Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Prices, Looking for a source
jim_hoyland
post Dec 14 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

An overseas member asked me about 914 pricies in the US; what would be a reliable sources to do this ?

My first thoughts were eBay because it’s an auction venue and my second thought is the Hagerty Guide.

If you have a link to share, i’ll Forward it and he will be gratefull
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 14 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

I'm not sure of their sources or thoroughness, but one provider is Excellence Magazine's annual buyer's guide issues.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Switch those around Jim, since Hagerty bases their values on the broad market, whereas evil-bay is a smaller slice & you all too often don't have access to the actual sales price after a little while.

Cars.com, CarGurus & AutoTrader are not values, but asking prices in their "valuations" - as are evil-bay listings until a sale price is posted (the others never post a "sold for" price), & both NADA & KBB don't do a good job on any classic or collectable cars' values at all.

PS - Excellence has been lazy & out of date on values for 5+ years now, & worse after Pete Stout left. They don't even correct errors in the Buying Guides from year to year, even with members here, & those for other models' sites sending them the corrections. So Excellence has tarnished in recent years IMHO!

Happy Holidays! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
vitaminC
post Dec 14 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #4

searching...

Member No.: 12,121
Region Association: Northern California

You can see some price history for the cars sold on BaT.
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/914/
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Dec 14 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Agree with Hagerty and BAT as best sources.

Excellence is too dated by the time it is published.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 14 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #6

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 14 2017, 02:19 PM) *

I looked on Hagerty car values today and you have a low to high on conduction. But for some people a perfect, nice car is really not that perfect. There can be a big spread. Is a car almost concourse or primo. #1.5 or #2

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Dec 14 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,732

Of course the spread can be deceiving too- what some people call "concours" may just be fair to others. I've seen some cars people say are near perfect, and in person I'd rate them a 5 out of 10.
Especially if it is a "non-car" person, their idea of a clean car is no where close to mine!!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 14 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 14 2017, 02:19 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestions; I've forwarded these two.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 14 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Ignoring the uber low mileage cars which have gone somewhat mental lately, IMO pricing on here is a fair indicator ,the ones that don't sell are overpriced or not up to the mark,good honest cars with maintenance done @ a fair price seem to sell fast.
Auction prices can go a bit silly and aren't a really honest indicator.
Location is as an issue to be considered due to transporter cost on many cars for sale also.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 14 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #10

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 14 2017, 02:21 PM) *

PS - Excellence has been lazy & out of date on values for 5+ years now, & worse after Pete Stout left. They don't even correct errors in the Buying Guides from year to year, even with members here, & those for other models' sites sending them the corrections. So Excellence has tarnished in recent years IMHO!

Tom
///////

Taking nothing away from Pete Stout, I’d say the decline in the valuation issue came about with Bruce Anderson’s sickness and ultimate death...
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Dec 15 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,589

If your friend is looking for a -4, why not just tell him this:

0-3K for a parts car
3-8K for a ragged driver
9-15K for a decent driver
16-20K for a really nice driver
21-35K for the best out there

U.S. Dollars of course.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Dec 15 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,057

Agree with Ansbacher. If you go on Craigslist Los Angeles and area, there are usually 5-10 cars on there, mostly tubs, rollers, in progress projects, drivers, and then restorations, conversions, and sometimes original well maintained 4s and 6s. These are asking prices, so sales prices may be 50% to 100% of the asking price, but you get a sense that Ansbacher's table is indicative of the selling prices. Price on project cars are often based on the costs incurred in the collection of good useable parts, new rubber, interior, and trim.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Dec 15 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #13

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Dec 15 2017, 05:18 PM) *

Agree with Ansbacher. If you go on Craigslist Los Angeles and area, there are usually 5-10 cars on there, mostly tubs, rollers, in progress projects, drivers, and then restorations, conversions, and sometimes original well maintained 4s and 6s. These are asking prices, so sales prices may be 50% to 100% of the asking price, but you get a sense that Ansbacher's table is indicative of the selling prices. Price on project cars are often based on the costs incurred in the collection of good useable parts, new rubber, interior, and trim.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I believe 95% of the 914-4's for sale are in the $3K to $20K market (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
When looking for the $20K++ and up, 914's are few and rare to find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Why?? Because 914 NOS and good parts are expensive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
Good thing we have 914 reproduction sources.
Tom
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Dec 15 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,057

True. More restorations now with suppliers like PMB, RD, 914rubber, Tangerine, Pelican, Sierra Madre, etc. Hence demand for tubs, rollers are all on upswing.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 15 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I believe that were finally at the point with the solid chassis still being low enough and the critical items being reproduced so well that someone can actually make a very nice driver out of a 914, outsource the rebuild of the engine and bodywork, build it up and turn it around for a (small) profit.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 15 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

Perhaps a little off topic but I could not stop myself...
Lets face it 914´s are cheap compared to the 911. However it is a very under appreciated vehicle probably due to the engine, a 6 is so much sexier, don't you agree?
Its great that the 914 is cheap (ish) and long may it be so. Its a friendly car and there are a lot of upgrades you can do to it. For me the 914 is not an investment its a plaything, the working mans Porsche I´m all for it
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 15 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #17

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 15 2017, 03:09 PM) *

Lets face it 914´s are cheap compared to the 911. However it is a very under appreciated vehicle probably due to the engine, a 6 is so much sexier, don't you agree?
Its great that the 914 is cheap (ish) and long may it be so. Its a friendly car and there are a lot of upgrades you can do to it. For me the 914 is not an investment its a plaything, the working mans Porsche I´m all for it

What was a 356 or a 912?
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 15 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 15 2017, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 15 2017, 03:09 PM) *

What was a 356 or a 912?

I have a 912 manufactured 1965 Euro spec. The short wheel base cars look great. I got mine when the prices were affordable now I could not consider buying one in scandinavia on my meager income. The 356 is also a good looking car but not affordable for the working man. Wages for the middle class have fallen considerably since the 70´s I guess everyone fell for that "trickle down" bullshit the politicians fed us....but that is probably another thread
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 26 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 14 2017, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 14 2017, 02:21 PM) *

Tom
///////

Taking nothing away from Pete Stout, I’d say the decline in the valuation issue came about with Bruce Anderson’s sickness and ultimate death...

No problem and no ego here.

Looking back years later, the Market Reports were a tough one throughout my time at Excellence. "Good idea," but difficult to execute well. Bruce and I tried a lot of things to get them right, or righter, but the reality is that assigning "values" on a national (international?) basis on a too-small sample size with hazy "condition buckets" is fraught.

I can't remember if I nixed the Market Values before or after Bruce passed away, but they eventually came back as separate-issue buyers's guides (I had nothing to do with these). Haven't read one in years...the values of the cars have never been interesting to me other than when I go to buy a car, and I find it's far easier to determine one car's value within a ballpark than it is to determine the value of all or even most example of a given model...especially as the years go by.

+Quote Post
halmil
post Jan 26 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,585

Sports Car Market magazine has a database of public auction sales, so real numbers. They send an annual or semi-annual price guide to subscribers. Platinum subscribers have access to their database.

73-74 914 2.0 median price was $12k
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:24 AM