Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for advice on buying a helmet, A helmet for lite use a few times a year
wes
post Apr 30 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #1

wes

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I'm looking at buying a helmet to be used just a few times a year that would be acceptable at most tracks and somewhat easy on my wallet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 30 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I bought this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vms-2531...87kcaAmb88P8HAQ

It's a Snell 2015 so it should be good for 10 years or so.
+Quote Post
jtprettyman
post Apr 30 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Rust Bucket Owner

Member No.: 18,707
Region Association: South East States

I remember talking to my dad back when I was buying my first dirt bike. He was complaining about the cost of the Bell I wanted. I quoted the old 'got a $10 head? Get a $10 helmet.' line to him. Still holds true.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Apr 30 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wes @ Apr 30 2016, 05:22 PM) *

I'm looking at buying a helmet to be used just a few times a year that would be acceptable at most tracks and somewhat easy on my wallet.

eBay - SA 2010 helmets still available in some sizes at half original prices if you want for PCA AX & Driver Ed etc

ANY helmet that meets current SA specs will protect your head to that level - the rest of the price is in the design extras, vents & personalization - Gforce helmets are a good option if you are on a budget (like I am)

- PCA Zone 7 allows 5 yr old helmets for above events (i.e., 2010) - even allows Motorcycle class helmets for AX - open face are OK

some northern Calif track-day clubs such as Trackmasters, NorCal, NASA - MIGHT - allow SA2010 for certain events

look up the specific rules for each club you plan to race with

- if you are going to race with a sanctioned club such as SCCA or go PCA Club Racing or any other such venue as VARA, CSRG, HMSA, SVRA , you will be required to have an SA 2015 - most serious racing now requires a closed face helmet

+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 30 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

http://soloracer.com/sa2010helmets.html

http://www.soloperformance.com/Helmets-and...ories_c_13.html

Oregon PCA. 2010's are good till 2020 for autocross.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 1 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Check the rules, NJ requires a closed face helmet with a face shield, but you don't have to have the shield down while racing. Go figure? 2010 helmets are only good to the end of this year. Scca autocross in NJ can still use 2010 helmets until the 2020's come out.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 1 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

From,what I recall, the rating is a fireproof thing, so a standard motorcycle helmet may not be allowed, so read the rules.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 1 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

Clarification: for SCCA Club Racing, an SA2005 helmet is acceptable through the end of calendar year 2016. An SA2010 helmet will likely be good through the end of calendar year 2021. SCCA does this to give a year for supplies to be adequate and to prepare you for replacement.

I'd buy an appropriately-priced helmet for my head, but I can't find any that cost $5. So instead I bought a Sparco SA2010 carbon fiber helmet when the 2015s were released in October, and got a killer deal. I usually like to replace my helmet every 5 years or so anyway so the off-year deals are a good value.

Note there's not a lot of difference technologically between SA2010 and 2015; as I recall it's mostly related to HNR tethers. There was a big difference for 2010, in regard to impact testing. Obviously, I have no personal issues using an SA2010-standard helmet for the next 5+ years.

GA
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:57 PM