Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holley Carb on a 1.8, anyone got info on this setup
Literati914
post Mar 21 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a 1.8L engine in a non-running '74 I got about a month ago, that has a single Holley carb mounted. It has an aluminum tag that reads "R9677" and "1943". Does anyone know anything about this setup? I've never heard of a Holley on a 914. Is it a reasonable carb for a stock 1.8? thx.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 21 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That would be a progressive carb. Not part of any stock setup. Aftermarket cheap fix for someone who took the fuel injection off. It works, but really affects performance. I test drove a 914 with one and the power was WAY down.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Mar 21 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

As I am sure you likely know. Many will say there is no "reasonable" single carb set up for the 914.

But the Holley R-9677 is a fairly middle of the road two barrel carb. Believe it is the same as the Holley 5200.

Used on engines 2.8 L and larger so should be plenty for a 1.8. But with the single carb set up there will always be issues with good performance and such.

If you got it non running you can almost be sure the carb needs a rebuild. Kits are $50-$60+ and a lot of time and experience. Hard not to go with reman one for a $150 to $200 if you are going to keep the carb set up.

Going this route eliminates a lot of potential problems to run down when trying to get it started.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 21 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

IMO the Holley isn't up to the Weber and even that struggles with this setup,the T4 engine isn't suited to a single centre mount car due to the long manifold runners and lack of preheat to them.
If on a budget factor in the twin Weber ICT's or pick up a good used IDF dual throat set used in the classified section on here,they seem to come up fairly often.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Mar 24 2018, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Is that the same carb that was used on Type I VWs? Think it went by the marketing name of BugSpray. As I recall from my VW days, they were cold blooded as Porschetub noted due to lack of manifold heating and had a reputation for engine fires. I don't recall what the root cause of that was though. It might be worth doing some research to understand if its the same carb and why/if they were susceptible to engine fires.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Mar 24 2018, 11:40 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I don't think the Bugspray carb was a progressive 2 barrel carb, I think it was a standard 2 barrel carb.
I had a 2 barrel carb on an old Baja bug and it never ran as well as the dual ICTs I had before the 2 bbl.

I don't know if what I had was a Bugspray or not but it was supposed to be an upgrade from the ICTs, it wasn't.

Jim
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 24 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Usually a quick fix due to the mysteries of the Ljet fuel injection. With any luck the FI was tossed aside with internal engine parts remaining unchanged. The Ljet parts are readily available.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:08 PM