Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lift
Cracker
post Feb 18 2018, 09:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Thoughts, experiences, frequency of use, etc. If you have pictures of your set-up in general; decisions you wish you had made; decisions you were thankful you DID make - all would be helpful! I have plenty of ceiling height; do I need to spend big bucks for infrequent use (mostly as a storage device)? The lift will need to be functional for teener engine drops...suffice to say, it has to be a two-post.

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Feb 18 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

My house had a 2 post installed when I bought it. Max height is around 5 1/2' so at 6' tall I can't quite stand up straight underneath.

I really like having a lift but the biggest problem is that it is not low profile. I can't get the jacking arms low enough to fit under my 996

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sithot
post Feb 18 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(jmitro @ Feb 18 2018, 10:56 AM) *

My house had a 2 post installed when I bought it. Max height is around 5 1/2' so at 6' tall I can't quite stand up straight underneath.

I really like having a lift but the biggest problem is that it is not low profile. I can't get the jacking arms low enough to fit under my 996

May require approach boards/ramps. The Rotary I have screws down pretty tight but if a car is too low it does require assistance from the aforementioned.

+Quote Post
dcheek
post Feb 18 2018, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,103

This subject has been covered many times in this forum. Most of the time people want a portable jacking system. They are more expensive and some only raise a couple of feet.

You are smart wanting a 2 post, especially for P cars and air cooled VW's. I have an Atlas brand lift from Greg Smith Equipment. It's the least expensive they have and also the the lowest clearance. My ceilings are 10 1/2 feet. I can lift the 914 and be able to walk under it (I'm 6'2"). Can't stand under a Beetle though. I paid $1445.00, no shipping, no sales tax because I picked it up at the Delaware warehouse. We actually picked up two lifts using a car trailer.

It took 2 3/4 hours to install with the help of a couple of friends. The second one took about 2 hours. I hired an electrician to wire in 220 volts.

The model is a BP 8000, 8000 lb. lift.

I've had it for several years and have changed 2 clutches, 2 complete brake jobs and tie rods. I've made my money back already, plus it gives to extra car storage.

Dave

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Feb 18 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

You can read about my lift saga here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...370&hl=lift

I will say this, decide what you want the lifts for, storage or car work. If it's storage get ones like mine, if it's car work, get the two post ones with moveable arms. Both do their job well, but don't work well for the other.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 18 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We often have to jack up a low car to slide the arm in and then use some spacers under the pad so it doesn't hit the rockers.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Feb 18 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,590

MaxJax, it isn't a full rise but gets the job done. I roll around underneath using a chair on wheels

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Feb 18 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,061

Tony, I have a 4 poster . I didn't get it from Greg Smith but they have a store in Norcross. I like the 4 poster because it does not have to be secured to the deck and I think transmits less weight to each foot. I was not sure of the thickness of my floor. I use it mostly for storage but have done almost every kind of work on it. AL
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 18 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 18 2018, 10:39 AM) *

Thoughts, experiences, frequency of use, etc. If you have pictures of your set-up in general; decisions you wish you had made; decisions you were thankful you DID make - all would be helpful! I have plenty of ceiling height; do I need to spend big bucks for infrequent use (mostly as a storage device)? The lift will need to be functional for teener engine drops...suffice to say, it has to be a two-post.

Tony

Put it in a convenient spot with enough room around it to work on each side - if possible.
pad the edges so when the door swings open, it wont matter.
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 18 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2018, 08:50 AM) *

We often have to jack up a low car to slide the arm in and then use some spacers under the pad so it doesn't hit the rockers.

What Mark said. On both items. I have a box of 3*3 MDX pieces to use a spacers.
I have a 10K Bend Pak Asymmetrical as a primary.
We're planning on a 7k and 2 4 posts in the next upgrade.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 18 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Guys: I also would like to lift my 8500 lb truck as well. Sorry for the omission. So I would like to lift a Sportsracer to a one-ton Ram...

