Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Tank fittings & pads
Gatornapper
post Apr 19 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

When I got my 914 the tank was not in the car. I had the tank restored, but the guy lost the fittings that connect to the bottom of the tank. The fittings are no longer available anywhere.

Can anyone tell me the size of the fittings? They seem to be about 14mm dia., fine metric thread.

Also, I cannot tell where the rubber pads go that support the tank on the seam - I was told they go on the sides, but I cannot tell where. See my post #53 under "Newbie from virginia..."

Can someone attach a pic of where they go or describe their placement precisely?

I'm dead in the water getting the car running without these fittings and knowing the placement of the pads.

Thanks for the help!

GN
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 19 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

wow sorry you lost them, the pads go in three places, vw used pieces for the factory carpet to make then, we can send you a pic. The nipples must be sourced used as they cannot be easily made. WE have the strainer sock, both large and small nuts and the two crush washers new

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 19 2019, 08:21 AM) *

When I got my 914 the tank was not in the car. I had the tank restored, but the guy lost the fittings that connect to the bottom of the tank. The fittings are no longer available anywhere.

Can anyone tell me the size of the fittings? They seem to be about 14mm dia., fine metric thread.

Also, I cannot tell where the rubber pads go that support the tank on the seam - I was told they go on the sides, but I cannot tell where. See my post #53 under "Newbie from virginia..."

Can someone attach a pic of where they go or describe their placement precisely?

I'm dead in the water getting the car running without these fittings and knowing the placement of the pads.

Thanks for the help!

GN
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 19 2019, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Dr914 -

Not long after I posted this, I figured out where the black rubber pads go, on either lower side of the tank on the rim. The 'carpet' pieces are in place and no problem.

I have a new strainer sock, ready to go in if I can find the nuts - both are the same size, about 17mm. I think I can make the nipples in my shop if I have the 2 nuts and crush washers.

So glad you have the nuts!

But would I be able to locally source them as a standard metric part?

Will call.....

GN

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 19 2019, 09:36 AM) *

wow sorry you lost them, the pads go in three places, vw used pieces for the factory carpet to make then, we can send you a pic. The nipples must be sourced used as they cannot be easily made. WE have the strainer sock, both large and small nuts and the two crush washers new

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 19 2019, 08:21 AM) *

Thanks for the help!

GN

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 19 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #4

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here’s a few pictures,

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 19 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #5

Garland -

Thank you! I finally figured it out looking at wear marks after a guy told me the went on the sides - I earlier concluded the slots meant they went on the rib/seam....the one on the driver's side will even sit in place on its own.

But you've confirmed my thoughts - thank you so much for taking the trouble of taking the pics and posting them.......

Impressed how new your 914 looks on the inside......

GN

QUOTE(Garland @ Apr 19 2019, 11:06 AM) *

Here’s a few pictures,

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 24 2019, 07:55 AM
Post #6

Ok, fuel tank nuts coming from AA today or tomorrow.

Any suggestions on what to do with the pipe? With carbs I don't need the return line, just need to plug the nipple on the tank. I do have the fuel filter that goes in the tank nipple.

Thinking of trying a piece of 3/8" copper tubing with a compression sleeve compressed on it - that looks like it will work fine on the nipple end - but not so sure on the nut end....

Maybe I can jerry-rig something with some teflon tape or plumbing stuff....

GN
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Apr 24 2019, 08:11 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

For the fuel system ”jerry-rig something" isn't a good choice.
Put a WTB ad in the classified section here and someone will offer up the tubes/nipples you need.
There are some regulars that sell used parts here that probably have them.
I believe there are two different size outlet tubes, early cars use a larger outlet tube at the tank.
The change came when they moved the fuel pump up front under the fuel tank.

There are several here running carbs and keeping the return line so the fuel recirculates and stays cooler.

Jim
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 24 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There are a few threads on pros and cons of running a return fuel line with carbs. I think this is the latest one: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...323720&st=0

Another pro I discovered when inspecting my tank is that the return line is what keeps the reserve fuel bowl full.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Apr 24 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

If you need the fittings pm me, you cover shipping and they're yours
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 24 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

that is a very nice offer, those pipes are very hard to find. Something Mark Whitesell should make

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 24 2019, 07:27 AM) *

If you need the fittings pm me, you cover shipping and they're yours
+Quote Post
jfort
post Apr 24 2019, 09:48 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Had my tank out last winter. For me, the difficulties were connecting the rubber lines from the tank to the Tangerine Racing steel lines under the tank. Getting them as long as possible to give you some room to work with but not too long so that they kink. Also, we ended up hooking a string to a weight to the drain line so that we could get the drain line out the hole in the floor. Definitely a five hand operation.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 24 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 24 2019, 08:11 AM) *

For the fuel system ”jerry-rig something" isn't a good choice.
Put a WTB ad in the classified section here and someone will offer up the tubes/nipples you need.
There are some regulars that sell used parts here that probably have them.
I believe there are two different size outlet tubes, early cars use a larger outlet tube at the tank.
The change came when they moved the fuel pump up front under the fuel tank.

There are several here running carbs and keeping the return line so the fuel recirculates and stays cooler.

Jim

Jim -

thanks for all the feedback - I've been wrenching for 60 years, and am very careful with fuel lines/systems - wouldn't do anything that would leak. I have a full auto/truck/motorcycle shop, 10k lift, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion to find one here - Chi-town has already offered his! Wouldn't have happened w/o your feedback.

Agree with keeping the return line advice as well.

GN
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:37 AM