Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS - Beautiful '71 914-6, Fully/completely restored
Cairo94507
post May 21 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So I was crusing eBay this morning over coffee and saw this '71 Six for sale with a ton of well done pictures and I thought, "Wow, that Six is truly remarkable" http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-AWARD-...em=121983925463 . Then I saw it was listed for sale in Burlingame, CA, just 40 minutes from my home. I called and spoke to the owner of Scottsdale Sport of San Francisco , John Miraglia, and confirmed the car was there and available to be seen.

My brother and I drove there and met John. I told him upfront I was not a buyer, as I had a '71 Six of my own that was undergoing a complete restoration, and that I just wanted to look at his car. John's place, (1250 Rollins Road, Burlingame, CA 94010) is a beautiful facility with plenty of space and a huge parking lot.... more on that later.

John opened up the '71 and let me gawk all I wanted. This Six is a top quality complete Concours restoration. It is hands down the nicest Six I have ever seen.

John is a Porsche-holic and has a lot of very nice cars in his showroom. Sitting directly behind the '71 was a Tangerine '70 Six that was an older restoration, but still a very nice clean car.

We talked during the hour I was there drooling over his '71 and I mentioned 914World.Com and that I would post a picture and mention his business. He was a genuinely nice guy and easy to talk to with.

His ask is high on this Six, but, and don't shoot the messenger, I think it is going to sell for close to the ask. This car looked better than it would have rolling off the assembly line. I looked underneath and the exhaust was ceramic coated, spotless engine/transaxle, everything looked proper and done to the highest standards.

John's '71 Six has the early hard (license plate opening) edge rear bumper and that was the only thing I would question. My research indicates mid-way through the '71 production, they switched to the more rounded rear bumper. My car, a late production car, has that one, and Johns car was made after my car. I actually had a hard edged rear bumper in storage and sold it once I confirmed my car would have come with the bumper that was in fact on it. I have to say, as clean as John's car is, with all of the attention to detail, I am wondering if the people I checked with gave me bad advise re my rear bumper.....

John mentioned he might consider hosting a Cars & Coffee at his place one weekend. He certainly has the eye candy and parking to handle all of us and then some. I think that would be a good fit as it is easy to get to, right off the Broadway exit of the 101, 4 miles north of the 92 San Mateo Bridge.

Anyway, if you are out driving around, stop in and check it out, as well as the rest of his inventory. He has some seriously nice cars for sale.

Here is a picture of John's car:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 21 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Michael

OK, seriously....I am having a senior moment and can't for the life of me get this photo to add right side up. What the heck? Can someone lend a Six freak a hand?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 21 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Michael - buy it. Tell your wife the car is done. Paint the one at scotty b's the same color.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Luke M
post May 21 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

Here you go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 21 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

So is this purporting to be a $200K /6, with a $50K deduct for the hood badge? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 21 2016, 09:48 PM
Post #6

Michael

Yes, the tangerine one is behind the Irish green one. Both are excellent examples. Like I said, his ask is high, but man that car is essentially perfect. I may just stop in there regularly to keep my dream alive. The paint on the '71 is as good up close as it looks in the picture.

And Luke M, thanks for righting the picture for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
post May 22 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

There's a thread on this -6 about 3 months ago. I called them on it regarding a few items. Why did the resto include some cheap shocks? Car at the time was located in Scottsdale Az.
Oh asking was 150k back then.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 22 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #8

Michael

I could not see a whole lot under the car except it looked very clean underneath. I thought it had Bilsteins in the rear, I could be mistaken. I wish it would have been on a lift.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 23 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Here is a pic when it was in my garage, the one that got away... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Next
post May 23 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Ferg @ May 23 2016, 09:48 AM) *

Here is a pic when it was in my garage, the one that got away... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

wait.....what's the story here Ferg?

+Quote Post
Ferg
post May 23 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Cliff notes version:

I was friends with Bob who owned the car from 1993 through 2003 (from memory)

He passed and I was asked to help his Widow sell off his toys that he kept in Colorado. She offered me the car at a unreal price (even in those days). I instead sold it for her for 10k more than my price would have been.

It spent a few months in my garage and I was able to enjoy it till it sold.

It was a very nice car at the time, but not like it is now. The gentleman I sold the car to completely redid the car and went on to win the San Diego parade restoration class with the car.

Then it was bought by another Coloradan friend who kept it many years till it is where it is now.

I actually have never seen it post restoration, but have heard that it is fantastic. It was a super super nice car before so I can only imagine.
+Quote Post
siverson
post May 24 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

Strange that it has a 4-cyl paint code for Irish Green - L60E. My Irish Green six is just color code "15".

-Steve
+Quote Post
toolguy
post May 25 2016, 08:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,889

QUOTE(siverson @ May 24 2016, 09:53 PM) *

Strange that it has a 4-cyl paint code for Irish Green - L60E. My Irish Green six is just color code "15".

-Steve

I thought that was 'unusual' also as 914-6's carried the 2 digit Porsche paint designation.
My Silver car is simply 80 on the Karman tag.
I didn't find anything in the ad that spoke to numbers matching engine and trans or a COA verification.
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post May 25 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The reference on p914.com states the paint code format changed mid-year 71. So, this being a 06/71 build date, it falls in the correct time frame for the factory to use the new style paint code.

http://www.p914.com/p914-6_paint_71.htm
+Quote Post
siverson
post May 25 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 25 2016, 08:00 AM) *

The reference on p914.com states the paint code format changed mid-year 71. So, this being a 06/71 build date, it falls in the correct time frame for the factory to use the new style paint code.

http://www.p914.com/p914-6_paint_71.htm

Interesting - I did not know that!

-Steve
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 27 2016, 06:05 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

That Irish green looks very dark.
Did it look right in person ?
Also, this may have been an old discussion but here goes.
When did 4cyl. cars switch to late (curved ) rear bumpers ? I would think it would be at the end of 1971 rather than mid or late year.
By polling 4cyl. cars a larger sample can be established.
The reason being that 1972 was the first real update on the original design.
Early cars, both 4cyl. (painted or chrome, 6 always chrome) had the square bumper.
How many here (anyone ? ) have an original owner '71 4cyl. or 6 with a later rear bumper ?
My .02 cents

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 27 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #17

Michael

Yes, the Irish Green looked spot-on to me. Also, anyone else with an opinion re the rear bumpers? My '71 has the smoother transition for the license plate (later) and I was told they changed mid-year '71. My '71 is a late build, like the above car.

I am going to be really upset if I have to source another early bumper for the rear since I had a perfect one which I sold on the cheap.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:21 AM