Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to contact PCA to show support for 914SIG, PCA Disbanding 914 Special Interest Group
bahnzai
post Sep 18 2019, 07:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,509
Region Association: South East States

Bob, @naro914
Can you remind us again or give some more details on what & how to approach PCA to show support for the 914 specialty group to help keep Okteenerfest alive? Maybe this need to be a separate thread, but I thought participants might look here first?

Thanks again for a spectacular event! It is one of the most enjoyable outings of the year.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jfort
post Sep 25 2019, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had the following as the PCA guy to write to. It doesn't work. Obviously I copied it wrong or they block all 914 owners somehow.

60thclubgroupe@gmail.com

What's the correct address?
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 25 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 18 2019, 11:44 AM) *

Just an FYI, a couple of weeks before Okteenerfest, I reached out to Mike Blizzard and obtained a copy of the Sponsor Letter for Okteenerfest. With that in hand and being a 30+ year member of PCA, I contacted Vu Nguyen, PCA president. I had already reached out to Ezra Jones at PCNA directly (he was the PCNA representative that hosted the 914 event at the Atlanta Experience Center) to make him aware of Okteenerfest and 914World in general.

I contacted Vu via email and then spoke with him by phone and asked that he help me make contact with the person at PCNA in Atlanta with the following objectives:
1) make them aware of Okteenerfest,
2) let them know that there would likely be a large turnout at Okteenerfest (and there was compared to the 10 914s that showed up at the PCNA event), and
3) try to get some support from PCA or PCNA for Okteenerfest (either in the form of cash support or any door prize or memorabilia items that they might already have in the works for the Atlanta event).

Vu was not aware of Okteenerfest but he at least knows about it now. He said that he would try to reach out to someone at PCNA but I never heard back and my follow up call from the week before Okteenerfest was not returned.

I believe it would be worth a follow up to Vu for support of Okteenerfest next year. I can continue to work this if Bob and Mike are okay with me doing this.....I'm certainly willing to help if I can.

Vu and all EC are well aware of Okteenerfest - I personally invite them every year and I need their approval for insurance and the subsidy (which we didn't get this year). Manny knows too.

QUOTE(jfort @ Sep 25 2019, 04:32 PM) *

I had the following as the PCA guy to write to. It doesn't work. Obviously I copied it wrong or they block all 914 owners somehow.

60thclubgroupe@gmail.com

What's the correct address?

60thclubcoupe@gmail.com
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 25 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Sep 18 2019, 09:59 AM) *

Bob, @naro914
Can you remind us again or give some more details on what & how to approach PCA to show support for the 914 specialty group to help keep Okteenerfest alive? Maybe this need to be a separate thread, but I thought participants might look here first?

Thanks again for a spectacular event! It is one of the most enjoyable outings of the year.

Danny,
Just send him a note that you're disapointed that they decommisioned the 914 Registry group and how you feel disrespected (or whatever you want to say).
Based on the responses people are getting, not sure it's going to matter. Somehow its becoming my fault...

You will get a response along the lines of "We DO appreciate and respect the 914 owners, we are doing a celebration, and all...but Bob left and nobody stepped up, so we ditched it" which is not completely true since a couple people DID reach out to him about taking over and he never responded. So they gave up.

If ANYBODY wants to step up and be 914 Registry Advocate, please tell him. Its not a lot of work, but it may really pay dividends down the road.

+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Sep 25 2019, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,981

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 25 2019, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Sep 18 2019, 09:59 AM) *

Bob, @naro914

Danny,
Just send him a note that you're disapointed that they decommisioned the 914 Registry group and how you feel disrespected (or whatever you want to say).
Based on the responses people are getting, not sure it's going to matter. Somehow its becoming my fault...

You will get a response along the lines of "We DO appreciate and respect the 914 owners, we are doing a celebration, and all...but Bob left and nobody stepped up, so we ditched it" which is not completely true since a couple people DID reach out to him about taking over and he never responded. So they gave up.

If ANYBODY wants to step up and be 914 Registry Advocate, please tell him. Its not a lot of work, but it may really pay dividends down the road.

