Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I losing my mind?, Thoughts of selling 914-6
vintage914racer
post Oct 10 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,473

Recently I've toyed with the idea of selling my factory 914-6 and getting something newer I can squeeze my family in and enjoy together as a family. I've in the stage of life where I work more than I would like, spend less time with my family (son 5, daughter 3) than I would like and don't have a lot of free time to drive the 914-6. I'll probably put 500 miles on it this year.

The 914-6 has been part of my life as long as I can remember. It was my father's and when I was my son's age I remember going on drives in the car in between my parents in the front seat. That, of course, was when it wasn't culturally unacceptable to do something like that. Today my wife frowns upon even driving with one of the kids in the car, so there's a bit of irony I suppose that the car that's part of my familiy memories can't be shared with my own kids.

To that end, I was thinking of a 993 or something bit more modern I could squeeze the kids in and go on Midwest road trips. Coincidentally, the last Porsche my dad owned before passing away in 1999 was a 1995 993, and the choice of a 993 maintains a lot of sentimentality for me.

To this point I've done nothing other than ponder the idea. If I went through with it I'd still, and likely will always, keep the 914-6 conversion that I campaign in a handful of vintage events every year.

Here's a picture of the 914-6 for reference. It's a very solid driver. Rick918-S replaced and repaired the longs and pans several winters ago (extensive thread here) so it's as structurally solid as they come. It has the engine out of a 68S. If I keep it I'd like to get the body fixed up and painted so it's cosmetics match it's mechanical soundness.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 10 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If I owned that car, I would never sell it.
+Quote Post
halmil
post Oct 10 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,585
Region Association: None

Given the family history and sentimental value, I would never sell the car. Keep it to enjoy with your kids as they get older and tell them about their grandfather.

Get a 993 in addition for your current situation with the kids. I used to drive two of my kids to school every day in my 993. It was fun watching my little daughter crawl out of the back seat at school drop off!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 10 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

You are not out of your mind.

My first ever Porsche was a 1996 993C4S and is one of the few cars I wish I still had. That being said, I can understand that after years of ownership you may want to explore other options. Although the sentimental value is strong with this car, I have no doubt your dad would approve of you getting something you can build memories with your kids (his grandkids) in.

+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Oct 10 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #5

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Keep it. forever.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Oct 10 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(halmil @ Oct 10 2017, 02:28 PM) *

Given the family history and sentimental value, I would never sell the car. Keep it to enjoy with your kids as they get older and tell them about their grandfather.

Get a 993 in addition for your current situation with the kids. I used to drive two of my kids to school every day in my 993. It was fun watching my little daughter crawl out of the back seat at school drop off!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 10 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #7

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I remember that thread. An excellent, sympathetic restoration.

If you sell it, you'll wish you had it back. But, there are worse things than having fond memories. If you buy a 993 to enjoy with your family, you'll be creating your own family heirloom that your kids will remember fondly. It doesn't sound like the 914-6 is going to be a cherished memory for your kids so you're caught in a quandry.

At this point, the -6 is for you. Not to be critical, but the way you present the decision, keeping the -6 would be selfish, especially since you have another 914 to play with. Have you considered selling the conversion and using the real six on track?

I guess for me, the tipping point would be balancing your father's legacy with your own, still to be cemented, legacy. Good luck.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 10 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Your car, your life, your call! Listen to the voice of reason and you'll be just fine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Oct 10 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #9

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Think about it for six months and then revisit.

See how you feel then.

You will never be able to replace it. 993's are a dime a dozen, or something like that...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Oct 10 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 10 2017, 02:30 PM) *

You are not out of your mind.

My first ever Porsche was a 1996 993C4S and is one of the few cars I wish I still had. That being said, I can understand that after years of ownership you may want to explore other options. Although the sentimental value is strong with this car, I have no doubt your dad would approve of you getting something you can build memories with your kids (his grandkids) in.

Strangely enough, the 993 was probably the one car I wish my dad had held onto. I distincly remember backing the rear fender into the side of the garage when I was a teenager not knowing that the rear flares would extend beyond the side view mirrors.

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 10 2017, 02:42 PM) *

I remember that thread. An excellent, sympathetic restoration.

If you sell it, you'll wish you had it back. But, there are worse things than having fond memories. If you buy a 993 to enjoy with your family, you'll be creating your own family heirloom that your kids will remember fondly. It doesn't sound like the 914-6 is going to be a cherished memory for your kids so you're caught in a quandry.

At this point, the -6 is for you. Not to be critical, but the way you present the decision, keeping the -6 would be selfish, especially since you have another 914 to play with. Have you considered selling the conversion and using the real six on track?

I guess for me, the tipping point would be balancing your father's legacy with your own, still to be cemented, legacy. Good luck.

At times I do acknowledge the selfishness of this crazy car habit and that is part of the thought process for selling the blue car. The track car is fully developed and I have a lot of great family members with that car growing up as well.

