Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 2.0 rare color
cscrogham
post Apr 15 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,462
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hello-am taking a project car to Hershey this weekend, really interesting car that needs pretty much everything. Its a Performance and Appearance Group 2.0 with factory AC (Kool-Aire) in Marathon Blue Metallic special color. Matching numbers and color confirmed with COA. Hasn't been monkeyed with, even has the green wheel lug paint from the 2.0 alloy wheel recall in '73 still on there. Original wheels and chrome bumpers are decent, needs one bumper guard. Not running and hasn't been for a long time.
The car is intact with the normal rust issues: needs the battery tray (included), sail panels, center of rear pans, under pedals, rockers etc. had a $500 repaint at some point that is peeling off can see the original paint underneath and in jambs (still original VIN tag in driver's door jamb). Interior is decent, needs a dash but can keep a lot of the original stuff including seats. Original glass still there and pretty nice believe it or not.
$7500/obo

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Apr 15 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

You need to post photos of the interior, rusted places and a lot more. According to the rules here your ad must have a price and we cannot offer feedback without photos and more information. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 15 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(cscrogham @ Apr 15 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Hello-am taking a project car to Hershey this weekend, really interesting car that needs pretty much everything. Its a Performance and Appearance Group 2.0 with factory AC (Kool-Aire) in Marathon Blue Metallic special color. Matching numbers and color confirmed with COA. Hasn't been monkeyed with, even has the green wheel lug paint from the 2.0 alloy wheel recall in '73 still on there. Original wheels and chrome bumpers are decent, needs one bumper guard. Not running and hasn't been for a long time.
The car is intact with the normal rust issues: needs the battery tray (included), sail panels, center of rear pans, under pedals, rockers etc. had a $500 repaint at some point that is peeling off can see the original paint underneath and in jambs (still original VIN tag in driver's door jamb). Interior is decent, needs a dash but can keep a lot of the original stuff including seats. Original glass still there and pretty nice believe it or not.
Now that these things are $60k plus restored what is a fair price for a project?

Questions about the car & potential value/price are best asked in the Garage Forum, since you have to list with a price already in the classifieds per the rules, as noted above.

There were NO "factory AC" in any Porsche, Audi nor VW car back in the early 1970's - only dealer installed accessories/options offered in the USA/Canada through Porsche+Audi's parent VW of America's VW Products Corp., & there were only 2 - brands VPC & DPD which dealers also sold thru VW suppliers.

Whereas, the Kool-Aire in your 914 was an aftermarket unit, which I believe was sold through Monkey Wards &/or Sears, & other Auto AC installation shops.

Looking at the rear Fuchs with 2 light blue paint dabbed lug bolts, it looks to be an early 73 2L built up through Dec 72 for the Wheel Recall that those paint dabs denoted having passed - although they'd be 1 per wheel, with 4 total. You could leave those paint dabs on for originality & restore around the dabs on the 4, & restore/clean-up the other 12 of 16 lugs for a project.

The recall was for wheels that end in p/n xxx-00 instead of the proper -01 which had the machined insets for the hub-centric front hubs started in 73 MY - but those actual wheels could've been changed out to the -00's over the past 47 years - so you should check all of the wheels that they have the proper off-set lip to seat properly when used on the front positions.

It sounds like you know about the recall, but you can find documentation for it on Jeff Bowlsby's Classic 914 website.

So that recall places it in what I'm guessing is a VIN sticker with an August - Dec 1972 or maybe Jan 73 VIN date, but the Chassis code would probably give you the former 5 month time span, since the recall only went up to Dec 72. That, plus it having both Appearance & Performance/Sport Groups of options, mean that it was probably the "914S" trim level sold with those groups included in the 2L's base price up to March-ish-73.

But it will be the condition of this car, what work is required to fix "the normal rust" & restore it back to a #1 or 2+ level car to reach anywhere near the #1+ low mile $60K you mention.

BTW - there is no normal rust, just more, less or different areas, except for a few well kept 914s.

I suggest that for now you either move this post to the Garage, or copy your post & questions there for more feedback, but then you need to add a price here.

