Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> heat bellows and cable, best sources for 914 parts
J3 Cub Guy
post Jul 27 2016, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,097
Region Association: North East States

Hey new 914 owner looking for parts and info. MY new toy doesn't have the bellows that heats and exspands ,pulls cable to lift open flaps to cool the engine. Heck the manuals don;t even talk about this part. Can I just wire open the flaps? Yeah it will take longer to warm up. Any help out there??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jul 27 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Generally you want the car to heat up to temp as quick as possible. The part you're talking about is called a thermostat. Some people have used a thermostat from other VW engines (Type 1 Beetle, etc) with some success.

There is also a version that many refer to as a "Mexican" thermostat, though it was never on Mexican beetles, I believe it's an aftermarket part from Brazil or Argentina. This part does not "fail-safe" but there are also no reports of them ever failing. Take it as you will.

The system is set up so that the thermostat fails in the "safe" position, a spring should open the flaps if the thermostat looses it's thermostat-ing ability. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jul 27 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I recommend buying a new German one from this guy:

http://awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_ne...ed_rebuilt.html

He has the cable as well.

I bought one last winter & I'm quite happy with it.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Jul 27 2016, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 27 2016, 07:42 AM) *

I recommend buying a new German one from this guy:

http://awesomepowdercoat.com/thermostat_ne...ed_rebuilt.html

He has the cable as well.

I bought one last winter & I'm quite happy with it.

I got one from him it was good quality and works fine, can reccomend
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jul 27 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

It's pretty hard to outsmart a German engineer. I got lucky and the cable had hopped off the pulley. It warms up faster, the heater works sooner, and engine wear should be reduced.

As mentioned above, the flaps are pulled closed by the thermostat against spring tension and if the thermostat fails, the spring opens the flaps. Assuming the flaps and spring are still in there.
+Quote Post
J3 Cub Guy
post Jul 28 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,097
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 27 2016, 09:46 AM) *

Generally you want the car to heat up to temp as quick as possible. The part you're talking about is called a thermostat. Some people have used a thermostat from other VW engines (Type 1 Beetle, etc) with some success.

There is also a version that many refer to as a "Mexican" thermostat, though it was never on Mexican beetles, I believe it's an aftermarket part from Brazil or Argentina. This part does not "fail-safe" but there are also no reports of them ever failing. Take it as you will.

The system is set up so that the thermostat fails in the "safe" position, a spring should open the flaps if the thermostat looses it's thermostat-ing ability. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Hey thanks for the info guys. Mine still has the springs in there holding them open!! Heck I thought they were closed!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I found a thermosat wire and jumped on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:28 AM