Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yup broke down....., Could this happen?
oldschool
post Jun 24 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

Last sunday I drove my car to church/work it was about 100 degrees as I was driving on the fwy it started to lose power (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) , I pulled over and sure enough it would not start. It felt like vapor lock...
Could this happen while I'm driving????
after a bit it fired right up.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 24 2016, 12:47 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jun 23 2016, 11:27 PM) *

Last sunday I drove my car to church/work it was about 100 degrees as I was driving on the fwy it started to lose power (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) , I pulled over and sure enough it would not start. It felt like vapor lock...

Sounds like the classic hot-start problem. I suffered with it until I replaced my starter with a high-torque.
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Jun 24 2016, 03:15 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

Could be tight valves.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jun 24 2016, 03:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jun 24 2016, 02:27 AM) *

Attached Image

Could Definitely happen while driving. Happen to me several times until I move fuel pump to the fire wall.
+Quote Post
87m491
post Jun 24 2016, 04:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 23 2016, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jun 23 2016, 11:27 PM) *

Sounds like the classic hot-start problem. I suffered with it until I replaced my starter with a high-torque.

Not sure how a high torque starter solves the loss of power on a hot day? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) "No start" doesn't always mean won't turn over. We need a little more detail. For OP, yes, vapor lock could explain what happened, but so could a few other things....
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 24 2016, 08:15 AM
Post #6

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Ok Jamie ..... the air temp may have been 100+, but what do you think the temp was coming out of the heater flappers and blowing on the fuel pump? Yes, it will "vapor lock" while driving, especially at low speeds .... in other words, the fuel boils and fuel pumps don't pump air/bubbles very well. After things cool down the fuel returns to it's liquid state and it works again.

I have vapor locked so many times I just expect it in hot weather. Yeah, I'm to lazy to move the pump up front.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 24 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 24 2016, 08:15 AM) *

I have vapor locked so many times I just expect it in hot weather. Yeah, I'm to lazy to move the pump up front.

I thought that was your summer project after the last trip...

I declare a work Party at Rons!
I'm paying for the pizza!

+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 24 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #8

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 24 2016, 06:15 AM) *

Yeah, I'm to lazy to move the pump up front.

That's the last I heard. Sounds good to me.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2016, 10:13 AM
Post #9

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Hey Jaime,

Save yourself the greif & just move the fuel pump up under the fuel tank behind the steering rack cover as the Porsche Tech Bulletin advised since about 74-ish. AA sells a kit with the parts, or you can collect the parts yourself, or have a shop who knows 914s near you do it.

I did mine back in `77 after having to wait a couple of ours at the Blythe Denney's in 115 heat on the way to the River to water ski. Got back, told my guy Hans what happened, & he knew right away what it was & what to do (he was factory trained on 914's when the first came out & he was still at Circle Porsche in Long Beach).

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914outlaw
post Jun 24 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #10

Dave

Member No.: 11,800

QUOTE(oldschool @ Jun 24 2016, 02:27 AM) *

This is what the Cap'n had to say about vapor lock.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 5 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Some folks might tell you to move the pump, but I won't be one of them. Too much plumbing and adapting, and (unless you pop for SS pipes) you'll be pressurizing lines that were designed to run at no pressure at all. Keeping the pump in the back means you'll need maybe a foot or 18" of 12mm hose, the adapter hose, the pump, and new rubber fuel lines from the pump area to the engine area.

IME, the stuff you read about vapor lock is hearsay and mostly unsupported by evidence. I live where it gets hot, and I used to live in La La Land, where it's hot AND there's a lot of slow traffic, and I've never seen a single case of it.

Drain the tank, remove the filler neck and take a good look at the inside of the tank. If there's rust and/or crap in there, pull the tank, replace the hoses under there (some 7mm, some 9mm), and have the tank cleaned and coated. Be REALLY careful not to crimp the hoses when you reinstall everything. Get a new filter sock for the inside of the tank, too. Save the paper washers for the bottom fittings, they're hard to come by.

The Cap'n

+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 24 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,673

This is what the Cap'n had to say about vapor lock.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 5 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Some folks might tell you to move the pump, but I won't be one of them. Too much plumbing and adapting, and (unless you pop for SS pipes) you'll be pressurizing lines that were designed to run at no pressure at all. Keeping the pump in the back means you'll need maybe a foot or 18" of 12mm hose, the adapter hose, the pump, and new rubber fuel lines from the pump area to the engine area.

IME, the stuff you read about vapor lock is hearsay and mostly unsupported by evidence. I live where it gets hot, and I used to live in La La Land, where it's hot AND there's a lot of slow traffic, and I've never seen a single case of it.

Drain the tank, remove the filler neck and take a good look at the inside of the tank. If there's rust and/or crap in there, pull the tank, replace the hoses under there (some 7mm, some 9mm), and have the tank cleaned and coated. Be REALLY careful not to crimp the hoses when you reinstall everything. Get a new filter sock for the inside of the tank, too. Save the paper washers for the bottom fittings, they're hard to come by.

