Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who else has been here at least 10 years ? Share your story ...., Happy Anniversary to all '10 year or older' members
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 9 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #1

mrgreenjeans

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

Just noticed when I made a reply on another post,
I had a date with destiny 11 years ago today.....

I don't post here a lot, but do a fair amount of reading. Thanks folks for being a great source for information on these fantastic but quirky little Porsches.

My car , a '74 - 2.0 litre was found by me after many exhaustive searches for a nice, rust free and accident free chassis. Traveling to the southwest and west to source good candidates, this 60,000 mile original virtually found me.

Sunflower Yellow. Absolutely ZERO rust. A dry, summer driven only, Montana car most of it's life, it made it's way first to Bismarck, ND then Fargo, ND where it required mechanical help at the local Porsche dealership on a drive to Minneapolis, MN. It was torn apart mechanically to diagnose and repair, but never paid for by the second owner. He was later tragically killed in a motorcycle accident.

The car was purchased by me for the 'amount due on the bill' and the title was surrendered by that owner and passed on to me. The interior is near perfect with very little to no wear shown on the door sills, pedals, and light wear on the steering wheel. Seats show as new. Dash shows as new. All tools, jack, spare, and paperwork from new was in the glove box.

I paid a total of $750.00 dollars in the fall of 1994 before embarking on making it mechanically sound. The car rides on 3 sets of wheels. The original steel mags which I had media blasted and repainted due to light rust deep in the seam between hub and rim. It has it's date coded correct, set of 5 FUCHS - 4 bolt alloys which are in perfect condition. And a new set of Campagnolo cast Magnesium alloys are ready to fit for variation, giving up a 'new and different look' from show to show.

What are YOUR stories ? How long have you owned your 914s ? And how long have YOU been here on this Forum page ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 9 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Almost 15 years. Prior to joining the 914Club site, I didn’t know another 914 owner, and I was considering selling the 914.
Soon as I joined 914Club ( now 914World) I met Joe Sharp. He lived two miles from me and had several 914s and a garage full of parts. He and THOMAS helped me with many projects; I kept the 914 and lived happily ever after.

Joe hosted many terrific 914 Bar-B-Qs where a lot other owners could share ideas, what a blast that was !
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 9 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Story
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 9 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Bought mine mine a little over ten years ago, and joined up here the year after.

My Dad gave be some money a year before he passed and said.. "son get yourself something to have fun with. You need that." So I did.

So I went looking and found two. One was done and had carbs 10k, the other was bone stock with a 1.7 in it. Went to look at the 1.7 first. The car was mostly original except for the rims and tires and it was a 73...no smog. So we made a deal for 2,500. 50 bucks to register it with no smog and $200 bucks for classic car insurance. What a deal.

Next year I ended up getting divorced. Gave away everything I had, except my house. X-wife wanted the car and I said no way, I inherited the money and kept it separate so no dice. Ended up with my house and the car and not much else.

Years later I re-married to a wonderful woman with her own sports car. Have spent countless hours and countless dollars restoring the car and driving it. It's never been on jacks stand for more that 3 months while I was doing the suspension.

I had enjoyed every minute of it, working on it, driving it.

+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 9 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Was in the 914club before world but says I joined in 2011- swore it was earlier than that. Been driving a 914 since December of 1970- still have my original car... and several others after that... including a real '71 six I NEVER should have sold!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 9 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

First one I still own, bought in 2001 maybe.
Bought probably 20 since, stripped, parted out, cut up, and saved a few.
Most were classically rusty junk in the NE.

dont know how long I have been here, first month or so of 914World, and prior to that 914Club.

rich
+Quote Post
ejm
post Feb 9 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #7

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

First 914 before AG invented the internet... Porschelist email before it became Rennlist...Club before it became World.. what's next?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 9 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Bought my first 914 in 1973. Have had one ever since. Was part of a local group of 6-8 owners, long before the internet. I've been here almost 15 years.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 9 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #9

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Member since June 2003. Back in 95 I was going to get married, long story but I called it off. In a moment of self pity I decided I wanted a 944. Went to look at one for sale and the guy also had a 73 914 for sale. Never did drive the 944, test drove the 914 and bought it. In 98 I married my wife (not the Ex from 95) and ended up selling my 73 in 99.

