Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blower Motor and modern compressor, happy together in engine compartment ?
Literati914
post Mar 21 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Lots of people have installed modern A/C compressors .. and lots of people have invested in SSHE's (so they must be using the heater system, right?) - yet I can not remember seeing any pics of an engine compartment w/ modern compressor and the STOCK blower motor system.

I was always going to have A/C on this one but the other day I snagged a nice set of SSI heat exchangers for $400 (couldn't pass them up) - so 'Yea, I'll have heat too!'. Then I realized I need to source the stock blower motor... Which got me wondering, won't the compete for space? Any pics out there with both, or alternate mountings? TIA...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 22 2019, 04:53 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Heater blower installs on drivers side of engine. Plenty of room for ac compressor on the passenger side.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 22 2019, 05:34 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

I can't remember the name but there was a 3rd AC kit for the 914. The compressor mounted where the smog pump was on the 75-76. Thinking about using the smog pump setup to put AC my car. Make custom mount for Sanyo rotary compressor and drive it from pump drive.
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Mar 22 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 22 2019, 04:34 AM) *

I can't remember the name but there was a 3rd AC kit for the 914. The compressor mounted where the smog pump was on the 75-76. Thinking about using the smog pump setup to put AC my car. Make custom mount for Sanyo rotary compressor and drive it from pump drive.

I believe you are referring to this link Doug Lee AC Development and Testing

I have one of his kits still in a box. Perhaps he may be induced to make another production run if there is enough interest. I was contacted by an Australia member and desperately need AC solutions. Just need to get enough people to mske it worth the headache. I would buy another.
+Quote Post
Chip
post Mar 22 2019, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,986
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Mar 22 2019, 04:53 AM) *

Heater blower installs on drivers side of engine. Plenty of room for ac compressor on the passenger side.

I have an old York compressor and mounting flange if you want them. Not sure if it works, but it's heavy to ship.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Mar 22 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 22 2019, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 22 2019, 04:34 AM) *

I believe you are referring to this link Doug Lee AC Development and Testing

I have one of his kits still in a box. Perhaps he may be induced to make another production run if there is enough interest. I was contacted by an Australia member and desperately need AC solutions. Just need to get enough people to mske it worth the headache. I would buy another.

I plan to do another run but need to find the time to revive the project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I agreee that you can still easily mount the blower and a compressor in the engine bay.
The blower in the engine compartment doesn't do a whole lot anyway. The majority of the heat comes from the engine fan.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Mar 22 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #7

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 22 2019, 07:34 AM) *

I doubt the rubber coupling in the air pump drive will stand up the load of an a/c compressor.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Mar 23 2019, 11:36 AM
Post #8

No I didnt realize the blower motor mounted so far to the drivers side (still not sure how it mounts actually). But I know a lot of the modern compressors get mounted top/center... the gist of my question is: Does the heater hose for the passenger side fit over top of the compressor (with the rain tray? without?) ? ..or just run it behind the compressor (over top of the engine) ?

I like Doug's universal mount (that wasn't quite universal) but would love to see it in aluminum. And would definitely be a customer for one of his fan adapter if/when more are made! Also, Im intrigued with the idea of an under-tin mount to the passengers side too.
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 23 2019, 02:11 PM
Post #9

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

If you use the period York mount to mount a modern Sanden Compressor it doesn't interfere with the heater blower in any way. Only certain year cars connect both heat exchangers to the heat blower. My passenger side is heat tube capped but there is plenty of room to add a hose and a Y adapter.

Attached Image

The heater is on the other side of the car...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 23 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The 70-72 cars had a heater blower mounted more centrally, on a bracket bolted on top of the fan shroud. The 73+ cars had a welded bracket on the left side of the engine bay where the blower mounted.

The two dealer-installed AC setups put the compressor in the right-front corner of the engine bay, as shown in MarkV's photo above.

--DD
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Mar 23 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 23 2019, 10:47 PM) *

The 70-72 cars had a heater blower mounted more centrally, on a bracket bolted on top of the fan shroud. The 73+ cars had a welded bracket on the left side of the engine bay where the blower mounted.

--DD

Thanks for the pics and info Mark ! Maybe I'll use the stock york bracket after all (compressor was missing for some reason).

Dave - Ok, my car's a 72 .. and I do have the bracket which looks like a large rounded triangle w/ a central hole in it where the fan motor mounts through (but fan motor is missing for some reason too). So.. Ive noticed that there are a couple different fan motors. One is a single outlet and one is dual. Can I use the dual fan with the bracket I described above? I'd like have heater hose going to both sides if possible. Thanks guys.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 25 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

There were three blowers. One with two outlets on opposite sides of the housing; that was used on the 70-72 cars. One with a single outlet; that was used on the 73-74 cars. And one with a single outlet with a splitter on it; that was used on the 75-76 cars.

If you have that first time, it should be exactly what originally came on the car.

--DD
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 25 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #13

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

AA makes a retrofit kit with a splitter for 73-74 cars:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Hea...lower-srch.html

I bought one years ago and never installed it jut because I am in AZ and didn't feel like the extra clutter in the engine compartment was worth the effort.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:54 AM