Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4-lug front suspension questions and identification, Please help me identify or verify the parts I have and the ones I need
Boomingbeetle
post Feb 18 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,556
Region Association: Southern California

Hello all, thanks in advance for your knowledge-

I've spent a few hours with the search function and only have more questions. I began working on the front end of my 71 -4, starting with 320i ATE caliper conversion to help stop my 2430 monster. I intend to add front swaybar, replace the shocks, control arm and strut bushings and probably turbo tie-rods as well - but came upon a problem after fitting up the calipers. I have the sneaking suspicion that my car has later spindles.

See the pics below, the caliper is offset to the inside and almost rubs on my rotor at the outboard side. My understanding is that the 320i caliper will bolt up to the early spindle and be offset toward the outside. Also, my rotor is about .02" under min spec, so I need new ones... the caliper might not fit at all with thicker rotors. Here are my questions if you can help to figure out before I start ordering any more parts:

1. How can you tell the difference between an early and late spindle/strut tower?
2. Can you tell the difference by the rotor? Since I need to get new rotors and bearings, they will have to match whatever spindle I have or purchase to replace. same with the ball joints and bushings I imagine.

3. I'm not opposed to buying raised spindles to install, would these be compatible with the calipers without machining them? Or I can try to order a complete set of early suspension to rebuild and install. I like the way my car sits now with 15" rims, and my control arms have the u-channel for sway bar drop links. I do not want to do any welding for a bump-stop bracket.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 18 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

I'am sure I read on here the BMW calipers have to be machined to @ the mounting ears (inside) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Feb 18 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 18 2018, 11:40 AM) *

I'am sure I read on here the BMW calipers have to be machined to @ the mounting ears (inside) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .

That is correct only for the later years, the Pelican tech article also confirms this, but mine is a 71 and should not need to (unless the struts are swapped...)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 18 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

How can you tell the difference between an early and late spindle/strut tower?

Easy, early has a pinch bolt, late has a wedge bolt.
So the pinch bolt will be a nut and a bolt at the bottom of the strut that holds the ball joint shaft will be slotted. On the later ones, a wedge bolt looks like a cotter pin with a small nut on the end to tighten it down. No slot at the bottom of the strut.
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Feb 18 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2018, 11:46 AM) *

How can you tell the difference between an early and late spindle/strut tower?

Easy, early has a pinch bolt, late has a wedge bolt.
So the pinch bolt will be a nut and a bolt ant the bottom of the strut that holds the ball joint shaft will be slotted. On the later ones, a wedge bolt looks like a cotter pin with a small nut on the end to tighten it down. No slot at the bottom of the strut.

Thanks! That is a big help, unfortunately I won’t be able to check until next weekend since the car is not stored local to me. I also found another picture on my camera roll showing the caliper I removed has 2 bleed valves. I think this indicates a later caliper (and thus late rotors and struts). Can anyone confirm? I can’t recall if the rotor has the hub ring or not and don’t have a picture at the moment.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 18 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am guessing the struts were swapped out because those are late ATE fronts. The bottom of the strut will have a nut instead of a bolt.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Feb 18 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Yes late. Yes you need to machine the calipers to fit those struts. And yes the rotors I have posted are held for you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:46 PM