Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Found 914/6 Value Help Please
Karguy12
post Dec 8 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,656
Region Association: None

I am no Porsche expert although I have owned a few over the years. Ran across a 914 in a warehouse that is supposedly a 914/6. It has a 914/6 VIN stamped into the front right apron that looks factory (914043xXXX) The engine numbers match, trans numbers match and it has all of the 914/6 details that I could find like five bolt Fuchs, correct gauges, ignition, wiring harness, engine mounts, oil cooler, rear valance, etc. But the owner says he does not think it is a real 914/6 car. It has been in the warehouse for over 30 years and needs restoration but it is a very solid and straight car.

Engine is out as is the trans. The rear fuchs are a little wider than the fronts. The owner is asking me to make him an offer. So what I need to know is
a. What is this car worth if it has ALL of the 914/6 stuff and it is NOT a real car?, and
b. What would it be worth in this condition if it WAS a real car?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 8 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Karguy12 @ Dec 8 2016, 08:04 PM) *
It has a 914/6 VIN stamped into the front right apron that looks factory (914043xXXX)

That is a real /6 VIN.

However, the car could still be stitched together. You won't know until you can inspect the underbody more closely.

Assuming that it is a real /6 and nothing major is missing, that it has the numbers matching engine and trans, i'd say you're looking at a minimum of 50k ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

PS: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 8 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

If the owner does not think it is a real six let him put a number on what he thinks it is worth. Might be a a lot less than what they go for. As Andy said it need a much closer look. Minor detail but it has a rain tray an 6' did not have one. Could be a swapped lid. Why is the engine and trans out? Engine turn over?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2016, 06:13 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Does it have mounts or evidence of once having the engine mounts from a four cylinder car? They aren't impossible to hide but it takes a bit of work.

There are small differences on a 6. Like reduced strength torsion springs for the engine lid since it didn't have a rain tray. I think the stamping in the trunk might be different in a 6. But if it has the engingine mounts for the crossbar of a four cylinder engine. Bingo!
+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 06:59 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 9 2016, 07:13 AM) *

Does it have mounts or evidence of once having the engine mounts from a four cylinder car? They aren't impossible to hide but it takes a bit of work.

There are small differences on a 6. Like reduced strength torsion springs for the engine lid since it didn't have a rain tray. I think the stamping in the trunk might be different in a 6. But if it has the engingine mounts for the crossbar of a four cylinder engine. Bingo!

I will have to go back and check more details. So let's say it DOES have the -4 engine mounts. What would the value of the car be with all of the correct 914/6 parts? Basically a regular 914 with all of the parts from a 914/6 including a correct VIN that looks original and un-tampered with? The VIN it has does not appear in any registry.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2016, 07:23 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Karguy12 @ Dec 9 2016, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 9 2016, 07:13 AM) *

I will have to go back and check more details. So let's say it DOES have the -4 engine mounts. What would the value of the car be with all of the correct 914/6 parts? Basically a regular 914 with all of the parts from a 914/6 including a correct VIN that looks original and un-tampered with? The VIN it has does not appear in any registry.

Its up to you if you want to get involved with a vin switched car. It could be anywhere from a hassle with your DMV to a illegal vehicle. You might want to get some independent legal advice before you purchase.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 9 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

To many variables really. Pull it out and take some pictures and look at the entire car as well as the underneath. How did you verify the VIN, engine and transaxle are all original to the same car? Oh, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Lots of knowledgable people here, but you need to provide more info for them to go from to form a basis for a value.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Dec 9 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #8

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

I see that it has a 914-4 engine lid drip pan.
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Dec 9 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

Without knowing the complete VIN there is much speculation in it.

In some well known archives or databases there will be some additional information. Perhaps it is mentioned what happend in the past with the car.

First I would advise you to ask one of these experts here:

http://www.stazak.com/914reg/reg.html

http://p914-6info.net/index.htm

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/sales_history_9146_916

Good Luck!
+Quote Post
6freak
post Dec 9 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #10

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) pictures sir! but look n at the rain tray and the wheels i smell a fish
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 9 2016, 09:50 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That's a 1970 VIN, so it should have non-retractable seat belts, a field passenger seat, and no flat metal circular support around the front spare tire. Check the VIN on the windshield pillar as well. The ignition key should be on the left of the steering column.

There's nothing bad about a converted six, in fact they're actually a better car due to the many updates that most owners have made. However, if the VIN has been tampered with, run away as fast as you can or you'll be facing legal troubles down the road!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 9 2016, 10:30 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

rain tray, there is a first for everything
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 9 2016, 10:40 AM
Post #13

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

In the 47 years since these cars were made a lot could have happened to them. Worth checking it out in person. Who knows maybe it is legit despite a couple issues from the picture. Could be a decent car.

