Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ancient History: Automotion Reground Cams, Anyone have experience with them?
bbrock
post Nov 14 2017, 12:11 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Short version: I put an Automotion "Street grind" reground cam in my '73 2.0L GA engine way back in 1989. Case has been bolted together and in storage for 28 years but has never been run. I've lost the specs on the cam but Eckler is trying to chase that info down for me.

Does anyone have any info on the reliability those cams; good, bad, or other? Seems like Automotion had a good reputation back then, but that was pre-Internet days and my knowledge was limited to what was published in VW/Porsche magazine. I don't want to split this case, but now is the time to know if these cams were prone to failure.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Nov 15 2017, 08:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

Chances are the cams were ground by Webcam or one of the other cam grinders, and that they'll be fine. Do you know if they were welded up and ground, or just reground? Back then it was typical to weld up the lobes and then grind to do more aggressive profiles. Some have reported failures with weld-up cams. I have a pair of older weld-ups in my 911 race engine and haven't had an issue.

Scott
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 15 2017, 09:14 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 15 2017, 07:48 AM) *

Chances are the cams were ground by Webcam or one of the other cam grinders, and that they'll be fine. Do you know if they were welded up and ground, or just reground? Back then it was typical to weld up the lobes and then grind to do more aggressive profiles. Some have reported failures with weld-up cams. I have a pair of older weld-ups in my 911 race engine and haven't had an issue.

Scott

Thanks Scott. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'm going to try to find out what shop they used back then for their grinding service. They sell Webcam now so it makes me wonder if that's what they were. I'm pretty sure they weren't welded up, but can't be certain. It is a pretty mild grind. It's what they recommended for carbed street engines. I'm guessing they are similar to Webcam #86 but will see what Eckler comes up with. Sound like I can relax about this cam. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:51 PM