

It would insert into the hole to fill the gap tightly when pressed onto the shaft.

Look for the Porsche crest cloisone (which is essentially baked glass) & its surrounding metal ridges separating the colors in the best possible condition without chips, cracks, oxidation of the metal, etc. - & the leather/vinyl can be not so good - since you can get a local upholstery shop to recover it, along with your steering wheel leather (or at Dallas Steering Wheel) & the leather shift boot (if a center console 914) - all in the same leather.

Personally I like the look of the crest & can remember the shift pattern just fine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW - I could never just pull my knob off as Mark/914sixer said, but by just tapping it off with my "U" wood bit described above usually worked it off cleanly. I just was being facetious when I said "banging" it off above. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 11 2016, 03:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Thanks for the info Tom, and yes got if off eBay from some guy in Hawaii. I had the one you described on my first 914 many years ago, I just couldn't remember all the details. It looked the same to me. Bad news it was 40.00 bucks. Good news is it's one more thing I will bring to the next So Cal 914 swap meet.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 11 2016, 07:52 AM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Does that knob have small threaded holes near the base for a couple of set screws? They never seem to hold. Does the knob slip on tight or kind of sloppy? I have a shift lever that the po used epoxy or the like to keep the knob in place. Almost a good idea except the knob can not be removed and thus if one ever wanted to replace the bushings that cradle the lever ball or any other service to the shifter assem it's impossible. You can't even remove the rubber boot. Same if the lever has worn excessively at the detent plate contact point. The leather covered knob is now garbage.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 11 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Every crush sleeve knob I've ever encountered came off with a bit of muscle.

I don't like the idea of using a hammer here.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #9

TMI....

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 11 2016, 01:54 AM) *

Thanks for the info Tom, and yes got if off eBay from some guy in Hawaii. I had the one you described on my first 914 many years ago, I just couldn't remember all the details. It looked the same to me. Bad news it was 40.00 bucks. Good news is it's one more thing I will bring to the next So Cal 914 swap meet.

Coondog - if that's NOS or even excellent condition used, $40 isn't a bad price at all.

Take a look at the AMCO shift knobs about 1/4 down on Jeff Bowlsby's webpage to see the one you probably had. My 914 had it in black vinyl with crest too when I bought it, but I managed to chip the cloisonne over the 10 years & 130k miles I drove mine, so I keep looking for a nice NOS one, but found a used one to resto in leather like I noted above.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

See pages 4 & 5 at this 72 Porsche dealer accessories booklet for the knob officially licensed by Porsche (P+A in USA) & sold at P+A dealers back in the day (at one of the links at Jeff's webpage above, under 1.7L chrome tailpipe).

There's a group which usually comes to the big Porsche Swap Meet at the Pheonix Club in Anaheim in March which do really good Steering wheels etc. leather covers (in addition to DSW - Dallas Steering Wheel). So if you have a wheel & knob & shift boot you need done, you can get with them there.

I'm 5-10 mins from the Phoenix Club & will go over if I'm in town that date this year (I've been away the past 2), so will catch you there, if you venture down from Apple Valley (PM or email me if you plan to).

I also have a group in Huntington Beach who redid my BeeMer's wheel & front seats who did a great job on them for a reasonable price, but it's one of our DDs - not a CW show car (I'd have to dig out their card). I may have them do my 914 wheel & knob & boot - or else the guy at the swap meet who also came highly recco'd to me by some early 911 guys I know.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zBro_72USA3.pdf
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 11 2016, 10:08 AM
Post #10

TMI....

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 11 2016, 06:33 AM) *

Every crush sleeve knob I've ever encountered came off with a bit of muscle.

I don't like the idea of using a hammer here.

Lawrence,

I never liked the risk of wanking around & possibly damaging the shift linkage - being the clutz I can be! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So I've used that scrap piece of 4 - 8" soft wood pine 1x3 or 1x4 with the "U" notch to go around the shift lever shaft under the knob - then gently tapping up on the wood until the knob works it's way up.

I found that also tended to bring the knob up evenly.

Also, over time as the end of the shift shaft wears, & it does get easier to get them off by hand - while the last time I did mine was in the late `70's when it was fairly new & tight on there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It was great to meet up in person at the OCR Original Mike's Breakfast last Saturday!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 11 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Btw, for a stock knob with the sleeve, simply turning the knob and pulling it comes off. Look for set screws on the base of yours.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 11 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

[quote name='Tom_T' date='Feb 11 2016, 08:02 AM' post='2301666']

Coondog - if that's NOS or even excellent condition used, $40 isn't a bad price at all.

I'm 5-10 mins from the Phoenix Club & will go over if I'm in town that date this year (I've been away the past 2), so will catch you there, if you venture down from Apple Valley (PM or email me if you plan to).

Yes Tom I have it on my calendar, all good on the rest of the interior but would like to find a leather knob with the Porsche crest that will fit. I will bring mine just in case someone wants to trade.

Hope to see you there, I will be wearing a Orange, Stoddard 914 parts shirt.

Greg
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 11 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2016, 08:45 AM) *

Btw, for a stock knob with the sleeve, simply turning the knob and pulling it comes off. Look for set screws on the base of yours.

No set screws found.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Feb 11 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,376

Another vote here for the slotted board trick. The previous owner glued the knob onto one of my cars. There was no way it would pry off.

I cut a U-shaped slot the width of the shift lever, about an inch or two long, into the end of a short board. That way, you can wack it good from the bottom with a hammer and not damage anything

The crush washer looks like a little corrugated metal cylinder.
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Feb 11 2016, 11:55 PM
Post #15

Robert

Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

I tried the open wrench and mallet..... once. I now have a cracked shifter hand I e.
Nevef again.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #16

TMI....

[quote name='Coondog' date='Feb 11 2016, 08:49 PM' post='2301989']
[quote name='Tom_T' date='Feb 11 2016, 08:02 AM' post='2301666']

Yes Tom I have it on my calendar, all good on the rest of the interior but would like to find a leather knob with the Porsche crest that will fit. I will bring mine just in case someone wants to trade.

Hope to see you there, I will be wearing a Orange, Stoddard 914 parts shirt.

Greg
[/quote]

Greg - keep watching evil-bay & CL & TheSamba.com classifieds.

Also, look at Auto Atlanta or call George the & see if he still has the newer version of them with the black trim ring around the crest, since those will fit 914 & 911.

Also Einmalig in Huntington Beach may have some of them too in their deep stash.

So ... El Camino or 914 to the Pheonix Club in March!? Toough choice buddy, but a great one to have! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Feb 19 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 19,349
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 11 2016, 01:57 AM) *

Can you tell me where you found the leather Porsche shift knob?. I have an aluminum Momo shift knob wich I don't like and I'm not a big fan of the original black shift knob.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 19 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

[quote name='slotty008' date='Feb 19 2016, 11:40 AM' post='2305095']
[quote name='Coondog' post='2301414' date='Feb 11 2016, 01:57 AM']

[/quote]
Can you tell me where you found the leather Porsche shift knob?. I have an aluminum Momo shift knob wich I don't like and I'm not a big fan of the original black shift knob.
[/quote

eBay, seller was not a Porsche vendor. He had it in a box in his garage for 20 plus years.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:57 AM