Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1972/73 1.7 deceleration valve? and a couple other Qs, need to know if im supposed to have one!
Lowsquire
post Jul 27 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,926
Region Association: Southwest Region

hey all,
I've got a 10/72 build 1.7 and it came with all the FI components in a box, seemingly rebuilt..Im currently working out where the hell it all goes and what connects to what.
Some diagrams Ive found show a decel air bypass valve and some dont. Does anybody know for sure if a late 72 (titled as 73 ) car would have one? its the only thing not included in the box of bits.

another question..air filter. Its the round plastic housing.
Has anyone worked out which commonly available (wix,K&N etc..) air filter fits nicely in these? part no. would be great. Thank in advance.

(I don't post much as I've found the answer to nearly every question I've had so far in the archives of this site.. very handy!)

Just recieved a huge box of seals from 914rubber.com, so off to the garage to fit it all up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 27 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #2

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

72 should have a decel valve. My old 72 did. I think only 70-71 did not.
Your air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. It doesn't use a paper filter. Open it up and put any weight oil in it up to the fill line.

Edit...I just saw you said your car is titled as 73. Model year is determined by VIN, not build date. If your VIN starts with 473...you have a 73. I think 73's might have had a paper filter in the air cleaner. I'm not sure when they switched. Someone else can verify.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 27 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 27 2016, 12:22 PM) *

72 should have a decel valve. My old 72 did. I think only 70-71 did not.
Your air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. It doesn't use a paper filter. Open it up and put any weight oil in it up to the fill line.

Edit...I just saw you said your car is titled as 73. Model year is determined by VIN, not build date. If your VIN starts with 473...you have a 73. I think 73's might have had a paper filter in the air cleaner. I'm not sure when they switched. Someone else can verify.

'73 1.7's do have a paper filter. Unfortunately, the filter is no longer available. There's a NAPA filter that is close (there's a thread on this forum about it), but you need to make an adapter plate for the bottom to make it fit -- the filter is the right height and right O.D., but has a larger I.D and won't seal on the bottom of the filter housing without an adapter plate.
+Quote Post
Lowsquire
post Jul 27 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,926
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks for that!
okay so ill hunt down a Decel valve and have a look for that thread about airfilters. mine is a paper element. Vin starts 473 so its a '73. build date oct72.

appreciate the help.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:21 AM