PS - by posting in the Garage Forum you'll also get some post count(s) (classifieds don't count), & you can intro yourself as a real member of the community on here!
- As it is, you've been a member since Sept 26 2017, but with zero posts.

GLWTS & Enjoy Hershey! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 15 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

$5-6K
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 15 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #5

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2019, 02:03 PM) *

$5-6K

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 15 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 15 2019, 05:49 PM) *

$5-6K

Jeffrey could probably confirm it costs about $55k to get a $5k car to a $60k value.
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Apr 15 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #7

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

There have obviously been rust in the longs... no jack points.
Rust coming through lower front fender behind the wheel.
Need much more info but without I would agree with the 5-6 at most.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 15 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2019, 02:59 PM) *

$5-6K

Jeffrey could probably confirm it costs about $55k to get a $5k car to a $60k value.

Yup! If not more.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 16 2019, 03:31 AM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Anyone that can get 60k for a 4 cylinder 914 that started with a rusted chassis could sell catsup popsicles at a white glove convention.

The high end sales start with uncompromised cars not rusted basket cases.

GLWTS
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 16 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #10

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(jagalyn @ Apr 15 2019, 06:13 PM) *

There have obviously been rust in the longs... no jack points.
Rust coming through lower front fender behind the wheel.
Need much more info but without I would agree with the 5-6 at most.

I am not sure it is worth more than $2,000 because you are not showing anything.
If its Eng is toast and its trans and there is a lot of rust it may not be worth that.
You ask but do not show. It needs good bones. THere are a lot of 914s out there not like 911s.

Bob B
+Quote Post
burton73
post Apr 16 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #11

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Jeffreys car had great bones. No rust to speak of.

Bob B
+Quote Post
liebe
post Apr 16 2019, 03:24 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 14,357

Please state price, its sounds bad, but if you want to know what is really worth, fleebay is the perfect place.

+Quote Post
Bobby Smith
post Apr 16 2019, 03:45 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,926

Guys, this seller may be new to 914 World but he is very well known and respected world wide in the Porsche arena. Maybe give him a chance to list a price and post a few more photos. I've personally seen his restoration work and your jaw would drop. Goes to show you never really know who is on this site.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 16 2019, 06:08 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2019, 02:59 PM) *

$5-6K

Yup, you could easily spend $55k perhaps even more out here in LA without even trying. The trick is to search for NOS parts in the VW aircooled world and with 914Member vendors such as @bdstone914 & @914Sixer . Even more difficult to find paint, bodywork, motor & transmission rebuild at non-Porsche pricing, but it can be done.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 16 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 16 2019, 02:19 PM) *

Jeffreys car had great bones. No rust to speak of.

Bob B

Absolutely!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Apr 16 2019, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 16 2019, 04:31 AM) *

Anyone that can get 60k for a 4 cylinder 914 that started with a rusted chassis could sell catsup popsicles at a white glove convention.

The high end sales start with uncompromised cars not rusted basket cases.

GLWTS

Bingo. You can’t assume, like you would with a long hood, that you’ll get top dollar for top work with these. They are certainly climbing but upper market is thin.
+Quote Post
cscrogham
post Apr 17 2019, 10:30 AM
Post #17

I'm new here ...

Sorry, didn't realize you have to state a price to be on this forum. Moderators please delete this thread it is not appropriate here.
The car will be at Hershey if anyone wants to see it in person.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Apr 17 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 18,984

I love that color good luck on the sale post again when you know your price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
volksaddict
post Apr 17 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,645
Region Association: Southwest Region

That color does look great on a 914!
+Quote Post
cscrogham
post Apr 18 2019, 09:31 AM
Post #20

I'm new here ...

After talking to some other experts I am going to ask $7500 and take the best offer through Hershey this weekend.
You can see the car in person there and make any determinations you want on value, originality etc. You can also have a buddy take as many photos as you want of any detail if you can't make it, but I doubt it will last long. Clear title will be in hand so can make a deal on the spot and you can pick up if you have enough folding green stuff.
Yes it is a great color, the best color imho, and a complete matching numbers project of the most desirable year/model of the 914/4.
Thanks for looking.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:46 PM