Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Touring Tool Kit, List of Tools When on Tour (and spares)
Midway
post Feb 14 2018, 04:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,461
Region Association: None

I'd like to make up a tool roll to carry in my '72 1.7 for when I'm out of town or on tour. I want to make it compact but comprehensive enough to cover basic servicing and situations that experience shows us can occur when on the road, and can be fixed by someone handy with tools. I'm sure people who have owned these machines for a long time will have refined the contents of their kit. Perhaps a list of likely useful small spares for a standard spec car also.

I'm well experienced in making up such kits for outback motorcycle touring where outside help is unavailable but am thinking here of saving time by not re-inventing the wheel!

If someone can draw my attention to such a list then that would be appreciated. If not then maybe we can make one up here on this thread.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 14 2018, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Jack Stands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

A nice tool bag or roll

Screw Drivers
1/4" socket Set
3/8 socket set, I carry just a small 3/8" set
Open wrenches in the sizes you need on a 914
10mm
13mm
Piers - Water Pump Pliers, Vice Grips, Diagonal Cutters, Safety Wire pliers, Needle Nose, and Safety wire. I safety wire lots of items.

Alen Wrenches, a folding set is fine
24" Breaker Par
Tire Gauge

A Knife
Jumper Cables or Battery Pack
LED headlamp the ones that stop to your head, not the 7" kind in the front of the car.
Mat - or tarp, it is nice not to have to lay in a puddle.
Gloves

Fan Belt
Wire with some terminals, small crimper and stripper
Relay
Fuses
Bulbs

I also carry chalk, a tire promoter, a jack, a cordless impact wrench and a 19mm deep soft socket. And extra 27mm socket, some oil, a volt meter, and a torque wrench.
+Quote Post
Midway
post Feb 15 2018, 05:12 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply. I think your list will be a good basis for me to get the kit together before venturing out into the hinterland. Some of the tool names I had to do a Google to convert American into Australian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) - water pump pliers = Multi-Grips, diagonal cutters = side cutters. A bit like the old bonnet - hood, boot - trunk thing! This one has got me though, what is a tire promoter? I know the Michelin Man was pretty good at promoting tyres back in the day.

I might put in some plugs and points and a grease rag also.

Cheers

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 15 2018, 05:19 AM) *

Jack Stands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

A nice tool bag or roll

Screw Drivers
1/4" socket Set
3/8 socket set, I carry just a small 3/8" set
Open wrenches in the sizes you need on a 914
10mm
13mm
Piers - Water Pump Pliers, Vice Grips, Diagonal Cutters, Safety Wire pliers, Needle Nose, and Safety wire. I safety wire lots of items.

Alen Wrenches, a folding set is fine
24" Breaker Par
Tire Gauge

A Knife
Jumper Cables or Battery Pack
LED headlamp the ones that stop to your head, not the 7" kind in the front of the car.
Mat - or tarp, it is nice not to have to lay in a puddle.
Gloves

Fan Belt
Wire with some terminals, small crimper and stripper
Relay
Fuses
Bulbs

I also carry chalk, a tire promoter, a jack, a cordless impact wrench and a 19mm deep soft socket. And extra 27mm socket, some oil, a volt meter, and a torque wrench.

+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 15 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the previous. Also consider having the tools for two possible breakdowns: 1) Clutch cable replacement
2) Acceleator cable replacement;
Or, replace both in the comfort of your garage and the benefit of time...
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 15 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) With Jim, extra cables good.

My last stuff is more because I auto-x, and the car got driven to and from the events.

I forgot safety glasses, I have a set that are cheaters for my older eyes. Reflector triangles, flares, etc.....

Fire Extinguishers, oil, a small gas can. At least you don't have to pay what the gas station wants when your out because your sender unit got stuck on the first day you took your 914 out, and you ran out of fuel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I also carry a set of CV bolts. Old habit, I now safety wire my CV bolts. Lost 3 out of the 4 one day on the way to a clients office.
+Quote Post
Midway
post Feb 16 2018, 03:01 AM
Post #6

Good stuff, thanks fellas. I've mounted up an extinguisher and put in a new clutch cable a few weeks ago, will have to check on the accelerator cable and throw one in also. Have a tow rope. These cars have two luggage compartments - may as well use the space (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 16 2018, 05:37 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) With Jim, extra cables good.

My last stuff is more because I auto-x, and the car got driven to and from the events.

I forgot safety glasses, I have a set that are cheaters for my older eyes. Reflector triangles, flares, etc.....

Fire Extinguishers, oil, a small gas can. At least you don't have to pay what the gas station wants when your out because your sender unit got stuck on the first day you took your 914 out, and you ran out of fuel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I also carry a set of CV bolts. Old habit, I now safety wire my CV bolts. Lost 3 out of the 4 one day on the way to a clients office.

+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 17 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I carry a spare fuel pump and filter. But I'm converted to a 2 holer.
Expensive proposition with a 3 holer.
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Feb 17 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My AAA Plus card will get me home from anywhere within 100 miles and it saves weight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Midway
post Feb 18 2018, 05:02 AM
Post #9

I have started purchasing some of the tools for the kit - even found some nice ones made in Germany, a point of difference from the made in china variety of stuff this country is now full of. Had a bit of a look around the car and found 10, 13, 15 ,17, 19, 21, 22, 23 and 27mm nuts. Won't worry about the 23mm one at this stage. Found 6 and 8mm hex. Apart from the 17mm on the gearbox are there any other hex sizes lurking that my brief investigation may have missed - 3mm, 5mm maybe?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 18 2018, 09:51 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I have always included a credit card and cell phone in my suggested survival tool kit. I'm not sure how much it would be worth in the outback though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 18 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

A phone number for AAA and a back up battery to charge your cell phone.
+Quote Post
Midway
post Feb 19 2018, 04:40 AM
Post #12

Car fails to proceed

Step 1. Fix it myself - hence the need for a reasonable tool kit.
If that fails, move to step 2.
Step 2. Take out the phone and dial for help...
If that fails, quite possible considering the shit mobile coverage here in West Oz, move to step 3.
Step 3. Hail a passing car down and if it stops, hope the driver is friendly.

I'd be pretty annoyed with myself if a simple problem couldn't be fixed due to lack of a few tools or parts.

It's good to be self reliant in this country. There are lots of stories around of people needing to be rescued - the common one being German tourists bogged on a dirt road for a week, their survival kit consisting of a couple of cartons of beer! Or the Japanese tourists pushing their car to the next town. When asked "what town", they said Albany - well that's 170 km away! No idea of scale.

So, I'm trying to learn from our foreign visitors. Tempting as it is to sit down with a carton of beer, I might get out the tools before cracking a can or pushing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers from Australia
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:46 PM