The reality of the blue car is it sat a lot in the garage when I was a kid. I've probably put 10x the miles on it in the ~18 years I've had it versus the 14 years my parents had it, but the reality is it still rarely gets driven.

My wife is actually against the idea of selling it, which is pretty unusual (in a good way) if you ask me. I have a hard time finding time to fix all the little things on the long list of keeping the car up though.
+Quote Post
vintage914racer
post Oct 10 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 10 2017, 02:56 PM) *

Think about it for six months and then revisit.

See how you feel then.

You will never be able to replace it. 993's are a dime a dozen, or something like that...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Inevitably I'll ride out the cold MN winter and fix some of the things on my project list along the way. If it's anything like selling a house, I'll have all the issues fixed come spring and will likely decide to keep it.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 10 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Having been through something similar I say you will regret it. I only had a conversion I built on a 75 chassis with a 2.7. It was my first 6 powered Porsche and it was actually rust free as in NM rust free. I had a young family and no little kid passengers aloud. At the time my oldest kids were 3 and 1. I bought a 77 911 and built that as a second car that the kids could ride in. It fit the bill for the time as I was able to drive everywhere with the family.. I saw the 914-6 just sit there more and more so I sold it. Time went on and cars came and went including a turbo, sc, Carrera, and a 964. After I sold them all I thought about what was my favorite of the bunch. Even though the Turbo was insanely fast and the 964 was very refined the -6 was my favorite. Fast forward 15 years and my oldest 17 I am building another -6 that is not even close to rust free and I enjoy it more then all the other cars I had not including the 1st 6..

If nothing else moth ball it for 10 years and come back to it.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Oct 10 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #13

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....Never,never let the candy fool you! the priorities in your individual life always rules. (It's always what makes you, and in your case family HAPPY.)
peace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Oct 10 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Keep it. You will miss it once it is gone. Sounds a bit like family heirloom. I have one of those too.

The other side of it, as the kids get older (and bigger), you will be able to take them out, one at a time, in a really neat, really old, family 914. Store it. Use it as little as you are now is fine. No other new Porsche will feel the same. Stuffing the kids in the back of a 911/993/996 will only allow you to tote them around till they are 10 and outgrow the rear seats anyway.

I tried it with a 944.. kids never liked it.. But they do like it when I can only take one of them somewhere... it makes the times using the car seem more special.

And, unless you are going to drive them everywhere in your 914 replacement, it will suffer the same fate... sitting in the garage waiting for "the right time" to be used again.

Keep it. Enjoy it. Wait till they are a little older and enjoy it together!
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 11 2017, 07:45 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Way back in 78, I had a 70 4cyl. that was too small for our family. it was inherited from my dad but from years of northern road salt I'm sure it was destined for the dreaded rust bugs. We drove from our upstate NY home with the 2 kids sandwiched between us to the Porsche-Audi dealer in Rochester NY and traded in on a used Audi Fox, (a 4 passenger 4 door) back before Audi's climbed up the big $$$ game.
My kids kinda cried realizing the 914 was gone, but it was the right thing for us then.
Now if i had a 6, whole different story.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 11 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Oct 10 2017, 01:17 PM) *

Recently I've toyed with the idea of selling my factory 914-6 and getting something newer I can squeeze my family in and enjoy together as a family. I've in the stage of life where I work more than I would like, spend less time with my family (son 5, daughter 3) than I would like and don't have a lot of free time to drive the 914-6. I'll probably put 500 miles on it this year.

The 914-6 has been part of my life as long as I can remember. It was my father's and when I was my son's age I remember going on drives in the car in between my parents in the front seat. That, of course, was when it wasn't culturally unacceptable to do something like that. Today my wife frowns upon even driving with one of the kids in the car, so there's a bit of irony I suppose that the car that's part of my familiy memories can't be shared with my own kids.

To that end, I was thinking of a 993 or something bit more modern I could squeeze the kids in and go on Midwest road trips. Coincidentally, the last Porsche my dad owned before passing away in 1999 was a 1995 993, and the choice of a 993 maintains a lot of sentimentality for me.

Attached Image

I'm in the same boat, no back seat in the 914 or the 356 Roadster. I added three cars to the stable last year, all have back seats. The cars were a 65 Mustang, a 07 Benz and a 95 993. Enjoying a car is great, enjoying a car with your family, priceless!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Oct 11 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just add a 993 and everyone will be happy. I did last year because my wife wouldn't ride in my older cars (914-6 & '71Targa).

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 11 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Oct 11 2017, 06:07 AM) *

Just add a 993 and everyone will be happy. I did last year because my wife wouldn't ride in my older cars (914-6 & '71Targa).

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

During her first ride in the 993 my wife exclaimed, "The AC and heat work! In a Porsche!"
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 11 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

When my kids were small, we had 356s and they fit in the back. They are all grown now, so I can have whatever I want. My wife passed away, and my Gf doesn't really like riding in my 914, so it all works out really well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I get to go and do what I want and not hear any complaining.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 11 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I had a 95 993 and it really doesn't fit the kids. Just saying'.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:49 AM