Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Monterey Auction results?
GeorgeRud
post Aug 21 2017, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Does anyone know the results of the Monterey auctions?i know a 914 1.8 went for big money, but I think a 914-6 was also being auctioned that weekend. Actually would like to see all the Porsche results.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Aug 21 2017, 08:52 AM
Post #2

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 21 2017, 07:41 AM) *

Does anyone know the results of the Monterey auctions?i know a 914 1.8 went for big money, but I think a 914-6 was also being auctioned that weekend. Actually would like to see all the Porsche results.

+Quote Post
flmont
post Aug 21 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

A. 1.8. Went for. 84. K.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 21 2017, 09:53 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...12837&st=33
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Aug 21 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #5

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164

Gotta love the lowest monthly payment...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Aug 21 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

Look at it this way y'all, the values of all our teeners just went up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
RARE 6
post Aug 21 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,337
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 21 2017, 05:12 PM) *

Look at it this way y'all, the values of all our teeners just went up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Re: the 1.8, I wouldn't get too excited. The unicorns always bring high bucks but seldom drag the rest of the breed up.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 22 2017, 07:44 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It seems that there is finally some love for Porsche's bastard love child with VW. The 1.8 certainly was a 'unicorn' with such low mileage, but the -6 was a honest result. Did anyone see that car in person?
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Aug 22 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 21 2017, 07:12 PM) *

Not sure why this is a good thing. Unless you are looking to profit off of your 914, all this would do is increase the cost of ownership. Parts go up, insurance goes up, repairs go up, ect...

Of course I'm coming from the side of not owning one, and at this rate I probably never will, but my appreciation of the 914 will never go away and will continue to live through this great forum and the people here.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 22 2017, 08:53 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 22 2017, 10:20 AM) *
Not sure why this is a good thing. Unless you are looking to profit off of your 914, all this would do is increase the cost of ownership. Parts go up, insurance goes up, repairs go up, ect...

Of course I'm coming from the side of not owning one, and at this rate I probably never will, but my appreciation of the 914 will never go away and will continue to live through this great forum and the people here.

I'm right there with you, and I'm an owner of two 914-4s. I was too late to the 911/964 parade, then too late to the 914-6 parade. I managed to stumble onto these at the right time.

There's no value to a true enthusiast for these rising prices. It benefits the collectors/investors/flippers. Just wait for the bubble to pop.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 22 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Chalk me up as another not so enthusiastic about 914 price rises. I don't think it does a lot for the hobby—other than maybe save some cars that would've been allowed to disappear. My 914 is an emotional/sentimental object, and so it's not for sale and thus the rise in values only means parts, insurance, etc. go up. With 356s and early 911s, it means they have become "event" cars rather than cars I still see out on the road randomly. Something is definitely lost there.

And six-figure sixes and near-six-figure fours are a reality I can't quite wrap my head around. Really? A 914 1.8 that costs more than a Ferrari F355? Or a niiiiice 996 GT3, maybe even with 3,000 miles on it? Or a high-mileage Ferrari 550 Maranello? Or a nearly new GT4? C'mon. Yet I am not sure a correction is coming. The early 911 market has felt like a bubble to me for about a decade, yet it has only gone one way with a few soft spots for "just okay" cars along the way. I think Porsche has maybe eclipsed Ferrari in terms of desirability, and the air-cooled cars have a huge advantage in terms of ease and cost of ownership. They were simple cars, and Porsche made a lot of them—and a lot of parts. The 914 finally appears to be following the minted 356, recently minted longhood 911, and even more recently minted 912.

With all that said, I think we are a very long ways away from the point where 914s are unapproachable. There are far too many dog-eared but save-able (translation: accessible) 914s out there, and there are still budget-minded ways to keep them on the road. And this, I think, is a very good thing.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 22 2017, 10:59 AM
Post #12

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 22 2017, 07:20 AM) *

I don't think you will see the parts cost go up. A good thing is that now it makes economic sense to restore them. So you will see more on the road. More parts will get made.