The only thing that would cause me to walk away from it, assuming the condition is as it appears in the photo for the entire car, is a VIN swap. I have no idea if that is the case here, and do NOT want to infer that is the case, just saying. Good luck.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 9 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #14

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 8 2016, 11:51 PM) *

If the owner does not think it is a real six let him put a number on what he thinks it is worth.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Ask what they are thinking; you'd need to know anyways. Unless we're talking about a little old lady selling off the cars from her late husband to keep a roof over her head, or some other situation like that, its the seller's responsibility to research and know what they have. Don't give any cards out.
+Quote Post
post Dec 9 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Karguy12 @ Dec 8 2016, 08:04 PM) *

I am no Porsche expert although I have owned a few over the years. Ran across a 914 in a warehouse that is supposedly a 914/6. It has a 914/6 VIN stamped into the front right apron that looks factory (914043xXXX) The engine numbers match, trans numbers match and it has all of the 914/6 details that I could find like five bolt Fuchs, correct gauges, ignition, wiring harness, engine mounts, oil cooler, rear valance, etc. But the owner says he does not think it is a real 914/6 car. It has been in the warehouse for over 30 years and needs restoration but it is a very solid and straight car.

Engine is out as is the trans. The rear fuchs are a little wider than the fronts. The owner is asking me to make him an offer. So what I need to know is
a. What is this car worth if it has ALL of the 914/6 stuff and it is NOT a real car?, and
b. What would it be worth in this condition if it WAS a real car?

First you're one lucky guy to have come across this find. It sure beats buying a 914 that has been sitting out side in the elements...where you possibly have to replace say 1/3 of the chassis. I'm not saying its bad,but at what cost and time.

Regarding some of the posted suggestions, they are great...as in school, do your homework. Regarding the rain tray ..how about the original owner updated this to protect the 40 mm webbers?

Good luck with your journey.
+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 9 2016, 08:24 AM) *

To many variables really. Pull it out and take some pictures and look at the entire car as well as the underneath. How did you verify the VIN, engine and transaxle are all original to the same car? Oh, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Lots of knowledgable people here, but you need to provide more info for them to go from to form a basis for a value.

The engine/trans numbers are within the range of what was supposed to be on that production run. I have not purchased a COA. I am interested in the car to drive and enjoy. The car is being sold by a family member since the brother moved out of the country 25 years ago and has no plans of returning. It is ONLY being sold on a "make an offer" basis and I am currently the only one they are asking. They will then relay the offer for a yes or no. Yes, I have seen the car in person so it is not an internet scam. I can't talk to the actual owner because he is in Spain and just does not want to be bothered at all and has given the brother the right to sell the car with a free and clear title and a power of attorney. I will be going back next week with more details to check thanks to the suggestions here as well as research I've done. That's why I am trying to figure out what this is worth based on the "Real" or "not real" scenarios. I know i can finish it, drive it, enjoy it and register it as-is with no problems. I just want to know value wise for real or not real so when I figure out what it really is, my offer is within range for what it really is.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Dec 9 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,889

Looking it at if from a different perspective, It's going to cost anywhere from 30K to 50k in parts and paint to restore. . plus about a year of your labor. . so the buy in has to be low enough to justify final investment. . . until you know the extent of repairs, motor build and trans work it's just a wild ass guess. Missing Six parts are expensive to locate and purchase.
Given what you pictured, I'd not want to pay much more than 20K assuming everything is there and the vin's are all correct, not swapped. Putting a Six back to correct factory
produced condition is a time and money consuming investment. Done right, full restoration with numbers matching motor and trans, it's an 80K car as a driver and upwards to 100K if absolutely 100% Concour perfect.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 9 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #18

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The biggest question to me is the VIN. If it is in fact a 914-4, then it has had a VIN swap. That is a potentially HUGE issue--as in spending time in a Federal penitentiary huge. (Very unlikely for a buyer, but at the least it could lead to uncomfortable questions from Federal agents and the car getting crushed.)

We know of a silver Six sold recently that is in fact a -4 with a Six VIN retrofitted onto it. (Do a search, there are a couple of threads on it here.) Very Bad Stuff.

If it can be argued that it is a Six with a bunch of -4 pieces on it, that is safer.

If it is indeed a real Six and un-tampered, it can be worth some money. But restoration will not be cheap. For instance, a stock rebuild on the engine can run well into five figures.

--DD
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Dec 9 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Does it have this set of gauges? Note the unusual temperature scale, also the tach would have the 911T redline at 6200 but for the 914-6 the redline graphic is much narrower than on the 911T tach. Also a real 6 should have the chassis number stamped in the floor of the rear trunk towards the rear and centered, the 4's had the number stamped more towards the passenger side of the rear trunk floor.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 9 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Ok I will give you a number

914-4 offer 2,000

914-6 offer 40,000
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:11 AM