The Cap'n

Wait a second on the fuel lines; didn't the factory use the same nylon lines AFTER moving the pump up front.
Agree to make sure the tank is clean and all that stuff.
Of course the situation is much worse for a carbed car not using a return line, as the return equipped cars keep cool fuel circulating.
Barefoot
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 24 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #12

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

One of the very few things that he wrote that I disagree with. Vapor lock is real. It happened on a regular basis on my 1955 Chevy. A wooden clothes pin on the fuel line solved the problem. It's real on the 914 too. My 1.7 would just die till it cooled down a bit. I was afraid to drive when it was over 95°, and that's a lot around here. Carried a water gun to squirt the pump and cool it down. I moved the pump to the front trunk and it never happened again in 30 years.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 24 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #13

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

"Wait a second on the fuel lines; didn't the factory use the same nylon lines AFTER moving the pump up front."

No. The late cars used a different type of fuel lines rated for the pressure. Early cars had a white pvc type tubing. 75/76 had the black vinyl.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 24 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #14

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, vapor lock. In July of '73 I took my brand new 1.7 on a road trip from SoCal to Colorado, after the recommended 600 mi. break-in and oil change. Had the same symptoms: loss of power, non-start, wait for cool down then starts and runs normal. Happened about four times. When I took it back to the dealer they just nodded their heads and said, "we'll take care of it." Moved the pump up front and never had the problem again.
+Quote Post
914outlaw
post Jun 24 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #15

Dave

Member No.: 11,800

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 24 2016, 01:11 PM) *

One of the very few things that he wrote that I disagree with. Vapor lock is real. It happened on a regular basis on my 1955 Chevy. A wooden clothes pin on the fuel line solved the problem. It's real on the 914 too. My 1.7 would just die till it cooled down a bit. I was afraid to drive when it was over 95°, and that's a lot around here. Carried a water gun to squirt the pump and cool it down. I moved the pump to the front trunk and it never happened again in 30 years.

I don't disagree. Just thought I'd give Jaime another option to look at. From the Cap's experience.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 24 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,673

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 24 2016, 01:18 PM) *

"Wait a second on the fuel lines; didn't the factory use the same nylon lines AFTER moving the pump up front."

No. The late cars used a different type of fuel lines rated for the pressure. Early cars had a white pvc type tubing. 75/76 had the black vinyl.

Good to know, thanks much.
Barefoot
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 24 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I've done quite a bit of driving in hot weather, stop and go traffic, and so on. I have experienced vapor lock exactly once. In the Nevada desert, in late June, with ambient temps well into triple digits, grinding up a long hill.

SLOP (Sudden Loss Of Power), the tach was reading the correct RPM, taking it out of gear killed the engine, putting it back into gear spun the engine back up again. Pulled over and checked the fuel pressure gauge in my engine bay--ZERO pressure. That is either vapor lock or a bum fuel pump... I dumped some water up in the front corner of the engine bay, and then jumped the fuel pump relay to run the pump. For about 30 seconds at a time, until the fuel pressure built up.

And I got on my way again. The behavior did not repeat.

--DD
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 24 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

IMHO One of the contributing factors is the hot air from the heater system.

When ever the engine is running air is always being blown through the heat exchangers. It flows from the engine fan housing through the heat exchangers and out through the flapper valves (heat control valves). When you pull up on the heat lever you open the flapper valve and route some of that air into the passenger compartment. When you are not using the heater all the hot air is dumped out of the flapper valve through the bell shaped cover. The passenger flapper valve is very close to the fuel pump and all that hot air (on a hot day when you are not using the heater) dumps into the lower right front corner of the engine compartment where the fuel pump is. This has to add to adds to the heat soak of the fuel pump.

So getting the hot air discharged from the heat exchanger away from the fuel pump is helpful, especially considering it hot ambient air coming into the engine fan and then into the heat exchanger where it is heated even more.

On several car I have removed the bell from the passenger flapper valve and added a short piece of corrugated aluminum flex tubing and bent it to route the heated air away from the fuel pump. The flex tubing is the type used on some VW defrosters or some heated air cleaners on domestic cars, about 1 1/2 inch diameter. Use a hose clamp to hold it on and point it down and back away from the pump.

Works well and is cheap and quick.
I like cheap and easy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Jim
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 24 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 24 2016, 07:15 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) You've been saying that since God was a little boy.

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 24 2016, 10:11 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was born about 200 miles south of you and will vouch for vapor lock. And, I used to do the the same clothes pin trick on my 283, '56. As far as the Cap'n, may he rest in peace, I believe he never saw a vapor lock issue; ever! But then again he probably never saw a water pipe freeze. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) We are in California after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Besides, Porsche knew vapor lock was real enough to address the matter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Yet every year, just about now, the debate emerges from it's hibernation.

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 24 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Curt, mine were clear. Well, brown, tan and opaque. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jun 24 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #20

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

With all due respect to the Cap'n (God rest his soul), I also know that vapor lock is real. A nagging problem in my 65 mustang until I added a phenolic carb spacer.

Anyone else ever notice that the good Cap'n's posts often contain the words "...in x years, I've never seen it" as his basis for dismissing the problem? And how, exactly did he become Krusty?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:53 PM