Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the slippery slope..., Porsche 6-cylinder conversion
Optimusglen
post Jun 15 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

15 months ago I bought a crusty old 1971 914-4 that had been sitting in a garage for 20 years getting peed and chewed on by all sorts of creatures.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c2.staticflickr.com-19709-1497540074.1.jpg)

I started the project with a plan of it being driveable at the 1 year mark. Since then I've done an engine build, carb rebuild, brake rebuild with 5-lug swap, fuel system rebuild, interior rebuild, suspension rebuild, and some general freshening up. Oh, I forgot to mention that my wife and I had a baby too, safe to say it's been a pretty busy 15 months.

Here's the build thread if anyone's interested.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=277349&hl=

Anyway, the result is good. It's running and driving, the 1911 is strong and runs well. Handles great considering there are no sway bars. Tail shifter is as vague as you imagine though, and the engine is still sub 100hp so it's not incredibly fast.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1496565572.1.jpg)

It's first real public appearance was at the June C&C that I attended with a good friend in his 911.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1497540075.2.jpg)

Exiting a cloverleaf he pulled away like I was standing still. To add insult to injury a minivan pulled away too. This lit a little spark, I wanted more power. I started crunching numbers for building the type 4, goal is around 150hp. Can you get 150hp in a type 4 that's home built? Sure, lots of people have done it. But there's an even better, more expensive and headache inducing option...

A friend of mine owns Flat Six in Minneapolis, MN. About 40 minutes from me. Sent him a message inquiring about core 6 cylinders and ended up coming home with this.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1497540075.3.jpg)

It's a 2.2 from a 911T, the 125hp version. On top are a pair of Zenith carbs that will work fine for my purposes after a complete rebuild. It turns over smoothly and you can feel when it comes up on compression. Good signs for an otherwise unknown engine. If you had followed along in my build thread you'll know that I got some amazing deals, both for parts and for the car itself. The 6 does not disappoint in that regard, but I wont be sharing the details here.

Perhaps the best part of the deal is that he said if I get into it and find that anything is FUBAR, I can get a no-charge replacement from him since he has Parted several 2.2's. Again, this is a friend, I don't expect him to do this for anyone.

With his help we laid out a build plan. Going to get the T cams reground to the E profiles paired with higher compression pistons. Cylinders are iron so I can bore those. Goal is around 150ish hp. It'll be a "budget" build in the sense that I'm not going for huge power and will be doing the assembly/cleaning myself. I won't be cutting corners with machine work and inspection though.

I will be mating it with a side-shift trans using the early 911 flywheel. flywheel and bulkhead weld-in mount already on order. It's not likely that I'll be doing a conventional 914-6 oil tank, it just seems like so much money for what you get. We will see though, as time progresses I may change my mind.

This will be a driver, not trying to make it a show queen or original to a real 914-6. I want to keep the utility of both trunks but I want the mechanicals to be functionally excellent.

Time frame is significantly longer than the original build. Planning at least a year or two considering the work and money involved. I'll update this thread moving forward and not my original build thread, kind of a new chapter if you will.

Fortunately the 914 is perfectly driveable while I collect and rebuild. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So here's to the next chapeter, however expensive and time consuming it may be.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/media.giphy.com-19709-1497540075.4.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 15 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Quite a change! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Jun 15 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,487

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-14487-1497541658.1.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 15 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

It's only money and time and lots of it, but worth it.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 15 2017, 10:24 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

I can provide you a 6 tank kit for $350 if you want to weld it up?
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jun 15 2017, 10:35 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

Your plan is solid /drive while collecting parts is the way I did it.

Then sell the 4 to a deserving fella for his upgrade or starter mill / then prepare for the scenery out of the side windows to blurrrrrrrr as the crescendo of music. This, created by air down 6 throats, fan whirring its' siren song, chains and sprockets doing their coordinated dance moves in the middle of the repeated symphony thru the gears, and best of all, your hair (if you have any left after the conversion process) being pulled back in a negative G-force action akin to the action that made John Glen go bald prematurely ....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 15 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Great looking car, doing a "stockish" Type IV rebuild myself and it does add up quickly!

I see no /6 in my future so I'll have to live vicariously thru people like you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 15 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

I suppose i should add that i always have second oil tanks etc. I even jave a vellous tank I can make you a deal on.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jun 15 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 15 2017, 03:11 PM) *

I suppose i should add that i always have second oil tanks etc. I even jave a vellous tank I can make you a deal on.

My fun car fund is pretty depleted from buying the engine, flywheel, bulkhead mount, and carb kits. I'm not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars on a tank right now. If it's ridiculously cheap I would be open to it though, if that's the case shoot me a PM.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 15 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 16 2017, 08:33 AM) *

My fun car fund is pretty depleted from buying the engine, flywheel, bulkhead mount, and carb kits. I'm not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars on a tank right now. If it's ridiculously cheap I would be open to it though, if that's the case shoot me a PM.

Well done you will enjoy it,I find myself just starting mine to listen to the engine its that good...corny eh.
Feel free to email or PM me as I have the same engine in my conversion, happy to help in anyway.
Will be following this one for sure, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 15 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The stock 914-6 tank is a really nice way to handle the oil system. Fill, filter and hose connections all in one. Plus it sits in a place that doesn't take up any room in the car - if a little awkward to install.
Don't forget to budget for oil lines, oil console, engine tin, engine wire harness, engine cooler, throttle linkage, headers, exhaust hanger, exhaust, gauges, shift linkage, rain hats, starter (maybe) and all the extras that crop up along the way. Good luck and have fun.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 15 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 15 2017, 12:33 PM) *

My kits could be had for that much if you don't want it bent and a few other little things but you would have to weld it.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 15 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Your sick, very sick! Good luck with the build!
+Quote Post
Nie Zu Alt
post Jun 15 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,184
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Good luck with the build! I'll be following your progress.

BTW - Nice artwork!

Doug H.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 15 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 16 2017, 08:33 AM) *

Don't be put off by the Zenith carbs ,a careful rebuild bearing in mind the throttle shafts aren't worn (also Weber issue) you will be happy with them,wives tale they don't work, mine run nice,with a venturie upgrade and jetting changes you can make a little more power,as you are going to upgrade cams you will see further benefits in power.
They aren't a performance carb and were choked back for emissions, they where a modernized carb to reach that point before FI became standard fare even on the 2.4 T US models ,in Europe they retained them for longer.
Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jun 15 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Many of us are doing /6 conversions right now. We are all here to help. Get the best parts you can afford, and have patience.

Do take up Ben's offer on the external oil tank, you won't regret it.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Jun 17 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #17

Started the teardown and did some much needed garage cleaning.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1497729296.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 17 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

At least your car is 1 piece. My engine is still apart waiting on crank amd rods.. And my car is waiting on a floor pan and various other patch areas..
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 17 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 18 2017, 07:54 AM) *

Started the teardown and did some much needed garage cleaning.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1497729296.1.jpg)

Have you thought about just doing a tidy up,replace chain case gaskets,check chains and ramps,check rocker shafts for placement,reseal the trio of leaks on the top of the engine,resurface and reseal rocker covers after valve reset relace RMS and front seal etc etc.
I really don't know if you have a core motor or a previous good runner but I bought mine with little history did the above and have a wee jem,the above also is a good indicator of general condition ,anyway you head which ever way suits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Jun 17 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #20

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You will not regret this conversion... However a nice oil tank would be great, and an oil cooler up front for those hot summer days
You will never regret spending this money, and your resale will be greater...if that ever happens...and it does... a well planned six will always hold its value (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
But I understand the money thing too
That car looks great!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 08:58 PM