Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is a fair price for front body pan replacement
carcus
post Sep 20 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My drivers seat got rotted under the pan. Looking for a fair price for labor. I have the replacement pan, one piece, from Pelican, been in the basement for a while. Needs to be welded in. I know that will be labor intensive. Seats come out, carpet, looking at getting this done as a all in one project. With the new pan being welded in, seats out, I also need the goop to make the rear window stop rattling. I forgot the name of the seal that tacks the rear seat window on. Should I do stainless steel fuel lines at the same time since the carpet will be ripped out, I have replacements ones just sitting there not glued. I would imagine, seats out, carpet just non glued sitting on there and rear window could get a new seal on it.....just labor for putting it all back in after the floor pan is cut out and new one welded in. Advice appreciated on cost. Would like it to be done with the winter snow coming up so I can leave it in a shop.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 21 2017, 07:37 AM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(carcus @ Sep 20 2017, 09:54 PM) *

My drivers seat got rotted under the pan. Looking for a fair price for labor. I have the replacement pan, one piece, from Pelican, been in the basement for a while. Needs to be welded in. I know that will be labor intensive. Seats come out, carpet, looking at getting this done as a all in one project. With the new pan being welded in, seats out, I also need the goop to make the rear window stop rattling. I forgot the name of the seal that tacks the rear seat window on. Should I do stainless steel fuel lines at the same time since the carpet will be ripped out, I have replacements ones just sitting there not glued. I would imagine, seats out, carpet just non glued sitting on there and rear window could get a new seal on it.....just labor for putting it all back in after the floor pan is cut out and new one welded in. Advice appreciated on cost. Would like it to be done with the winter snow coming up so I can leave it in a shop.

I'd talk to Cary. The problem you may find is that there could be rust hiding in the rear bulkheads and possibly tunnel. That's were it can get more expensive.
McMark is another option. Not sure but Brad Mayer at 914ltd may be of some help on this too.
Biggest problem is that you don't know until you open it up.

As far as the back window I sell the kit for $20

http://shop.914rubber.com/rear-window-rese...m?categoryId=-1
Mark
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 21 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

My rear floor pan turned into outer longs, some inner longs rebuild, fireway and the lower flange on the tunnel.. I have about 1300 in sheet metal and a bunch of time. I do this kind of stuff for a living and if I were to bid a job like it I would charge time and materials.. I could see a simple rear floor pan being done in 2 days (16 hours) and more extensive could be as much as 80 hours..

+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 21 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like the rear window has been leaking for a while. The variable you'll run into in the flange that welds the floor pan to the inner firewall. It too will rust so you have nothing to weld to. So that will need to be replaced or repaired.
Take a close look under the e-brake cable in the left corner.

Do you have a complete floor pan, or just the back half ?

You might need these also.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP311

Some of these ..............
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP313

A set of these ............
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP341

Four of these ........
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP347

When your paying someone by the minute to do the work its cheaper to replace the parts. Rather than pay them to harvest and refurbish the old. My .02.
Plus it's easier/faster ($$$) to weld new metal to new metal.
+Quote Post
cary
post Sep 21 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 21 2017, 07:07 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

My rear floor pan turned into outer longs, some inner longs rebuild, fireway and the lower flange on the tunnel.. I have about 1300 in sheet metal and a bunch of time. I do this kind of stuff for a living and if I were to bid a job like it I would charge time and materials.. I could see a simple rear floor pan being done in 2 days (16 hours) and more extensive could be as much as 80 hours..

Ben's covered it pretty well .............

16 hours if all the stars aligned (solid flanges) . 24-40 if you run into the usual issues. Very unlikely anyone would give you a bid on a 40 year old car. Too many variables. It takes, what it takes.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Sep 21 2017, 12:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

I replaced the floor on my 76 and it only took 3 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 21 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

QUOTE(carcus @ Sep 20 2017, 10:54 PM) *

its tough to estimate
I'd guess $1,500 - 4,000

it depends on what else is found in there
and there are many many 914 owners who regret going with the cheapest estimate and then finding their shell warped later, and the doors not fitting because of the quality of work that was done on the cheap

the best shop for welding/restoring a chassis in Colorado is in Denver. This guy is an artist and has done a few 914 GT cars now... but I would expect his estimate to be on the higher end. Many owners buy a welder and do this job themselves due to the extreme cost of this kind of work.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 21 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

Hey, is this the old Bob Dent car?
it looks like it could be.
he has passed now, but I raced against his car for years and very much miss Bob.

does it have special Bremtek calipers on the front?

brant

QUOTE(carcus @ Sep 20 2017, 10:54 PM) *

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:11 AM