Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pricing "modifications"
sixaddict
post Jan 20 2018, 08:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

I may be out of order on this post but it has to do with selling and buying and that's what this forum is about .....kind of.
Lately, when responding to "for sale" items and whether it's, with or without shipping noted in the price, I get " they are yours + paypal fees of 3, or even 4%.
Since most transactions are PP, to not have that designated in the posted price I feels like I am getting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
First, isn't it understood if you want fees either state it or add in your price.

Second, could someone clarify is it 3% or 4% .
Would like some feedback.

If this post is out of line, LMK and I will edit so we don't hurt anyone's feelings.
TOT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 20 2018, 08:38 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I agree. Full disclosure is best. Personally, the 3 or 4% for paypal isn't an issue for me. Even when I sell a $4,000 item, I just look at it as the cost of doing business. Its funny though, many of the earlySreg guys collect that %.

My PP business account is 3%, personal might be 4, I don't really know.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 20 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I must be the trusting sort because when use PayPal, I usually (here) send everything Friends and Family. I assume, since most of us here know who we're dealing with, we expect F & F.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 20 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Flirting with fraud.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Jan 20 2018, 09:44 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,961

I figure F + F is only for someone I really really know.......
And how many times have you heard "he always did fine" and all of a sudden screws up a deal. I don't have an issue paying it as long as it is clearly stated in the post. If not it's like a store saying ---Oh a credit card ....we have to bang you for more $$ !

Thanks tells me it is a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 20 2018, 07:07 AM) *

I must be the trusting sort because when use PayPal, I usually (here) send everything Friends and Family. I assume, since most of us here know who we're dealing with, we expect F & F.

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 20 2018, 09:57 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Everything I sell has ONE price. When I post the price I have done my homework and that is what I need. The problem I have with Friends and Family is you do not get shipping information and the ability to use the Paypal shipping. I factor Paypal shipping in those cost to keep shipping as low as possible.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 20 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I figure PP fees into my price, very rarely do I get a check or cash.

It would be better to just figure in the fee, offer discount for cash or just suck it up.

+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jan 20 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,697

I agree with all above.

How about a poll to modify the posting rules to be upfront about any transaction fees?

Or just do it...
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 20 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #9

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Like Mark said, just put out a total price with shipping.

I think the current PP fee is 3.75%

Sending F & F Paypal is a pain for the seller.
You do not get:
discounted USPS shipping
their address in the Paypal message
the shipping transaction and tracking details are stored elsewhere,
and the buyer does not automatically get a notification of the shipping transaction.

I am going to start refusing F & F as it is not easier for the seller and leaves the buyer unprotected. And it is fraud. When you sent is F & F and add a note "like thanks for the parts" you are documenting how you are cheating PP and can be shut down by PP.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 20 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #10

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 20 2018, 10:22 AM) *

You do not get:
discounted USPS shipping
and the buyer does not automatically get a notification of the shipping transaction.

I am going to start refusing F & F as it is not easier for the seller and leaves the buyer unprotected. And it is fraud. When you sent is F & F and add a note "like thanks for the parts" you are documenting how you are cheating PP and can be shut down by PP.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) While I appreciate the thought of F&F when paying for an item, I too would rather you didn't unless I ask you to.

To me the fees are cost of doing business.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 20 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I struggle with this myself as for example a set of my heat exchangers sell to 914world members for 1950(for the next couple months then a price increase is coming). So talking about allot of money lost on the transaction. I give people 2 options and sometimes they choose 3 on there own. I prefer check, then paypal with 3% and sometimes they just do f+f on their own.. I just don't make enough on the heat exchangers to lose that 3-4%.. Trying to keep it affordable and to make it worth while for me..

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jan 20 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #12

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 20 2018, 08:22 AM) *

You do not get:
discounted USPS shipping

Thanks Brad!
I truly did not know this, so shame on me.
This would explain why I did not get my calendar from Steve! It is all on me. I owe him an apology because I'm thinking F&F is better for the seller. And I just got schooled it is NOT!
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 20 2018, 12:42 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Duh.. I also forgot about that. No wonder there was no address. Some sellers like the friends & family to save the 3%, but it is wrong. I would rather add the 3% to the sale price and be legit.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 20 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Paypal Fee calculator it is very good, and I use it to send money to people like Garold, or Mark so they get the best price they can, and I pay for the protection I want. It also allowed them to have my shipping address and contact information, just incase I was a flake and did not send it. Which Friends and Family does not. There is also a rumor that using FF actually costs more. Have not done an actual comparison.
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Jan 21 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,561

I have been using PayPal for 20 years, since they first started. Ebay used to have their own pay system, which I used for a short time before Paypal came along.

If someone wants me to send funds F&F, I add the fees to the cost and send it. I like the idea of being able to get my funds back.

I never ever do a bank transfer. Got burned once with one to Germany. Fortunately, my brother was Lt. in the local sheriff's dept. He filed a fraud complaint in the National Database on the guy. 4 years later he received a notice that the individual was denied entry into the states. Gave me a little satisfaction.

These days I also use a Virtual credit card. I like it because, I can set a $ amount and the expiration is the next month. Single use CC number and CVC number.

Greg W.

+Quote Post
rmdinmd
post Jan 22 2018, 07:02 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,585

When I send a paypal payment I know how much I am sending. Most of the times the seller lets you know in the FS post if shipping is included or not and some tell you + paypal fees. I have always PM'ed the seller and the amount I send is what we have agreed on.
Vendors tend to give a single price as they know what shipping costs are; Those who are selling "extra" parts and don't ship often may not be aware of the cost of shipping something. I know a few years ago I sold something "shipped" and was surprised at how much shipping was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . so I have no problem with a + shipping price, I figure if the shipping is too much I can just say "never mind".
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:15 AM