Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door lock help, Doesn't work 100%
screenguy914
post Dec 5 2019, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,540
Region Association: Southern California

Need assistance with my passenger door before I tear into the door.

Able to lock/unlock from the inside and outside with the key
Interior and exterior door release handles operate

However, when locking with the key, it rotates only about 10 degrees, then stops. I should be satisfied, but I fear it might get worse.

Is this an issue with the key tumbler or with the exterior door handle mechanism?

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 5 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Every tumbler I have taken apart is gummed up. Actually, every latch, lock, pull, winder, cable, etc is gummed up on these cars after 50 years. The best thing to do is clean and lube each part with a dry lube. 2nd best is to just lube it as a temporary measure until you can clean and lube properly.

The harder it is to operate, the more wear and tear you put on the parts.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 5 2019, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Take the door card off and you'll be able to watch the lock mechanism move with a flash light. Mark mentioned the old grease in the switch but every part of the door latch mechanism need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. There're write ups here detailing the procedure, IIRC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Dec 5 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,540

Thanks all for the direction.

Regards
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 5 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Just did this on the passenger side for a broken cam, a bit of a PITA if you have big mitts, but a fairly straight forward job.
I just did my passenger side, now it's obvious the left side needs doing as well. I found a better handle but I had to drill out the rivet and tap for an M6 bolt and swap the lockset. This handle already had a good original cam so I left it in and cleaned and lubed the rest. If you pull the lockset just take care that you don't let the wafers fall out. The lock mechanism does come out without removing other stuff, I had to turn it 180 around the window track, but it did sneak out. The old grease had mixed with dirt that turned it into cement.
Now it works and locks excellent and I don't have to worry about locking myself out.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 5 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 5 2019, 08:58 PM) *

Just did this on the passenger side for a broken cam, a bit of a PITA if you have big mitts, but a fairly straight forward job.
I just did my passenger side, now it's obvious the left side needs doing as well. I found a better handle but I had to drill out the rivet and tap for an M6 bolt and swap the lockset. This handle already had a good original cam so I left it in and cleaned and lubed the rest. If you pull the lockset just take care that you don't let the wafers fall out. The lock mechanism does come out without removing other stuff, I had to turn it 180 around the window track, but it did sneak out. The old grease had mixed with dirt that turned it into cement.
Now it works and locks excellent and I don't have to worry about locking myself out.

The wafers will stay in if you keep a key in the lock. Doesn’t even have to be the correct key, any Porsche key should work.
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Dec 5 2019, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2019, 02:58 PM) *

Every tumbler I have taken apart is gummed up. Actually, every latch, lock, pull, winder, cable, etc is gummed up on these cars after 50 years. The best thing to do is clean and lube each part with a dry lube. 2nd best is to just lube it as a temporary measure until you can clean and lube properly.

The harder it is to operate, the more wear and tear you put on the parts.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2019, 06:09 PM) *

The wafers will stay in if you keep a key in the lock. Doesn’t even have to be the correct key, any Porsche key should work.

Agreed! And correct!
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 7 2019, 09:13 AM
Post #8

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2019, 08:09 PM) *

I have a 2000 Chevy Astro van. Yesterday l accidentally inserted my 914 ignition key in the van. It slipped in perfectly, but, of course, wouldn't turn. I thought what the hell, till l figured out i had the wrong key. After comparing the two keys, l found out they are almost identical. Going to see if l can rekey a lock cylinder to the Chevy key.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 7 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

my immediate call would be to clean the catching mechanism they get dirty and disallow the key from turning far enough to unlock or lock the door. Eventually the end of the lock cylinder breaks off from too much force exerted. Read all about it in the 914 "Tech Tips 700"
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Dec 5 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Need assistance with my passenger door before I tear into the door.

Able to lock/unlock from the inside and outside with the key
Interior and exterior door release handles operate

However, when locking with the key, it rotates only about 10 degrees, then stops. I should be satisfied, but I fear it might get worse.

Is this an issue with the key tumbler or with the exterior door handle mechanism?

Thanks

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:35 AM