Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starter motor, What do I need
DavidSweden
post Dec 14 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

I have a 2,2T Motor #6110444 I am going to install it into a 914. I believe that I need an early flywheel so it will mate with the 914 clutch & gearbox. Can anyone tell me what type of starter motor I need so it will fit on the 914 box and mate with the flywheel

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 14 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 15 2017, 07:00 AM) *

I have a 2,2T Motor #6110444 I am going to install it into a 914. I believe that I need an early flywheel so it will mate with the 914 clutch & gearbox. Can anyone tell me what type of starter motor I need so it will fit on the 914 box and mate with the flywheel

Thanks

Standard 914 starter is fine,enough to start a 2.2T (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 14 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The stock Bosch starter will work fine, but consider adding a relay to get it the full voltage to energize the starter solenoid.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Dec 14 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 14 2017, 10:00 AM) *

Thanks

The real deal is the Bosch SR68X. Most places require you to send back the core but Amazon doesn't & gives a $85 rebate just for mailing in a form. Plus 2 day free shipping if you're on prime.....no affiliation but solid savings...
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 15 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 14 2017, 02:20 PM) *

The stock Bosch starter will work fine, but consider adding a relay to get it the full voltage to energize the starter solenoid.

Excuse my ignorance but why would this help?
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Dec 15 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

David - I have the same engine / tranny setup; the standard 914-4 starter should work fine. You will however need an early 6-bolt flywheel, with new bolts plus the pilot bearing.

- Tony
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 15 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 15 2017, 12:23 PM) *

David - I have the same engine / tranny setup; the standard 914-4 starter should work fine. You will however need an early 6-bolt flywheel, with new bolts plus the pilot bearing.

- Tony

Thanks Tony,
Just so i dont buy the wrong flywheel can you you confirm that i need the one for the 2L 911 motor 65-69 #90110220100?

I don't suppose anyone out there has good one lying around they are willing to sell. The replacements in Sweden are about £500 and that hurts

Tony, I should ask how does the car feel with the 2,2T motor?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 15 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

You need the earlier "pie plate" type flywheel it has the ring gear build in ,I suggest you download the PET for the 911 2.2L car...its a very handy guide when sourcing parts for your conversion and was a great help to me.
Attached Image
I recall there was a part number change from 1969 up I think this was around August when the engine went to 2.2L not sure what the difference was,there was a change in gearbox numbers for the 911 but that occurred later when the clutch throw system was reversed.
I'am certainly rusty on this info because it was years ago I did the parts buying,in fact I bought my flywheel and clutch kit before I took delivery of my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Be aware if you buy a new one they are rather expensive,I purchased a good used one from 914LTD got a great deal from Brad,my point is if buying used buy from a trusted seller so you don't get a worn out one.
The 2.2T in a 914 is fun not crazy fast but still a very enjoyable drive ,my car has had a fair amount of weight removed and the motor has minor upgrades,you WILL like it.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 15 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #9

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Or if you have a good flat flywheel you can use a adaptor/clutch kit from KEP.
Bit of a upgrade as it uses the 228mm bus PP and disc, stock is 215mm. Still has the stock ring gear.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 15 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I used the Kennedy 228mm flywheel, PP, & bigger clutch.

I think I made a mistake by buying the compact starter from Patrick Motorsports, if I had it to do over, I would prefer the Bosch, but it is what it is.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 15 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 15 2017, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 14 2017, 02:20 PM) *

Excuse my ignorance but why would this help?

In the 914, the power to energize the bendix goes through the ignition switch. That's a lot of wiring plus the contacts on the ignition switch have the extra current from the bendix.

All modern cars use a relay (Mechanical or Solid State) to energize the bendix. There's a great write up of how to do this in the 914:

Ford Starter Relay

+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Dec 16 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 15 2017, 08:04 PM) *

In the 914, the power to energize the bendix goes through the ignition switch. That's a lot of wiring plus the contacts on the ignition switch have the extra current from the bendix.

All modern cars use a relay (Mechanical or Solid State) to energize the bendix. There's a great write up of how to do this in the 914:

Ford Starter Relay

Thanks for the reply it makes good sense
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 16 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Especially helps when the wiring is also 40+ years old. A lot of starter problems are actually voltage problems not energizing the solenoid.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Dec 16 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Dec 15 2017, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 15 2017, 12:23 PM) *

- Tony

Thanks Tony,
Just so i dont buy the wrong flywheel can you you confirm that i need the one for the 2L 911 motor 65-69 #90110220100?

I don't suppose anyone out there has good one lying around they are willing to sell. The replacements in Sweden are about £500 and that hurts

Tony, I should ask how does the car feel with the 2,2T motor?

I bought my flywheel from QSC here in the USA: https://www.qscusa.com/collections/flywheel...-flywheel-215mm

..which was reasonably priced compared to most other options I was looking at. After 1K miles on the car, had no issues at all. 215mm is the one you need.

I have a fairly stock, rebuilt 2.2 running Zeniths in a lightweight faux GT chassis. It certainly won't light up the tires in 3rd gear, but it is sprightly enough to keep it interesting on twisty roads, plus it does have all the epic sound effects with the raspy exhaust tone on WOT and dual cam chains whirring away inches from your kidneys.

- Tony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:26 AM