Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> bought crane xr elec ignition, 1974 914 1.8
brcacti
post Dec 4 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, I bought this crane system and had a few question. It said for best results to buy a crane coil and change the spark plugs. How important are these extra steps to do? Also with electronic ignition does the spark plug gap change or stay the same?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 4 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

you can use it without changing anything.
However most now use pertronix, a lot less complicated, hides under the distributor cap, just need to watch the heat

If you have carbs that is another matter, especially BIG carbs

QUOTE(brcacti @ Dec 4 2019, 03:51 PM) *

Hello, I bought this crane system and had a few question. It said for best results to buy a crane coil and change the spark plugs. How important are these extra steps to do? Also with electronic ignition does the spark plug gap change or stay the same?

+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Dec 4 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I installed a Crane Fireball Electronic ignition years ago. I put in new plugs at the same time, no new coil. The engine has never missed on a cylinder since...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Dec 4 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #4

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Dec 4 2019, 05:10 PM) *

I installed a Crane Fireball Electronic ignition years ago. I put in new plugs at the same time, no new coil. The engine has never missed on a cylinder since...

COOL, why did you put in new spark plugs? Did you have to change the gap? Did you have it done or did you do it yourself? Are you a mechanic?
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Dec 4 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #5

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(brcacti @ Dec 4 2019, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Dec 4 2019, 05:10 PM) *

COOL, why did you put in new spark plugs? Did you have to change the gap? Did you have it done or did you do it yourself? Are you a mechanic?

I put in new plugs because they had never been changed. I gap checked them to spec. I did it myself as it is very easy to do. I am not a mechanic by trade, but I am a complete gearhead by birth. I have done all my own work on my cars unless it is very complicated.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 5 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

I have never altered plug gaps with electronic ignition,as far as the coil is concerned I would check the instructions or contact Crane,you need a coil with correct resistance with most other brands.
Good time to check your plug leads,rotor and cap to get the best from the system,no point in fitting it with old parts.
Not hard to fit,turn your engine till you are on TDC with no1 cylinder,make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 plug lead on the cap and as near as possible to the notch on the distributor body.
Make sure the 10mm clamp screw is tight and unbolt the distributor bracket from the crankcase (13mm nut) and pull it out of the block,if you have indexed the "0" on the fan it will only go back in to the correct spot if you don't turn the engine in between.
Fit the new unit after removing your old points then refit the distributor back in the block and refit clamp nut,you may need to reset your timing if you have a timing light.
Good luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:08 PM