Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> URO trim evaluation, an unbiased look
peteyd
post Jul 19 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

Hello all,

I volunteered to evaluate 5 pieces from URO. They are all trim pieces.

First of all, I am not going to resell these on my website. I have no vested interest in the company. I personally have used all of the regular suppliers and I hold no allegiance to anyone.

Competition creates quality. At Restoration Design we deal with it just as much as anyone else. It can be frustrating, but in the end it only make us work harder to have better quality parts.

These are the pieces that I reviewed. I used original Porsche rubber to test the fit.

914 531 865 10 (This fits the left side targa top; has a very slight curve to it.)
914 531 866 10 (This fits the right side targa top; has a very slight curve to it.)

I test fit these on a /6 that we are assembling here, so its my desire to have quality pieces put on it.

Attached Image Attached Image

The curve matched the original well. Also the screw holes are all in the correct location.

The only issue I have with this piece was that I had to file the edge of the trim to slide the rubber seal in. This did not affect the appearance from the outside.

914 531 827 10 (This fits the left B-pillar; has a pronounced curve to it.)
914 531 828 10 (This fits the right B-pillar; has a pronounced curve to it.)

Attached Image

These pieces match up to originals well. The curve is correct and the holes are in the proper location. The factory had crimped the edges in several spots to hold the rubber in. These repros don't have the crimp, and in my opinion rightly so, because the end user needs to do the crimp once the rubber is installed.

I also had to file the edges to slide the rubber in.

914 559 103 10 (Rear outer roll bar mounding)

This piece is also very nice in appearance. The one knock would be the curvature is slightly off from the original. It was not hard to flex it to the right curve while installing it though.

In conclusion, these are very nice parts, and they will definitely be staying on this car. I believe that I provided enough photos for anyone else to form their own opinion as well, but if you desire any other photos let me know.

Pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 19 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Good, fair review. More new parts to choose from.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 19 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Pete - Nice review. Thanks for all the support you provide our community!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 19 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very nice.. I like that uro is stepping up the quality on so many parts.

Are they also making rear roll bar trim that is super expensive for what it is?
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jul 19 2018, 02:27 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 19 2018, 12:09 PM) *

Very nice.. I like that uro is stepping up the quality on so many parts.

I have no idea what they have coming up. Maybe Drew, the UROpartsman can chime in to what is coming to the market in the near future.

Pete
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jul 19 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,288
Region Association: None

Great job on the review Pete, thank you!

QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 19 2018, 11:57 AM) *
The only issue I have with this piece was that I had to file the edge of the trim to slide the rubber seal in.

The original trim has the same 90-degree edge, we're guessing the assembly line probably had a match-fit nylon funnel or some kind of tool to help slide the rubber into the track without having to chamfer the end of the trim.

The factory had crimped the edges in several spots to hold the rubber in. These repros don't have the crimp, and in my opinion rightly so, because the end user needs to do the crimp once the rubber is installed.

Absolutely right, the originals were staked on the assembly line after the rubber was installed. We have genuine NOS pieces for reference, and they are not crimped.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 19 2018, 01:09 PM) *

Indeed we are making the "rear sail trim" / "buttress trim", and hope to have it available this fall! These pieces have several compound curves and are extremely difficult to make, so it's taking a lot of development time and effort. We're making good progress though. And there's more good news; we should also have the trim for the A-pillars available around the same time.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jul 19 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jul 19 2018, 05:29 PM) *

The only issue I have with this piece was that I had to file the edge of the trim to slide the rubber seal in.

The original trim has the same 90-degree edge, we're guessing the assembly line probably had a match-fit nylon funnel or some kind of tool to help slide the rubber into the track without having to chamfer the end of the trim.

The factory had crimped the edges in several spots to hold the rubber in. These repros don't have the crimp, and in my opinion rightly so, because the end user needs to do the crimp once the rubber is installed.

Absolutely right, the originals were staked on the assembly line after the rubber was installed. We have genuine NOS pieces for reference, and they are not crimped.

Indeed we are, and hope to have them available this fall! These pieces have several compound curves and are extremely difficult to make, so it's taking a lot of development time and effort. We're making good progress though.

And there's more good news; we should also have the trim for the A-pillars available around the same time.
how about rear sail trim that's not tin foil?
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Jul 20 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Jul 19 2018, 04:29 PM) *

Indeed we are, and hope to have them available this fall! These pieces have several compound curves and are extremely difficult to make, so it's taking a lot of development time and effort. We're making good progress though.

And there's more good news; we should also have the trim for the A-pillars available around the same time.

That’s great news. I just purchased the rear targa trim straight from Porsche. $220 something for each, left and right. Right fit marginally well, left not at all. The curve was all wrong. Even if you could bend it (wasn’t going to take that chance with a brand new piece of aluminum I wouldn’t be able to return if I bent the snot out of it trying to get it to fit. Sierra Madre sent me another left side and it too didn’t fit. If it’s not hijacking a thread I’ll post my pics and comments on where and why the factory part didn’t fit.

I’m trying to go back to the original look. My trim is either blacked out or painted the same color as the car.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jul 20 2018, 06:41 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

maybe off topic a little, but I have used uro parts on my bmw's for over 10 years and have been very satisfied with the parts. I have found that proper installation goes along way towards partslife, no matter who made it. I would not hesitate to use uro parts on my 914's. fwiw.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 20 2018, 08:38 AM
Post #10

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Good review. The complete test will include how the top fits to the windows and how the trim meets the top to seal. I may have missed it but whose seal did you use? That could also affect the final fit.
Bruce
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jul 20 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jul 19 2018, 07:35 PM) *
how about rear sail trim that's not tin foil?

It's always a challenge when deciding to make something the same as OE, or change the design a bit attempting to improve it. If you change it, you'll likely enrage the purists. If you make it the same as OE, there might be some grumbling, but it will be directed at the original designer instead. It's a tough call, made on a case-by-case basis.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jul 20 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'll definitely want some of the A pillar trim when it's complete.

Also, where do you buy the outer roll bar molding: 914.559.103.10 ???
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jul 20 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 20 2018, 10:10 AM) *
Also, where do you buy the outer roll bar molding: 914.559.103.10 ???

dr914@autoatlanta can confirm, but this is probably it: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Used-Up...1455910310.html
Sierra Madre just added it as well: http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Targa...-76-p27001.html
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 20 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I had a very good outcome on a URO part that they made good on. Good communication and really great follow-up.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Jul 21 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,621

Is there anywhere in the UK or Europe I can order URO parts from?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 21 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(defianty @ Jul 21 2018, 03:03 AM) *

Is there anywhere in the UK or Europe I can order URO parts from?

SSF caries these parts and all the other URO parts. SSF is a very large Porsche parts distributor that many shop like ours order from. So check with a shop near you if they order from SSF. It might be a lot less for shipping if they have a Europe warehouse.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:41 PM