In 2003 I had the itch real bad for a 914 and after months of talking about it my wife said what am I waiting for, go find a 914. While searching the web I came across 914club and joined.

A week or so later I seen a 914 on ebay that was owned by Brad Mayeur before the seller on ebay had owned it. Knowing Brad I called him and he gave me the scoop on it from when he owned it. The owner then also had Brad service it and Brad gave it a very high recommendation. Long story short I bough the car after it didn't sell on ebay.

I owned that 914 for little over 12yrs, sold it 2015 and it now resides in Toronto Canada where it sees duty as a weekend ride and vintage racing. The current owner and I keep in touch a few times a year. One day maybe I will buy it back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Many of other 914's from drivers, parts cars and race cars have come through my hands over the years. I have met many great people because of that little car and this great site (Thanks Andy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) ) and my day doesn't feel complete if I don't check this site at least once (more like 10 times) a day.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Feb 9 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,794

I have owned a 914 since 1990 and was a member of 914 club and have been a member of world since 2006. I have made great friends here and stalk the site daily and enjoy it. Yeah I know I’m gluten for punishment.

I didn’t realize it had been that long.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Feb 9 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #11

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My school bus drove past a partially disassembled 914 in a driveway for 7 yrs until I was a sr. in highschool when I got some cash and offered the lady $900 for the car. She said get it out of here and thus started my 914 journey. This was 1987 and I still have the car.
As for 914world, i've surpassed 10 yrs and what a great community.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Feb 9 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I joined just over 10 years ago. I spent 20 years earning my living as a Porsche mechanic and bought 914 when I worked at an independent shop. We did a lot of Porsche prep for time trials, track use and autocross. I prepped my 914 for autocross and spent several years competing in PCA Zone 7 and local PCA autocross events.
I changed my profession in 95 and have been working in an office ever since.
A few years later the engine in the 914 died and it sat for a decade in my driveway. When I joined 914world it was to gather info for the resurrection of my 914.
Well I learned a lot in short order, read about a thing called a "hell hole" and low and behold my 914 had one.
I have since bought 4 more 914s and only sold 1 of them. I still have my original but it is too rusty for me to repair and I am working on a 72 that was stripped and repainted before I bought it.

My office job is still tied to Autmotive repair and I have belonged to many different car forums over the years and 914world is by far the best.

Jim
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 9 2018, 10:17 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

My first 914 was the late 70’s. My current 914 I have semi owned since 86. I sold it and then bought it back. I was on multiple sites before Pelican and 914club. I was on the club before the split. Because it was the same database I kept my low member number and user Id.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Feb 9 2018, 10:40 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I had followed the 914 list prior to the launch of the original club, there was talk of the launch and when it went live I signed up.
I’ve been somewhat attached to these cars for just about ever.
I’ve learned tons from the members here and met some really good people, this site and the previous iterations are certainly a good thing for 914 enthusiasts.
Are there any other double digit # members?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 9 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #15

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Fifteen years and some change... only 3000 some members when I joined.

I have been a long time sports car guy. I’ve owned my 240Z since 1980. I used to autocross pretty much every weekend in the summer. I think the record was 26 events which is pretty good since I’m from Minnesota. During that time, I’d usually win my class and I think at one time I counted 46 trophies? I quit keeping them as they take up too much room. Now days, they quit giving them out. Anyways, back then, a guy named John who was an engineering student who’s parents owned a Porsche performance mail order place called Karousel Racing would show up once or twice a year. He had a 914-6 with pretty much every mod he could pick off mom and dads shelves. But more important, he was fast! When he’d show up on those rare occasions, he’d lay down a time @2 seconds faster than my fastest and then announce that he had to leave at the lunch break to go study. I’d spend the rest of the afternoon chasing his best time... your ego won’t let you admit that John is just really fast so when I got to California after Desert Sheild / Desert Storm, I started looking for that 914 that would propel me into those “John like times!” In 2003, I found that car. A 1975 914 2.0 Appearance Group Car. It was purchased new by a guy in Southern California at Sierra Porsche+Audi. Both Harvey and Al Weidman worked there at the time. The guy drove the car for about 5 years and put 67K miles on it. Then, he retired to Oregon and promptly had a stroke. He couldn’t drive any more, but he wouldn’t let his family sell it. So it sat on jackstands in his garage until his death in 2003. I bought from the estate for the opening bid price of $2500.00.

