Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 914-6 past history
Jason 914-6
post Mar 23 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,069

Hi,
Hoping someone can shed some light on my 914-6 past history.
What I know so far is that the car was last rego 1982 in Rhode Island, in 2002 it was sold on Evil bay in the ad it says that the car had been in WA in storage since 1985.
I purchased the car from the guy that brought it. He had it shipped to Sydney NSW Australia ( and had a look and went holy sh!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)) , I purchased the car from him and it now lives in Queensland Australia. Has been in storage here for over 10 years and I will at some stage return it back to an original 914-6.

Any help with the history would be very helpful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Thanks to Larry LEE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) for the ad info he doesn't have any thing else on it.

The following was found on www.ebay.com 9 June 2002
1970 Porsche : 914 914/6
914/6 Factory 914-6 Restore or Donor Car Item # 1834254263
Item located in: Passenger Vehicles : Porsche : 914
Seller gio@sprynet.com
Location Woodinville, WA
Country/Region United States/Seattle-Tacoma

· 106344 Miles · 6 - Cyl.
· 2 doors · Manual transmission
· Used · Clear title
· White Exterior - Black Interior
· VIN: 9140431269 Factory 914-6 Restore or Donor Car
Vehicle Description
Very Low Reserve: 1970 Porsche Factory 914/6 . VIN# 9140431269 Engine# 6404774 Indicated
Mileage:106,344 . This is an original 914/6. 914/6 6 cylinder engine with Weber Carbs,
rare, factory heat exchanger system (appears to be in pretty good shape). Tail shifter
transmission installed and side shifter transmission with correct mounts is included in
this auction. Factory Silver car with black interior and Appearance Group. This car has
just recently come out of long-term storage, and needs full restoration. It would make a
good donor car for building a 914/6 using a less rusty 914/4 or 914/6 body, for parts or
spares for an original 914/6. Finally, for someone wanting a challenge, replace underbody
sheetmetal, etc, and restore this car. In my opinion, the car has a good deal of rust,
especially in rocker panels, sills, floorpans and rear of rear trunk pan, battery tray.
No apparent dents or collision damage anywhere in the body, from what I can see. Inner
fenders, nose and rear are very straight. Paint is old, and in overall poor condition.
Rust spots in painted areas of body have been treated with rust stop chemical, and touched
up with silver paint. Glass is in very good condition, excellent windshield, overall good
condition trim. Solid doors. Original interior. I tried turning the engine over with a
wrench on the generator, and engine would not turn. It may need to be lubricated, or may
require dissassembly. Fuchs 14 in. Alloy wheels with Michelin XZX tires with 80% wear left.
(I will substitute the original, 1970 date stamped 15 in. wheels and hubcaps for these
Fuchs, if buyer wants these). I just purchased this car from a local 914 enthusiast who
owned this car since 1985. I own another very clean 914/6 set up for autocrossing track
and high performance street use which I will be selling this summer, so I know 914/6s
reasonably well. This car was looked at by a 914/6 expert mechanic today, and he felt the
car was nearly complete, with correct 914/6 engine and transmission and so on. The only
part he noticed to be missing is speedometer cable drive. I have 914/6 rear emblem,
but not installed. This mechanic outlined the major steps in converting a 914/4 to a
914/6, using a 914/6 donor car: Remove 914/4 engine mounts and install 914/6 mounts.
Drill holes for 914/6 oil filter, oil lines and oil tank. Change engine compartment wiring
harness to 914/6 harness. Install 914/6 relay(electronics) board. Install engine. Change
front struts and brakes, and A-arms if desired. Install 914/6 steering system and guages.
There certainly may be other, minor steps required.
On Jun-04-02 at 05:48:32 PDT, seller added the following information:
BODY/CHASSIS CONDITION UPDATE: A bidder asked if the rust on the car was surface or more
serious rust-through or holes? The rocker panels and sections of floor are heavily rusted
with major rust-through or holes. Rocker panels are largely gone. Other isolated underbody
areas have rust holes. RH door does not latch possibly because rockers are so far gone.
Back of rear trunklid has rust-through, and will not latch. Rear bumper has rust-through
at bottom. Many bolt-heads on engine and trans have heavy surface rust. I'm sure other
areas are rusty. No rust holes were found in Heat Exchangers from my visual inspection-oil
on the exchangers seems to have helped protect them. Because of rust, many would consider
this as a donor or parts car. However, its a valuable car that might be worth restoring.

CONDITION OF BRAKES: Front calipers were stuck, and were removed to allow car to roll.
They are of course included with car, as is spare, side shift transmission with mounts in
unknown condition. E-brake lever is not bolted to body. Brakes most likely will require
total restoration.