+Quote Post
Jamie
post Feb 18 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,939

I bought the Atlas 4 post from Greg Smith because the garage slab had a slight slope which made a 2 post unusable. Have to use a 10" high ramp to access the top level, but it has worked well for about 5 yrs. and the only problem is shuffling cars to get the right car up for maintenance! Lifts do make great storage multipliers for my 914 and Cayman.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 18 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I realize this conclusion has many flaws but I am leaning toward a Rotary; cautiously looking at the Revolution (Chinese version) line; but would really like to have a MoHawk. If Rotary's are good enough for Goldcrest with +10 Cup cars on hand...they should cut the mustard for a teener. Now to find a reasonable deal...

Tony

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 18 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(cary @ Feb 18 2018, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2018, 08:50 AM) *

What Mark said. On both items. I have a box of 3*3 MDX pieces to use a spacers.
I have a 10K Bend Pak Asymmetrical as a primary.
We're planning on a 7k and 2 4 posts in the next upgrade.

by spacers, i meant the metal donuts that come with the lift that lift the pad higher than the arm.
+Quote Post
Triaddave
post Feb 18 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,478

I bought a BEND-PAC years ago. Total price delivered to Olympia, including Electrial and 5-gal oil, was $2500.00 new.
no need for thicken slab. You'll gain alot of new friendsAttached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
MikeM
post Feb 18 2018, 12:41 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 11,733
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(dcheek @ Feb 18 2018, 09:25 AM) *

This subject has been covered many times in this forum. Most of the time people want a portable jacking system. They are more expensive and some only raise a couple of feet.

You are smart wanting a 2 post, especially for P cars and air cooled VW's. I have an Atlas brand lift from Greg Smith Equipment. It's the least expensive they have and also the the lowest clearance. My ceilings are 10 1/2 feet. I can lift the 914 and be able to walk under it (I'm 6'2"). Can't stand under a Beetle though. I paid $1445.00, no shipping, no sales tax because I picked it up at the Delaware warehouse. We actually picked up two lifts using a car trailer.

It took 2 3/4 hours to install with the help of a couple of friends. The second one took about 2 hours. I hired an electrician to wire in 220 volts.

The model is a BP 8000, 8000 lb. lift.

I've had it for several years and have changed 2 clutches, 2 complete brake jobs and tie rods. I've made my money back already, plus it gives to extra car storage.

Dave

Attached Image

What are the concrete requirements for that lift?
Thanks
+Quote Post
Triaddave
post Feb 18 2018, 12:42 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,478

Also, take a look at"lift cable broke" on the next page. creepy
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Feb 18 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You can do more using a 2 post. 4 post is better for storing a car. How would you do a brake job using a 4 post and all wheels are under load? I made the mistake of getting a lift with cables and a hose on the floor (it has a cover / ramp). This gets in the way a lot more than I like. Think moving a transmission jack from front to rear.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Feb 18 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Triaddave @ Feb 18 2018, 12:42 PM) *

Also, take a look at"lift cable broke" on the next page. creepy

mine (and I'm sure most all well-made lifts) have a built-in fail safe ratchet-stop system.

+1 to rolling chair under the car.

I can actually squeeze my 914 and X5 (or 996) in the same garage with one car on the lift and one slightly underneath. It's not ideal for storage, but I don't plan to "store" any of my cars
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 18 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #20

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 18 2018, 10:48 AM) *

You can do more using a 2 post. 4 post is better for storing a car. How would you do a brake job using a 4 post and all wheels are under load? I made the mistake of getting a lift with cables and a hose on the floor (it has a cover / ramp). This gets in the way a lot more than I like. Think moving a transmission jack from front to rear.

You can buy a jack setup for 4 post lifts so you can remove the tires. One nice thing with a 4-post lift is the tray to catch oil if it drips. Not like our car ever drip. You see the custom cardboard drip stopper on the 2 post lifts someone did. I guess it works.

Bob B
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:27 AM