The car looked like it was new. But the brakes needed work, one of them was even locked up. The engine would run, but badly. Mostly, that was seized up djet components. Since then, several multiples of the original purchase price have been spent and with the help of PMB Performance, Original Customs, 914Rubber, and Jim Dupree jcd914 and several others, it now looks like this:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
chrisg
post Feb 9 2018, 11:34 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,455

Joined back in the club days(I think I was actually driving mine back then). I haven’t actively participated in a long time (hence my newby status) because life got in the way. Still have my 75 garage ornament and have been hanging out here covertly on a regular basis hoping to actually make this the year I start refreshing it. Great site with lots of like minded, mature enthusiasts. 99.5% of the people I interact with on a daily basis don’t know what a 914 is,or care, so it’s nice to have a place to hang out where others have the same passion.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Feb 9 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #17

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

I have always had a deep love for street sports cars and racing vehicles. I bought my first sports car (1957 Austin Healey B-100) and never looked back. I restored the Healey and sold it. This was in 1970-71. Fast forward to 1968 I became interested in all types of road sport cars which included restoring 15 Alfa Romeo Spiders, 1 Lotus Esprit, 1 Triumph, and getting married. All the Alfa's except one, Triumph, and Lotus went along the way.

I saw a 914 1974 in a salvage yard during the late seventies. Being a rolling chassis without engine, etc I was back into the amateur restoration business. Being a rolling chassis, it became one of the Rod Simpson/old Renegade conversion. Had the car completed except for painting and then it sat in my garage in Santa Clara for a number of years until Brad Roberts happened to come by. That introduced me to the 914club into 914world.

The V-8 conversion handled like an old Corvette with top heaviness. Tore it a part and sold the conversion pieces. Later bought the present 914 rolling chassis from a friend in Ventura area and have converted it to 3.2 911 Carrera power. The car was essentially almost complete when I moved to Flagstaff, AZ and subsequently to Grants Pass, OR. We incurred a complete theft of all the new parts and support tools in Barstow. Got the car back since it was not running and they could not drive it. Sat for two and half years before getting back into the project.

Thanks to this site and the members support I was able to replace all the parts, get motivated again, and essentially get most of the car done including road dependability and painting. Just a few things left to do.

Was thinking of parting or selling since I am getting up in age and have had a some health problems. Members again brought realism back into me and the car is being finished.

I hope I have indicated the strengths, sources, and friends on this board. The main item is they are honest with you; they will help people with knowledge, skills, techniques, or whatever is needed to provide practical support.

Joined Jan 2003 and some 15 years later still here with a 914 needing completion.

Best years of my life spent here.

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 9 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #18

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Bought my red '71 914 w/1.7L about 2003. Bought some parts on ebay until I found the 914club in 2005 or whatever it says on my sig.

In 2005 the '71 was rear ended. I got a good settlement and bought the most rust-free NE '74 914 2L car I've ever seen and repaired the '71.

Got laid off in 2008, got new job, took the severance pay, sold the '74 914 and bought an '86 930.

Still have the '71 914 and '86 930.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 10 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 9 2018, 09:40 PM) *

I had followed the 914 list prior to the launch of the original club, there was talk of the launch and when it went live I signed up.
I’ve been somewhat attached to these cars for just about ever.
I’ve learned tons from the members here and met some really good people, this site and the previous iterations are certainly a good thing for 914 enthusiasts.
Are there any other double digit # members?

Nice
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 10 2018, 02:32 AM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Been around couple weeks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:05 PM