Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Okteenerfest Odyssey!, I'm still concerned about what I should prepare before....
Jamie
post Aug 30 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

... making the journey to Okteenerfest in my 73 1.7L original condition 'teener. I will jump on US 421 near my home near Lexington KY and head down into the mountains on an unfamiliar road. I'm told it will certainly have the twisties and mountain grades to climb, so it should get me ready for whatever Banner Elk has to offer. I'll have my AAA and credit cards ready, and phone reception will probably be sketchy. My teener is named "Dad's Mistress," and we've attended 2 previous Okteenerfests on the "Dragon" with this bunch, and had a ball! Mistress won the award for "Most Original" last time out, so we're coming to defend her title. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) I've checked about every function of the car I can, valves are adjusted, oil level OK, tires and wheels good to go, bled brakes, I do keep her in good operating condition, with no runs, drips or known errors. So my question to the braintrust here is what else needs attention in a car with 54K but 43 yrs. old? This is going to be a significant 8 hr. journey for an old car with an old driver! I know Clay is coming from further away, but he's a skilled mechanic and a young whippersnapper compared to my 72 yrs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 30 2016, 09:31 PM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

Id say be prepared , it sounds like the car is well sorted and has made long trips before, so you should be fine but if you are concerned maybe you could trailer it there? I am considering that option, although I drove mine last 2 years and this year it's already been driven 980 miles to CT, then back home 1100 miles as well just 2 weeks ago. I know how well sorted my car is and that is what only you know- I have with in the past 2'yeara replaced all suspension parts, brakes calipers, etc etc etc. no worries there.
Bleed brakes, tune and timing, bring extra parts- fuses, relays, tools , jack, I have an emergency bag with flares, tools parts and may drive all the way, but I have a friend coming with and I just may rent a car hauler to trailer the car on, and pull it behind the truck(Navigator L with full tow package). My car is not as clean and original as yours. If I were you I would tow- if you don't have a tow vehicle, maybe borrow one or invite a friend that has one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Either way hope you make it safe and look forward to seeing your car again this year!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 31 2016, 04:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

Also if you will PM me I willsend you my phone number. If anything goes wrong we can help you as much as possible.

You are going to like this year!
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Aug 31 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #4

Panel beater

Member No.: 17,469

I wouldn't be too worried. The mistress will probably do just fine. I think your butt will probably give out before anything else does lol. take your time and reach out to any of us if there are issues. Look forward to seeing you there!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 31 2016, 06:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

It sounds like you will have no problem...other than those worst case scenarios.

I second your "tail" being most exposed on this trip...

Tony
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Aug 31 2016, 06:40 AM
Post #6

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Drive it and don't worry. Have fun. If you end up getting close, someone can come rescue you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Aug 31 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,585

I would drive it. Just bring tools and the common replacement stuff. I have (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) from Baltimore the last 2 years and will again this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Aug 31 2016, 07:13 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 31 2016, 04:28 AM) *

It sounds like you will have no problem...other than those worst case scenarios.

Tony

I did recently have some additional seat padding added to the rather flat seat,and was sorely tempted to replace the old seat with a new one from a known supplier. Looking forward to the adventure, but do have a habit of anticipating possible mission failures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Wdunster
post Aug 31 2016, 07:15 AM
Post #9

Panel beater

Member No.: 17,469

QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 31 2016, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 31 2016, 04:28 AM) *

Tony

I did recently have some additional seat padding added to the rather flat seat,and was sorely tempted to replace the old seat with a new one from a known supplier. Looking forward to the adventure, but do have a habit of anticipating possible mission failures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

It's all good we have your back.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 31 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

I'll come bail you out if you can show me three non-original items. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Tony

[5[b]quote name='Wdunster' date='Aug 31 2016, 09:15 AM' post='2392398']
[quote name='Jamie' post='2392397' date='Aug 31 2016, 09:13 AM']
[quote name='Cracker' post='2392391' date='Aug 31 2016, 04:28 AM']

Tony
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's all good we have your back.
[/quote]
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Aug 31 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

My dad's Triumph group travels in packs and they carry enough spare parts between them all to build a complete Triumph if they need to. The stories they got going to and from are almost better than the event itself.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Aug 31 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Coffee and donuts
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Aug 31 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #13

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737

Jamie,

The shape that car is in is unbelievable and the care that you have taken is very commendable. Have a spare clutch & Accelerator cable with you and other little possible parts they could cause a breakdown. Your weather should be cool enough, just take it easy on the 1.7 and you will arrive without incident.

Good Luck and have a great time!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 31 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #14

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Vysoc @ Aug 31 2016, 08:32 AM) *

Jamie,

The shape that car is in is unbelievable and the care that you have taken is very commendable. Have a spare clutch & Accelerator cable with you and other little possible parts they could cause a breakdown. Your weather should be cool enough, just take it easy on the 1.7 and you will arrive without incident.

Good Luck and have a great time!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

..... & check also that your transaxle to underside of trunk floor ground strap is getting good ground at the connections & in good condition (bad ones can fry the clutch cable instead while finding another ground route) ....

- then I'd add a new fan belt + tools to change it & any other stuff, few quarts of oil with the ZPPD for classic cars (since local stations may not have it on hand), check all 5 tires for any cracks/checking in treads & on both sidewalls & DOT date code (replace if over 7-8 years by DOT code on sidewall, even if they look good on the outside) ....

Then Coffee up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif) .... & have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Aug 31 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #15

Thanks Tom, and I'm in good shape with most of your suggestions. Transmission was rebuilt including clutch, PP and TO bearing 4 yrs. ago. Michelin Pilots are 2 yrs. old, Mistress has never burned or leaked any oil between changes, new fan belt 2 yrs. ago and I should carry a spare, but I've never checked the ground strap as you suggest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:42 AM