I just emailed him an offered to be the 914 Registry Advocate. We will see if there is really interest from PCA in having a 914 Registry. If there is someone else I should email my willingness send me a PM.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 25 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 25 2019, 03:09 PM) *

I wrote a week ago and didn't get a reply at all.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Sep 25 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,981

I received a reply from John. I’m not entirely sure how to interpret it. I do think he is upset with Bob for putting this out there. I figured that would be the case as soon as the slide with his email appeared on the screen. I replied to his email with what I think is a strong case to reestablish the 914 Registry and for me to become the advocate. It’s in their court now. The only other thing I think might help is a post here and on the 914 Facebook pages directing owners to go to the PCA website and respectfully email John letting him know we want our own Special Interest Group back. Not just for Octeenerfest, but for the love of our mid engine air cooled cars. We know all the coolest Porsche cars are built that way. Here is a link to the PCA page with a hyperlink to Johns PCA email. https://www.pca.org/special-interest-groups . I’m going to let someone else post this if they agree it will help the cause.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 26 2019, 06:33 AM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

When Charlie Davis (RIP) wanted to retire from being the SIG advocate, he asked me if I was willing to take over. I agreed, and he contacted PCA. They decided I wasn't well enough known in the mainstream PCA community, so I didn't get it. Even though I was well known in the 914 community, that was not good enough. That's when the contacted Bob. Bob did a great job, but he and PCA national had different ideas about the SIG/Registry.

Betty and I have been PCA members for 17 years. We initially didn't want to join because we were leery of the NARP stigma. Charlie convinced us to join, and we had only one NARP experience in the whole 17 years... until now. I am now considering ending our PCA membership. I have already decided to drop out of National Club Race Timing and Scoring as of next year.

As I understand it, the Registry had an issue with using 914world as the registry forum. But a bunch of the registries don't even have a website. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

PCA always says "It's not the cars, it's the people." Well, this action by PCA shows their motto should be "If you don't drive a 911, you ain't shit"
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 26 2019, 06:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

Reposting from previous thread

I emailed John and was respectful in my wording. But regardless of the reasoning, those on the outside can only see this as a very exclusionary action by PCA. I know there will be lots of “reasons” that explain what it’s not, but the simple reality is there is no other way for 914 owners to take this.

As a well funded organization PCA should be smart enough to know that. Regardless of reasons for the action there was clearly a million better ways to go about it.

We will wait to see how they respond. Not quite to canceling my membership but getting close.[b][/b]
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 26 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #10

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 26 2019, 06:57 AM) *

I emailed John and was respectful in my wording. But regardless of the reasoning, those on the outside can only see this as a very exclusionary action by PCA. I know there will be lots of “reasons” that explain what it’s not, but the simple reality is there is no other way for 914 owners to take this.

As a well funded organization PCA should be smart enough to know that. Regardless of reasons for the action there was clearly a million better ways to go about it.

We will wait to see how they respond. Not quite to canceling my membership but getting close.

I was courteous in my email. Silence is an effective communication technique.

I've left organizations I was very committed to in the past because they no longer represented my interests. Every man should decide what's best for himself.

914 owners are a rambunctious and dwindling crowd. Perhaps PCA has made the decision we're no longer worth it? Our hobby doesn't put a lot of dollars into the PCNA till.

I hope it's resolved or that we can find an alternative solution for insurance coverage that allows us to hold 914-specific events.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Sep 26 2019, 08:31 AM
Post #11

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sent email:

1986, 33 years ago, my soon to be bride, and I joined and attended a local PCA event here in south eastern Michigan. My 1st PCA event and at the time a 914 owner for 12 years.
2004 Joined 914World.com an attended 2004 & 2005 MidWest Classic 914 gatherings here in Michigan. Lots of 914, and lots of great people. Rejoined PCA, and due to no 914 content or interest, I did not renew our membership with PCA.

2016, & 2017 competed in the Build-off-Challenge Contest.

2019 found a great group of owners, in Northern Ontario. PCA UCR 914 SIG. Attended 2 events, and felt great warmth, and interest in the 914, by all owners, Rejoined PCA.

Okteenerfest was fantastic again this year. Thanks all that worked so hard to pull that off. Though PCA would be more involved, but the norm was true, very little attention from PCA on one of the biggest Porsche mid engine events in North America. PS: PCA most 914 owners own other Porsche products!

As you can tell the 914 drives my Porsche passion. Every time I have reached out to participate in PCA events I have not found the people, that I find in 914 themed events.
I have great interest in all Porsche products, but find some PCA regions that focused on other models don’t.

No matter what your interest, the great thing about “car guys” is they love there ride, and respect that in others. I think you will find 914 owners fall into this class of people. And would love to share all there Porsche experiences with others. PCA don’t let us down, please find more room for growing unity in the Porsche Community.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 26 2019, 09:40 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

My email.

