Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SoCal Mechanic Recommendations, 914-4 top end work, preferably in the San Gabriel Valley
thewoj
post May 21 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,486
Region Association: Southern California

Hey all, I am looking for a new mechanic in the San Gabriel Valley (or greater Los Angeles) area. Unfortunately, my previous mechanic has become hard get in touch with and my 914 has been sitting for over a year wasting away. I believe I dropped another valve seat, so the work is probably gonna involve dropping the engine and sending the heads out. Affordability is always a plus, I understand good work costs money but I have had a hard time convincing my boss of that.

Just for reference, engine is the original flat-4 1.8l taken out to 2.5l with dual webers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 21 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(thewoj @ May 21 2019, 02:19 PM) *

Hey all, I am looking for a new mechanic in the San Gabriel Valley (or greater Los Angeles) area. Unfortunately, my previous mechanic has become hard get in touch with and my 914 has been sitting for over a year wasting away. I believe I dropped another valve seat, so the work is probably gonna involve dropping the engine and sending the heads out. Affordability is always a plus, I understand good work costs money but I have had a hard time convincing my boss of that.

Just for reference, engine is the original flat-4 1.8l taken out to 2.5l with dual webers.

I live in the San Gabrel Valley. There is not shop to do those heads correctly......that I know of.

If you don.t have the means or talent to pull the motor yourself expect to pay at a min $1,500 for heads done right.

Call up European Motor Works.

If the boss doesn.t like the cost then get a new boss (not recommended) or slap a set of used 1.8 heads on it to get it running.

Don.t go cheap on the heads on Type IV.

The point isn.t to always make the boss happy but to keep the motor together so BOTH of you are.......happy.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post May 21 2019, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

Steves machine shop on arrow highway
Azusa ca .

Its not cheap but good work never is .

Are you doing the wrenching (removing and replaceing heads ) ???

Just go there and look around if you dont believe me .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
thewoj
post May 22 2019, 12:23 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(thelogo @ May 21 2019, 05:30 PM) *

Azusa ca .

I have some mechanical experience, I have done a few engine and tranny swaps, and wrenched on a variety of issues about my vehicles. That said, I have never personally removed a head, taken an engine apart, nor dropped the drivetrain on a 914. A direct lack of experience in these regards keeps me from taking on what seems a monumental undertaking with many moving parts, as it were. I was hoping to find someone who could do it faster and do it right the first time.

Do you think that if I was able to drop the engine I could drop it off at one of the aforementioned shops and let them do the teardown?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 22 2019, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

What is your budget for this? Hourly rate will cost plenty, both time and money.

I doubt stock 1.8 heads would support a 2.5L engine.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post May 22 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(thewoj @ May 21 2019, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ May 21 2019, 05:30 PM) *

Azusa ca .

I have some mechanical experience, I have done a few engine and tranny swaps, and wrenched on a variety of issues about my vehicles. That said, I have never personally removed a head, taken an engine apart, nor dropped the drivetrain on a 914. A direct lack of experience in these regards keeps me from taking on what seems a monumental undertaking with many moving parts, as it were. I was hoping to find someone who could do it faster and do it right the first time.

Do you think that if I was able to drop the engine I could drop it off at one of the aforementioned shops and let them do the teardown?

This is just
My imho

But if your not sure your a porsche mechanic/ engine builder

Then your not .

Mistakes at this level can get extremly expensive.

I fall in the (im not ) category

Before you do anything . look at the wcr thread
And there is a guy offering help

He can give you way better advice on this

I think screen name shoe something
+Quote Post
thewoj
post May 23 2019, 12:24 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 22 2019, 07:14 AM) *

What is your budget for this? Hourly rate will cost plenty, both time and money.

I doubt stock 1.8 heads would support a 2.5L engine.

Budget is somewhat flexible, I understand this is not gonna be cheap. My statement was only to get across that I am not a Vanderbilt and am looking for a 'get it done' mechanic and not a 99-point restoration mechanic.

The heads are no longer stock, and have had work done to them by my machinist who is by no means an air-cooled guru--probably why they continue to fail. I am looking to send them out to a machinist who is more reputable in terms of air-cooled heads this time around.

I believe I spoke with the owner of European Motor Works previously, I just have the issue of getting the heads/engine separate of the vehicle first which I believe was a pre-qualification for him.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:35 AM