Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74-1.8L, Bur Helpning and dripping a lot of oil Help
catsltd
post Apr 2 2016, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,814
Region Association: None

My 1.8L motor needs some help.

I am at a loss as to where to start,but thinking the heads are as good as place as any.
So been reading everywhere and still have questions.

1, Can I pull the heads while motor in the car???,if I got to pull the motor Im screwed as a rebuild is not an option.

2.What do I do with the heads once I pull them???.Cant ship to USA as exchange rate is brutal.
So what can I do,local shop took me to the cleaners last year so feeling a bit lost as to options.

3.I cant find a thread on pulling heads,even in search,suggestions or link would sure help.

4.Car runs good new injectors Mallory dizzy,new plugs,etc but oil dripping and big puffs of blue between shifts is bumming me out.

5. Should I bother with a compression test with so many leaks.

Really love my new car,but totally overwhelmed right now.

Thanks for any help.
Grant.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 2 2016, 08:02 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(catsltd @ Apr 2 2016, 08:56 AM) *

I am at a loss as to where to start,but thinking the heads are as good as place as any.

1, Can I pull the heads while motor in the car???,if I got to pull the motor Im screwed as a rebuild is not an option.

2.What do I do with the heads once I pull them???.Cant ship to USA as exchange rate is brutal.
So what can I do,local shop took me to the cleaners last year so feeling a bit lost as to options.

3.I cant find a thread on pulling heads,even in search,suggestions or link would sure help.

4.Car runs good new injectors Mallory dizzy,new plugs,etc but oil dripping and big puffs of blue between shifts is bumming me out.

Thanks for any help.
Grant.

Grant,

You can't pull the heads while the engine is in the car. But you shouldn't have to. The heads won't leak unless they are badly cracked, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Start with replacing the push rod tube seals, the oil cooler seals, and the oil pressure sender. All of these can be done with the engine in the car, and they are all well documented on this site. The bonus to the push rod tube seals is you get a valve adjustment and new valve cover gaskets during the fix.

You might also check to see who in your area has a 914 and would be willing to help. There are lots of guys on here that will come over and help wrench on your 914 for some hamburgers and a few beers.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
catsltd
post Apr 2 2016, 08:27 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2016, 10:02 AM) *

Thanks for any help.
Grant.

Grant,

You can't pull the heads while the engine is in the car. But you shouldn't have to. The heads won't leak unless they are badly cracked, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Start with replacing the push rod tube seals, the oil cooler seals, and the oil pressure sender. All of these can be done with the engine in the car, and they are all well documented on this site. The bonus to the push rod tube seals is you get a valve adjustment and new valve cover gaskets during the fix.

You might also check to see who in your area has a 914 and would be willing to help. There are lots of guys on here that will come over and help wrench on your 914 for some hamburgers and a few beers.

I got the valves adjusted last year at a shop,car didnt ,make it home before oil was drained and oil light came on,so thats why I am going to do as much work as I can myself.
Would be great to see some local 914 motors to look at,is there a place to look for local owners???.
Thanks.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 2 2016, 08:41 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(catsltd @ Apr 2 2016, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2016, 10:02 AM) *

Thanks for any help.
Grant.

Grant,

I got the valves adjusted last year at a shop,car didnt ,make it home before oil was drained and oil light came on,so thats why I am going to do as much work as I can myself.
Would be great to see some local 914 motors to look at,is there a place to look for local owners???.
Thanks.

I couldn't tell you about any local owners in Calgary. But hopefully someone will chime in here.

Adjusting the valves won't fix the oil leaks. But you have to remove the rockers to replace the pushrod tube seals, so you get another valve adjustment anyway.

Take some pictures for us and we can try to help from here.

+Quote Post
Valy
post Apr 2 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

The big pufs of blue smoke usually means you need new rings.
+Quote Post
zipedadoo
post Apr 2 2016, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,921

I would start with a compression check. See if the motor is worth putting any more money into it.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 2 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Oil leak started on the way home after a valve adjustment. If they used the old gasket it's guaranteed to leak. If this was an experienced air cooled shop? If not, they probably put the gasket on wrong.
+Quote Post
catsltd
post Apr 2 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 2 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Oil leak started on the way home after a valve adjustment. If they used the old gasket it's guaranteed to leak. If this was an experienced air cooled shop? If not, they probably put the gasket on wrong.

Ill start with oil cooler seals,and pushrod tube seals,since I am pretty sure I have the parts already.
I will do a compression test as well.
Ill post up what I find along with a few pictures as well.
I have the flu but will start on things tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone,I feel with the support here I should be able to get things figured out.

The car does blow out blue between shifts,but not always,so finding the oil leaks is proably my best place to start.
Both heat exchangers are dripping oil when I get back from a drive,so I for sure have oil coming from a lot of places.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 2 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #9

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Smoke when you shift (engine deceleration) is an indication of worn valve guides
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Apr 2 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 2 2016, 12:46 PM) *

Smoke when you shift (engine deceleration) is an indication of worn valve guides

Would worn valve guides make a ratta-tat like sound ?
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 2 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

valve adjustment not done right. pushrod tube seals old. wrong valve cover gaskets. also front right side, oil cooler gaskets. These are normal maintenance items that leak over time, and not hard to replace. search here and you'll find the exact way to do it all at home with no special tools. Oh, and depending on the motor, top of the heads inside the motor compartment there might be oil vent tubes poking up between the spark plugs. They should have a hose sending the oil vapors to a catch can or back into the intake system somewhere. I'm sure others will cover this in better detail. All done in a days work at home. It's a simple motor. Good luck and post pictures. It'll help us more in knowing how to help you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 2 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 2 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Oh, and depending on the motor, top of the heads inside the motor compartment there might be oil vent tubes poking up between the spark plugs.

No head vents on a 74 1.8L
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:57 AM