Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old school builds/Tried, true, tested....cheap trick, Common sense builds and ideas/ solutions for the "common man"
Gunn1
post May 25 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

Much like my grandmothers recipe for Amish oatmeal chocolate chip cookies would have been lost forever if someone didn't take the time to write it down, it is similar that many of those on the site who comment or watch from a far have common sense low cost solutions to building a type 4.

Not really asking for your trade secrets or any self promotion, just common sense solutions that over the years have worked for you.

Primarily want to hear folks low tech, low cost alternatives for repairing or rebuilding the type 4 or the 914.

Anything as a permanent approved repair fix to a Macgyver fix that can get you by.

Anything that works well in combination that you figured out on your own or with someone else's help.

Again primarily looking for a dialog on low cost common sense technicis to type 4 repair and rebuild info.

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 25 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 25 2016, 08:06 PM) *
Anything as a permanent approved repair fix to a Macgyver fix that can get you by.

Old trick from my dirt bike racing days:

If you run lean and burn a hole into the piston, you can temporarily fix it by using a round flathead bolt and large washer and double nut it from below.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 25 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Resident German

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 08:15 PM) *

If you blow up a piston and it leaves deep groves in the cylinder, you can fill those by adding oil to your gas and run the engine with that for a while. The groves will quickly fill with carbon and seal the rings. Obviously, you have to replace the blown up piston with a good one.

A mixture of 20:1 will work wonders ...
+Quote Post
thelogo
post May 25 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

I ll jump in here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

If you need a motor ,you might find a 1.7 for dirt cheap

And everything else , if you dont break it

You wont have to replace it .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Damn im thirsty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post May 25 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #5

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Much like my grandmothers recipe for Amish oatmeal chocolate chip cookies would have been lost forever if someone didn't take the time to write it down, it is similar that many of those on the site who comment or watch from a far have common sense low cost solutions to building a type 4.

Not really asking for your trade secrets or any self promotion, just common sense solutions that over the years have worked for you.

Primarily want to hear folks low tech, low cost alternatives for repairing or rebuilding the type 4 or the 914.

Anything that works well in combination that you figured out on your own or with someone else's help.

Again primarily looking for a dialog on low cost common sense technicis to type 4 repair and rebuild info.

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

So now you're just gathering info so you can evaluate the alternatives?

Get in touch with Mark of Original Customs (username here McMark, you can search), ex-California and now somewhere that has snow, up near you. He's a nice guy, skilled, and will give you realistic and impartial information.

For general T4 engine conversation you can try the Shoptalk Forums, the Type4up, here: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1 Probably all the information you could want will be there in one form or another, do searches. There are several other 914-specific shops/vendors or T4 specific engine builders, you'll begin running across their names, but Mark's a good one, I think anyone here will vouch.

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post May 25 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 25 2016, 10:29 PM) *

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

So now you're just gathering info so you can evaluate the alternatives?

Get in touch with Mark of Original Customs (username here McMark, you can search), ex-California and now somewhere that has snow, up near you. He's a nice guy, skilled, and will give you realistic and impartial information.

For general T4 engine conversation you can try the Shoptalk Forums, the Type4up, here: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1 Probably all the information you could want will be there in one form or another, do searches. There are several other 914-specific shops/vendors or T4 specific engine builders, you'll begin running across their names, but Mark's a good one, I think anyone here will vouch.

Thanks for the info Coop, and I will follow up on it.

However, rather than throw out a specific question, I am simply looking for low cost common sense repair and rebuilding alternatives. You know something that works but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Or temp repairs which you wouldn't normally think of, but work long enough to keep you off the flat bed.

No evaluating going on here....just an attempt to get a look at how resourceful folks can be, get a great outcome and not spend a lot of dough.

Nothing devious and please don't hate because we get snow up here. Ha ha ha
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 25 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 11:18 PM) *

If you blow up a piston and it leaves deep groves in the cylinder, you can fill those by adding oil to your gas and run the engine with that for a while. The groves will quickly fill with carbon and seal the rings. Obviously, you have to replace the blown up piston with a good one.

Both of those are really so ugly I like them....
+Quote Post
914bub
post May 25 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,260

The coveted Amish Oatmeal cookie recipe please....... Some of us like cooking/baking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post May 25 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(914bub @ May 25 2016, 11:03 PM) *

The coveted Amish Oatmeal cookie recipe please....... Some of us like cooking/baking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

10-4

I will post it tomorrow when I pull out the recipe box.....it's under all the Porsche stuff
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post May 25 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 11:18 PM) *

Both of those are really so ugly I like them....

They are but you are right I like them too
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 25 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

Don't let it break would be the 1st on the list.

Besides used or hand me down parts to keep the cost down you could research what parts interchange with buses or other VW vehicles, I doubt you'll save that much but a few bucks add up here and there.

thread too vague, are we talking repairs to keep it running until a proper repair done or a fix that will be labeled DAPO?

Unless you buy stuff from JC Whitney, I don't see how a Type IV build can be done any cheaper than buying stuff from European Motorworks or AA Performance...of course if you have to rebuild the motor twice by being too cheap you might end up paying more in the long run.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds for someone bailing on a project is your best bet to save real money.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 25 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #12

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

It fixes everything (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 26 2016, 05:43 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

* This is really the way to save big bucks on a car.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds for someone bailing on a project is your best bet to save real money.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 26 2016, 06:41 AM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

The bottom end of a type IV is nearly indestructible. If you are up to the task just do a top end rebuild. Most any machine shop can do valves and guides and seats as long as the heads aren't cracked. I made a resurfacing tool for touching up the surface where the head contacts the cylinder from a piece of MDF. Just stick a piece of 180 sand paper on it and turn it. Finish with 220. The sand paper is to just clean up the mating surface. I've used this method on several engines with great sucess. Low buck and it works.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 26 2016, 07:59 AM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Buy a known engine from a known person. The sum of the parts costs more than the whole.
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post May 26 2016, 08:45 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 26 2016, 07:41 AM) *

The bottom end of a type IV is nearly indestructible. If you are up to the task just do a top end rebuild. Most any machine shop can do valves and guides and seats as long as the heads aren't cracked. I made a resurfacing tool for touching up the surface where the head contacts the cylinder from a piece of MDF. Just stick a piece of 180 sand paper on it and turn it. Finish with 220. The sand paper is to just clean up the mating surface. I've used this method on several engines with great sucess. Low buck and it works.

Now that's what I'm talking bout right there....

Great information, and using materials readily available for very little $'s

Thank you
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 26 2016, 11:55 AM
Post #17

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

Rebuild only when MORE exhaust exits crankcase ventilator then exhaust pipe.. feed 1 quart oil per day...... BTW.. you were running too lean.....
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 26 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #18

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Oh man, you're killing me, Andy. Needed this.

Bolt that piston hole shut. Use extra lock washers if you want it to last.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 26 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #19

Resident German

QUOTE(Rand @ May 26 2016, 11:04 AM) *
Oh man, you're killing me, Andy. Needed this.
Bolt that piston hole shut. Use extra lock washers if you want it to last.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Done it more than once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Back then, there was only one dealer in a 50 mile radius that sold spare parts for our dirt bikes.
I'll never forget the owners face when i showed up there for the first time with my piston "fix". I actually rode the bike to the dealer, walked in and bought a new piston and proceeded to swap it out in the parking lot. He came out and watched me because he didn't believe me when i told him about the bolt fix.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 26 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #20

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Carbureted or EFI? Which carbs?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:05 PM