Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windshield wiper lever swith problem, need info
carcus
post Aug 21 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Having a problem with my wipers, the wiring is good, but my mechanic is replacing the windshield wiper lever. Got 2 of them from a Auto Atlanta, the first one my mechanic tried did not work, the second one did not work on both speeds, now a 3rd one is being sent and Auto Atlanta said this is the last one and done. Car has been in the shop for quite a while dealing with the issues. I know getting new parts like this are almost unobtanium. I have a 1976 2.0 914. Not sure what to do after this. These could have been a bad batch of reman stuff from Auto Atlanta...went through that with a master cylinder before with them. Any suggestions?

Problem for wiper lever replacement: Wipers would not always turn off.

Motor checks good, wiper relay is good, wiring is good. The mechanic can get the wipers working fine by testing the wires.

This is not a slam at Auto Atlanta, but right now stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I give up, remove the wipers, cap them and call it a summer car?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Aug 22 2017, 06:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Get a wiper stalk from an early 924, they can be swapped in and then you can use an electric washer pump aswell.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tric_washer.htm
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Aug 22 2017, 07:44 AM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

1st suggestion is to not buy anything from Auto Atlanta.
You need a good used 914 switch.
924 switches are listed on ebay if you want to go that route.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Aug 22 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know a guy that just might have some. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
hndyhrr
post Aug 22 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,332
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Call these guys

http://www.partsheaven.com/Articles.asp?ID=250
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 22 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

75-76 take a completely different switch that the 72-74. Let me see what I have. I know where I might be able to pick up a NOS electric switch washer switch.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 22 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carcus @ Aug 21 2017, 09:46 PM) *

Having a problem with my wipers, the wiring is good, but my mechanic is replacing the windshield wiper lever. Got 2 of them from a Auto Atlanta, the first one my mechanic tried did not work, the second one did not work on both speeds, now a 3rd one is being sent and Auto Atlanta said this is the last one and done. Car has been in the shop for quite a while dealing with the issues. I know getting new parts like this are almost unobtanium. I have a 1976 2.0 914. Not sure what to do after this. These could have been a bad batch of reman stuff from Auto Atlanta...went through that with a master cylinder before with them. Any suggestions?

Problem for wiper lever replacement: Wipers would not always turn off.

Motor checks good, wiper relay is good, wiring is good. The mechanic can get the wipers working fine by testing the wires.

This is not a slam at Auto Atlanta, but right now stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I give up, remove the wipers, cap them and call it a summer car?

How sure are you that the motor is wired correctly. Not sure cause I have a 73 which is wired differently. I think that year may use a relay with a switched ground for the intermitant switch functions. So could be crossed wires.....
+Quote Post
carcus
post Aug 22 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 22 2017, 10:26 AM) *

75-76 take a completely different switch that the 72-74. Let me see what I have. I know where I might be able to pick up a NOS electric switch washer switch.

76/
Auto Atlanta said they were aware it was a 1976 and knew it was a different part. The 3rd replacement part is supposed to come in tomorrow. If that one fails, done with the Auto Atlanta parts. Slapping the OEM one on and getting the car back. I will take any good condition functional part for my 76. Do not want to go the 924 route, just want plug and play. All i need is slow, fast function. Cheaper, OEM, plug and play is what I really want. Some of these aftermarket parts really frustrate you...especially for a so called simple wiring system.

PM me if you guys have something for me, would be much appreciated. Waiting a month for at the mechanic for a dang wiper stalk in the middle of the good weather before winter comes is really taking a toll on me. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Worse comes to worse, I will cap the damn wipers and make it for non rain use only. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 22 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

I found some NOS SWF wiper switches in Spain but they are not cheap $150-$175 with shipping. I can pass the information on IF you want it. I will check the warehouse tomorrow to see if I have a used one.
+Quote Post
carcus
post Aug 22 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 22 2017, 08:46 PM) *

I found some NOS SWF wiper switches in Spain but they are not cheap $150-$175 with shipping. I can pass the information on IF you want it. I will check the warehouse tomorrow to see if I have a used one.

Sounds good. I will know more tomorrow if the 3rd aftermarket one fails from Auto Atlanta. Would prefer one from a source in the US. Regardless, I hope to get my car back tomorrow. Was getting some wire and ground issues fixed but sending parts back 3 times really took up most of the good weather time.

But one good note, a trusted board member who sells the umbrella covers had one left and I should be good for this winter. I can tell you that thing is really well made and heavy duty.

Funny thing is, I have a 750 HP supercharged 2015 Stang, but really miss the 914. The 914 is just so simple and pure, really wish I could have took my Euro Spec 914-6 back to the States from my overseas tour ending in 1993. Traded it to a Navy guy who shipped it to Japan. I got an Alfa Guilletta in return I later traded for a cup of cappuccino when the base closed. True story. Since our base was closing....the Italians wanted $200 cash to give your working car away to a junk yard they would sell for a MAJOR profit later on. As most of us military guys overseas who pick up used cars, they are Euro Spec and shipping them back would not be worth it. Base was closing so nobody wanted to buy my Alfa...did not want to give $200 to the Italian junk yard for a good car, so traded it to a Security Policeman who just arrived to close the base down. He thought I was nuts for car swap/cappuccino. $2 cup for free car, I am sure when he left paid the $200 junk fee.

Sorry, blithering.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 22 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Whole bunch of bad switches around,similar design(VW golf),last one I bought from the UK few years back had a dead short and popped fuses,got a free replacement same issue ,repaired the old one and all was good.
Someone mentioned a 924 switch...may work but not the same the 914 switch cause it came from a Mk1 Golf ,as it is a VW beetle part essentially appears some of the 914/VW repo's of them are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) ,also.
Get your money back and have a good search around or repair your old one it can be done,cheers

Edit ,bad info the 924 could well be ok,is it plastic or cast handle ...?have one in front of me now and its a plastic one off 924/944.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 22 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I installed a brand new switch for a 924 about 14 years ago. I know I had to do some trimming unfortunately I can't remember specifically what I had to do to make it work but I do remember it wasn't a very difficult modification. It has worked great since then.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 22 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Will this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-OEM-Wi...DQE&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 23 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

That's an early one. Side is too tall.

Another option is to change out the column. That is what I did on my 75. A pretty simple job.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 23 2017, 09:15 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

I found one in the warehouse. $35 shipped.
+Quote Post
carcus
post Aug 23 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2017, 09:15 AM) *

I will take it kind sir. Shoot me a PM and I can send the money via PayPal. Confirm it is functional and will work on a 1976 model.
+Quote Post
carcus
post Aug 23 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(carcus @ Aug 23 2017, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2017, 09:15 AM) *

I will take it kind sir. Shoot me a PM and I can send the money via PayPal. Confirm it is functional and will work on a 1976 model.

Well....standby. My mechanic said the last 2 from Auto Atlanta had the springs just fall apart. They are trying to rig it to get it to work. Right now they told me the stock one will not work back in the vehicle because it just fell apart. They said to get this POS Auto Atlanta part to work they will need to wire a switch to make the wipers park. Auto Atlanta said they have no more in stock. I think I am done with them. Every part I got from them was non functional or needed replacement. So frustrated and such a waste of time. I will know more Friday if I need the wiper stock. Please keep it on hold for me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:23 AM