Right now you can buy good one for less than a Kia econo-box. Yes the prices on these have been depressed for some time. They have stated to get noticed. I would look at it as a sign to find your bliss. If you want to own one, do it. Only now if you buy one it may not just be a money pit but an investment. It'll sure be worth more than the kia when it's driven off the lot! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 22 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Did they serve drinks before the auction? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 22 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 22 2017, 08:20 AM) *

It reminds me of when the appraised value of our house increased by $60K in the first six months after we built it. Our friends kept saying that it should make us happy. I'd ask why, since we hoped this would be the last house we'd ever own. Until we sell it, it just means higher taxes for us.

I see two good things about values rising. One is that it's nice to have a rolling piggy bank in case I ever need a rainy day fund. The other is that it is easier to justify the $ I'm spending to restore the car. Other than that, there isn't much upside that I see.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 22 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Even the much-unloved 912 and 912E are bringing good money, sometimes close to comparable-year 911!!

Probably too late for the 928GTS and 944S4, but jump on those early 924s, 928s, 944s, and 968s as the next ones in line...plus, they're good cars.

For more random thoughts...I was much dismayed reading a "Letter to the Editor" in this month's Panorama, where some guy said he doesn't really like reading about old cars, he'd prefer the magazine to have more articles on the new(er) cars...like Motor Trend, Car&Driver, Road&Track, et al isn't enough...I attended a local chapter meeting a couple weeks ago and of the 4 dozen-ish cars that showed up I was probably one of four air-cooled cars (and 1 or 2 914s!) Most everyone around me had a newer car, and most were focusing on options and color codes...

Get off my lawn!!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 22 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Greg,

not what we see here, probably more older cars than newer ones at our chapter get togethers. yes lots of newer ones too. but at our last tech session there were a handful of older cars- 74 911, 912, 356. 914 etc older boxster, 944 - you get the idea. might be we have a lot of retired population that like and appreciate the older cars more. We also have an active De group and a bunch of older air cooled 911's, and a local shop that does tons of race prep builds, specialty is air cooled 911 so its easier to fit in somewhat-

Phil

- regarding the auction I was shocked and thought it might take $30k to buy that car- I don't think its indicative of actual values of the average 914 dd.
+Quote Post
wes
post Aug 22 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #17

wes

Member No.: 8,436

Just received this today from FLATSIX.Com. I'm guessing that higher $$ are with buyers fee!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 22 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Auction houses have a 10% house fee. Buyers pay it.

Guess the new-vs-old mix may have a lot do to with geography, too. There's a lot higher average income in CT versus, say, NC (or TX, where I'm from). Up here people generally just want to buy it.

But there's still enthusiasts. I stopped for fill-up recently in the 914 and a guy in the next pump with a Cayman S just wanted to talk about the 914. He did me the official color name...lol...
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Aug 22 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Crap, now I got to eat my words....... Thats if I ever get my 3.2 conversion back from PMS

My 1.8 before and after...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 22 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

It's hard to take a car that has been restored to the nth degree and sold at a big auction house and compare it to anything happening in the real world with a normal guy selling a normal car.
The analogy I use when people quote me what a car like this sold for at one of the big auctions and base the price of their car on it is a simple one. I say it's like Paris Fashion Week, if you watch it you will see an Yves St. Laurent gown go down the runway, if you wanted to buy it the cost would be in the tens of thousands. A year later you are at the mall and see a watered down version of that gown on the rack, it's semi-affordable. That what comparing one of these half million dollars cars to a rusty pile in the back of your garage, it's apples and oranges, yes they are both Porsches, but you can't really use the value of one as a basis for the value of the other.
It's like a few years ago I went to the side of a mountain to look at a B Coupe, the passenger's side door had a live snake looking at me, the driver's side had an ant-hill as big a my foot, and under the hood with a family of mice, a true eco-system. The guy said,
"B Coupes are bringing $75,000 now."
I agreed, and it would take $100,000 to get this car there, so do I get $25,000 for taking it?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:57 PM