Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Passenger seat stuck?
scallyk9
post Feb 22 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, this is a new one for me and I can't find a solution in search regarding my new to me '74 914 LE. The driver's side track release works fine and I can move the seat fore and aft easily but the Passenger seat seems to be welded to the rail.

The handle is intact and I can pull it up or down, verified with a flashlight. Unfortunately it is stuck in the furthest aft position so as to obscure access from the rear. Could it be a rust problem? Or possibly is the spring missing.

Does anyone know of a technique or trick to get it to release?

No I really don't want to go in by cutting the bottom of the floor pan!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Feb 23 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The release lever moves a small metal block attached to it's underside to lift it out of the seat track. Remove the driver's side seat to examine the mechanism. You may need to use one sort of metal or wooden bar to reach the release block if it has somehow gotten stuck.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 23 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a NOS full release lever with handle and can see the 3 square nubs on the underside. I tried a long blade-type screwdriver but the thickness of the shank doesn't give me any room to lift upwards at the blade end.

The side tilt/lift lever doesn't function either because the seatback is flat against the back panel.

I'll try to find some metal rod that is long enough and thin enough to allow something placed on the track to act as a fulcrum. I haven't found other than mild surface rust on this car and none of the driver seat apparatus is rusted at all.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 23 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Had the same issue with a parts car once. Took two people to move forward enough to get access to the floor mounting bolts. One person sat in the seat pulled up on the handle and tried scooching the seat forward while the other used a long handled pry bar to inch the seat forward.

Once removed from the car it took lots of lube and a BFH to get the seat rails to slide off the track. The actual seat track (bolts to the floor) was bent in the front. How (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 23 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

A long flat screwdriver should work. You don't need to pry up with the screwdriver, just slide it in under the rail. It doesn't take much to release. Maybe it is a rusty/stuck rail situation? Maybe try soaking the rails best you can with a penetrating lubricant and repeat? Maybe slip a plank behind the seat to pry against the firewall while the release is loose to see if a little extra pressure will help it move?
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 23 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #6

Thanks. I have a pencil beam LED light on a stalk that I got down the rail and I'm not seeing any rust. Then I tried the long bladed screwdriver and I can easily raise the lever, seemingly enough, but it wouldn't budge. The lift release lever near the passenger door works but the seat won't rise because the back of it is tight into the back upholstery. The bent bolt thing is odd but I've found a few odd things on this car.

Now for the PRY bar! My seats and rear piece are in excellent condition which I maybe can protect with towels around wood blocks. Will try.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 23 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

There's a difference between the seat angle adjuster and the slider. I'm finding it hard to tell if we're talking about the same thing. DON'T fall back to using force. It's not hard, you must have an unusual situation. Don't bend things.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 23 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 23 2017, 05:31 PM) *

There's a difference between the seat angle adjuster and the slider. I'm finding it hard to tell if we're talking about the same thing. DON'T fall back to using force. It's not hard, you must have an unusual situation. Don't bend things.

I'm aware of the difference. I'm referring to the slider, but if the seat is all the way back, you can't adjust the seat angle because the upper section butts up against the indent in the firewall upholstery. I was trying to raise it to see if something was blocking the slider. Like a bolt that was mentioned...anything actually.

The slider itself is working and I can lift the 3 nubs that fall into the slots when operated with the front handle or with a large screwdriver. I can sense the spring pushing it down so it seems to function just like the driver's seat but simply will not budge at all and I can't pull the seat forward.

There is not enough room behind the seat for a really BIG hammer, or I'd do my usual repair. No room for duct tape either, my second favorite tool.

+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 23 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #9

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 23 2017, 07:31 PM) *

I agree. When I said I used a pry bar to inch the seat forward that was to get just enough room to get behind the seat and undo the bolts that hold the frame to the hinges. Once they were undone the I was able to lift the seat out and work on getting the seat of the seat frame.

When the seat was all the way to the back I was able to put the pry bar on edge of the seat rail itself and a small block of wood by the backpad and gently pry forward while someone else sat in the seat and pulled up on the handle. I did remove the arm rest also so I could get to the other sides seat rail and do the same thing. It was a PITA, but worked.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 26 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #10

Update: I haven't tried leverage to force my passenger seat forward yet, as I thought I'd spare my neighbors from possible cursing during the weekend. BUT, I've noticed something that seems odd and may explain the problem.

The whole seat assembly is canted towards the console with the outboard (not the pull-up slider lever side) seat rail about 3/4 inch forward of the opposite side. Plus the vinyl on the firewall padding is slightly torn on that side as if someone might have used a pry bar to force that side forward but didn't follow through with the other (left) side. Hmmm. Do I remove the center console and leverage that side forward or try to force the right side back?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 26 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #11

Cross Member

Try torquing things in the right direction. It's binding, so push back on one side, forward on the other, in the rotation that leans toward straightening things. Maybe it will jiggle loose and straighten up?
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 26 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I would try to remove everything you can surrounding the seat to resolve this issue.

I had one of my prized Scheels stuck in my driver car. I put them in the car to drive it to a PCA event, and then came home to find I couldn't get the passenger seat out.

I sat in the seat and got it to inch forward a bit at a time, then pried it out carefully with a towel wrapped 2 x 4.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:27 AM