Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resto-Mod AC system, Miata AC?
BPic
post Jun 24 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

I need to add AC to my 72 914 to get my wife in it for anything longer than a trip to the grocery store. I'm currently down to the tub and doing rust repairs now, but think I should plan this out for wiring, AC lines, etc. at this point.

I used to have a Miata and the AC was great so I thought it would be a good system to 'Mod" in. This is a 3 part system and I would eliminate the heater section and run just the blower and Evaporator sections.

Original plan: I can get the compete Miata AC system, evap, blower, condenser, controls, relays, everything for about $250. (it appears that the Miata units will fit) Have custom lines made and install the condenser in the frunk in the renegade radiator spot. I would then customize an air dam to pull air in. So I would not position the condenser in the normal aftermarket hole in floor. I would also add a custom gauge console and hide the controls in it and add 2 - 914 vents into it as well and have the air vent through the original dash vents and the 2 new ones. Being in Miami I don't need or want the heater so that would all be eliminated.

Has anyone done this and if so what manufacture AC did you use? Or am I totally nuts to think this is possible? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, crticism, assistance, or opinions.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 24 2018, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Why not get an actual 914 AC system? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 24 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Lots of under dash A/C systems would work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I am mocking up one using the Vintage Air system Micro or Mini I can't remember which as I have both units. One of them just fits behind the gas tank on the passenger side. Half in and out of the car. Not a huge amount of metal work, not prove solution just yet either.

Kent used an under dash unit in his build.. Yes it is a conversion car, but the basics are the same. Oh they make one with out the heat / defrost option.

Stock picture you can get them with out the silver vent surround.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jun 24 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 24 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Why not get an actual 914 AC system? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I looked at those and being pretty much a self contained system it wasn't the appearance I was looking for. I would like to use the stock air vents on each side if the dash and add 2 in the console. Really looking for an option of not having look like a bolt on unit like the aftermarket 914 units. I'm not trying to keep the car all original as this will be a mid mod car in other ways as well.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 24 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

My wife doesn't like to ride in my 914 and I'm perfectly fine with that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jun 24 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 24 2018, 12:09 PM) *

My wife doesn't like to ride in my 914 and I'm perfectly fine with that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 24 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #7

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

If your running. center console and don't mind doing a bit of fabrication than I would think One of these might do the trick.

Mini Cooler

Or wait for McMark to get his done, I think it was Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Also a great write up on here for another version by Larry Hubby, he did a series of 4 posts on what he did. This will give you an idea of his setup and make you dig a bit deeper.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #8

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Auto Atlanta sells an updated 914 AC system which cools better, uses R134 & robs less HP than the originals, & is based on the dealer supplied DP system, available in 1 or 2 evaporator coil types.

Yes it does attach under the dash & requires the shortened center console, but you would have to rework a mess of air vent & heater plumbing to add something to work in the existing side vents.

AFAIK anything AC for the old 914s & 911/912/930s were mounted under the dash, until when the Porsche began offering factory AC in 911s, & that was in the `80s IIRC.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 24 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #9

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The stock system is somewhat intrusive of footroom, especially near the throttle pedal. The installation generally also leaves something to be desired in terms of cleanliness.

One of the guys here on the board hid a system in the stock cool air box, and could use the stock fan and distribution system to deliver the air. That's a much nicer install IMHO than the stock under-dash type. It did involve a fair amount of work, of course.

I don't remember how the compressor and condenser were handled. There may have been an electric compressor used? That offers a ton of flexibility for mounting options; you don't need to line up with any of the pulleys on the engine that way. No cutting holes in the cooling tin...

EDIT: Oops, the one I was thinking of was the one by Larry Hubby, as Stephen pointed to in his post above!!

--DD
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jun 24 2018, 01:43 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 194

Here you go Larrys AC install

This has to be one of the best threads, The only ones that even compare are his other threads.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 24 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 24 2018, 09:38 AM) *

If your running. center console and don't mind doing a bit of fabrication than I would think One of these might do the trick.

Mini Cooler

Or wait for McMark to get his done, I think it was Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Also a great write up on here for another version by Larry Hubby, he did a series of 4 posts on what he did. This will give you an idea of his setup and make you dig a bit deeper.

That’s what I plan on doing as well as an electric compressor. Just no time to put it together. I have the condenser already installed.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jun 24 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #12

Larry's post is amazing!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/016.gif) Mad skills and a great write up.

I think I'll dig into that.

+Quote Post
flmont
post Jun 24 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

There is also a company that does AC. for VW beatles Iceautoair.com
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 24 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(flmont @ Jun 24 2018, 06:06 PM) *

There is also a company that does AC. for VW beatles Iceautoair.com

They make a kit to put in a rotary compressor for a type IV that works like a charm in a 914.

I have one in Betty's car, and I highly recommend it.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 25 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #15

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

You live in TX and install a CA A/C system in your 914. I live in CA and install a TX A/C system in mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 25 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 24 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Mini Cooler

I have a design that replaces the stock fresh air box. Works well, but is a PITA to make because it' such a complicated piece.

If you want something that comes out the stock vents and you're willing to put out the $, I've got the goods.
+Quote Post
BPic
post Jun 25 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2018, 12:06 PM) *

Mini Cooler

I have a design that replaces the stock fresh air box. Works well, but is a PITA to make because it' such a complicated piece.

If you want something that comes out the stock vents and you're willing to put out the $, I've got the goods.

McMark, I would certainly be interested to see what you have. Thanks!
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 25 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2018, 09:06 AM) *

Mini Cooler

What is the cost? Also can it recirculate the inside air versus always being air from the outside?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 25 2018, 10:21 AM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I need to transition the design to Fusion360 and make some tweaks. I'll start working on it at home in the evening, but expect something over $500, probably closer to the $1000 range. It doesn't recirculate the air. That would be really complicated and would involve cutting the body, which isn't something I'm interested in pursuing.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 26 2018, 07:01 AM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2018, 12:06 PM) *

Mini Cooler

I really would be interested to know more about this Mark- BTW installing the pushrods tubes with your seals, interested to see how the seal up- just going to apply oil for lube only no other sealant.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:55 AM