This car was listed for sale on ebay June 2002
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Mar 23 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Posting some pictures might help. Good luck with your search! Take a look in the VIN database here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94572

Greg
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 24 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jim Giordano has been peddling cars and projects/parts for years..

http://giocars.com/giocars/

http://www.stazak.com/914reg/1970c.html

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 24 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Yep thanks thats the car from it's best side I guess the fuzziness helps also LOL.
It doesn't look like it has been driven since 1982 still has an expired Rhode Island windscreen sticker on it with the mileage.
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 25 2017, 04:32 AM
Post #5

Here some pics of whats left. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 25 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Have to see all the pics, but it doesn't really sound like the seller misrepresented it much. More than once he says it would be good for parts and it would be a major project for restoration. He does put a positive spin on the ad, but also states the floors and longs are gone.
Too much cash and work back then, but with the /6 prices and the parts available from RD likely do-able now.
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 25 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #7

Yep I hope so, won't be starting work on it any time soon, might start gathering parts, so the cost is spread out.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 25 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

no matter ...you own a Factory SIX

I cant count the number of wrecked sixes I have collected parts from ..only wish I bought the whole car...Time Marches On...

including yours
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 25 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 25 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Yep I hope so, won't be starting work on it any time soon, might start gathering parts, so the cost is spread out.

If you need to collect Restoration Design steel over a long time I'd be willing to store a box for you till it's full. I go to the RD open house every fall (sept/oct), Pete at RD will vouch for me. RD is in Canada.

I'm Canadian so I know all about the expense of shipping, duties, etc. for us commonwealth mates.
Just a thought.
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Mar 26 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 25 2017, 11:32 AM) *

Here some pics of whats left. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Some more pics of the car in the long shot would be nice.
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 26 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #11

Some more pics if you're scared by extreme rust look away now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
Can't get any of the passengers side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 26 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2017, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 25 2017, 08:32 PM) *

If you need to collect Restoration Design steel over a long time I'd be willing to store a box for you till it's full. I go to the RD open house every fall (sept/oct), Pete at RD will vouch for me. RD is in Canada.

I'm Canadian so I know all about the expense of shipping, duties, etc. for us commonwealth mates.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the offer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Canadians are tops (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) I have 2 donor cars stored in a shipping container and quite a few usable panels/rust repair sections. I need to have a big clean out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) and check what I can use and what I'll have to source. Go the commonwealth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 26 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #13

that's what I do!

Well it's definitely going to be a project, but I've seen members start with worse.
Let's see some pics of the longs.

It's a six, done right it's not going to be cheap, but with the way /6 prices are going it's worth restoring it. The only real way of losing is if you abandon the project halfway through.
The way you sell it to the wife/GF is you tell her that at least she'll always know where you are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 27 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A real 6 with REAL rust. Even the gauge cluster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Good luck.
+Quote Post
Kaeferfreund
post Mar 27 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 16,172
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Mar 27 2017, 03:24 AM) *

Some more pics if you're scared by extreme rust look away now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
Can't get any of the left side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Holy shit!....that needs a lot (!) of work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Hope you have enough time and deep pockets.

But, a real "6" is worth being saved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_wirdgut.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 27 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Mar 27 2017, 01:16 PM) *
Can't get any of the left side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door

Holy shit!....that needs a lot (!) of work

I've seen worse being brought back to live. The good news is that most of the parts are there and numbers matching.

I see a lot of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) in your future ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Mar 27 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2017, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Mar 27 2017, 01:16 PM) *
Can't get any of the left side long/sill area as I'm not game to try and open the door

Holy shit!....that needs a lot (!) of work

I've seen worse being brought back to live. The good news is that most of the parts are there and numbers matching.

I see a lot of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) in your future ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yep It was a big gamble to buy it 10 years ago, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Will be about that long again before work starts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Its safe and won't rust any more in the shed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Michel
post Mar 28 2017, 05:33 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,286
Region Association: None

Jason I'm in oz Leo. have a 914 project aka GT SCHMUCK WANNABE that at the moment is making glacial progress.

I'll send you my number. Next time up your way if time interest catch up.

Cheers Michel
+Quote Post
Jason 914-6
post Apr 22 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #19

[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Mar 26 2017, 06:46 PM' post='2468623']
Well it's definitely going to be a project, but I've seen members start with worse.
Let's see some pics of the longs.

Is this bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 22 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #20

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Naah, a little duct tape, some tie-wraps, and you're good to go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:42 PM