John,

I am sure you had a number of people contact you regarding the 914 Registry. As a PCA members my wife and I are very troubled with the recent removal. We are a multiple Porsche family and long time PCA supporters. We are very conflicted on what message PCA is trying to convey to 914 owners. I was wondering if PCA could clarify their intent of this action as we find it to be exclusionary. This is not an action we think represents the PCA we have supported for any years.

I know you have others offer to serve as the 914 advocate and if you need support I would be happy to assist.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Sep 26 2019, 09:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 26 2019, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Sep 25 2019, 06:35 PM) *

I received a reply from John. I’m not entirely sure how to interpret it. I do think he is upset with Bob for putting this out there. I figured that would be the case as soon as the slide with his email appeared on the screen. I replied to his email with what I think is a strong case to reestablish the 914 Registry and for me to become the advocate. It’s in their court now. The only other thing I think might help is a post here and on the 914 Facebook pages directing owners to go to the PCA website and respectfully email John letting him know we want our own Special Interest Group back. Not just for Octeenerfest, but for the love of our mid engine air cooled cars. We know all the coolest Porsche cars are built that way. Here is a link to the PCA page with a hyperlink to Johns PCA email. https://www.pca.org/special-interest-groups . I’m going to let someone else post this if they agree it will help the cause.

I own 2 other Porches, so it disturbs me to see that some 914 fans are discussing dropping their PCA membership, which would generate absolutely no concern from PCA. By dropping out we would have no voice in decision making regarding the 914SIG, no chance of having the SIG restored. In the big picture, only PCA members have any power to affect change, we can't be on the outside looking in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 26 2019, 10:08 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

https://www.pca.org/special-interest-

Notice that there is nothing for 356 either, I think that both the 356 registry and the 914world are so strong, PCA feels like that they do not need an extra registry for either car??
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 26 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Porsche's future is with SUV's, sedans and, ultimately, electric versions of those vehicles.

Our cars (and those of us over 50) are not their target demographic. 914's are as alien to Porsche as old rotary phones are to telecom workers. There is no money in it nor any future. How many 914's survive compared to all the other Porsche models out there? Our numbers barely register.

It's not about the people...it hasn't been for a long time. It's about the money. The latest Panorama mentioned record membership growth and revenue is THREE time greater than it was just eight years ago. Sure, at the regional PCA level it may be about the people. But, at the corporate level it's about the money. Porsche (and PCA) will target the up and coming virtue signalling millennials with disposable income who will buy EV's. Very few of us have the income to buy a Taycan and those of us who do have that income don't have the desire. We are not the target audience.

It's up to forums like this to keep the 914 alive.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 26 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 26 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Porsche's future is with SUV's, sedans and, ultimately, electric versions of those vehicles.

Our cars (and those of us over 50) are not their target demographic. 914's are as alien to Porsche as old rotary phones are to telecom workers. There is no money in it nor any future. How many 914's survive compared to all the other Porsche models out there? Our numbers barely register.

It's not about the people...it hasn't been for a long time. It's about the money. The latest Panorama mentioned record membership growth and revenue is THREE time greater than it was just eight years ago. Sure, at the regional PCA level it may be about the people. But, at the corporate level it's about the money. Porsche (and PCA) will target the up and coming virtue signalling millennials with disposable income who will buy EV's. Very few of us have the income to buy a Taycan and those of us who do have that income don't have the desire. We are not the target audience.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I learned long ago not to chase people who aren’t interested in me.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 26 2019, 10:59 AM
Post #17

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Timely! I just received my renewal application from PCA. The only reason I joined was to support PCA thinking I would benefit from supporting PCA. Looks like I was fooled. Not this time. They will most likely celebrate my departure anyway. Adíos PCA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Sep 26 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

I went to my one and only PCA Meeting in 1973
and it was made abundantly clear that NO 914
was welcome.....
Over the years people have told me that the attitude of
the PCA has changed and they were being inclusive now.
I resisted going back and I’m glad I did.
Best of Luck to Them.........
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 26 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #19

Losing my mind...

As I posted on the other thread, To be clear...PCNA is in no way associated with PCA or the 914 Register Group. PCNA is Porsche Cars North America. They are a company. They sell new cars and quite honestly make zero money off of us 914 owners (ok, I do buy my oil filters from the local dealer for the race car but...) PCA is the club, and the register groups fall under PCA.

We can sit and discuss all we want about how we have a great community here and "who needs PCA anyway"....but...when it comes down to the insurance for the event, 914world is not going to provide that - PCA does. And without that insurance, there is no Okteenerfest...or at least I am not involved.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 26 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #20

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 26 2019, 09:44 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I learned long ago not to chase people who aren’t interested in me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:40 PM