Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OEM Windshield Glass, OEM vs. Aftermarket replacement
Str1974
post Jan 17 2020, 01:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,820
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hi Guys, another question that you guys might answer for me. I have a cracked windshield and need replacing. Hagerty Insurance says they will replace OEM if that is what I had in my car previously, and aftermarket if that is what I had. I'm not the original owner (have had it 1.5 yrs.). Attached Image

When I run a google search for Laminted F Kinonglas-Kristall-FIRA/F-HI, nothing pops up. It has a VW stamp on it and still no search results. Have seen pics of same with Audi/VW emblem, but none with only VW. Is this OEM for the 1974 Porsche 914 and where could I get that replacement? Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 17 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Local Porsche dealer can get it for you. Usually around $475.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 17 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Original Factory Glass not aftermarkert.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 17 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Str1974 @ Jan 17 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Hi Guys, another question that you guys might answer for me. I have a cracked windshield and need replacing. Hagerty Insurance says they will replace OEM if that is what I had in my car previously, and aftermarket if that is what I had. I'm not the original owner (have had it 1.5 yrs.). Attached Image

When I run a google search for Laminted F Kinonglas-Kristall-FIRA/F-HI, nothing pops up. It has a VW stamp on it and still no search results. Have seen pics of same with Audi/VW emblem, but none with only VW. Is this OEM for the 1974 Porsche 914 and where could I get that replacement? Thanks

Send your Insurer that photo with the VW emblem, & some notes that the 914 was built by VW at their VW Karmann Plant in Osnabruck (now again owned by VW/Audi) & that Porsche & VW marketed the 914 as VW-Porsche 914 (maybe a pic of that badge), & that this was one of their Euro OEM suppliers of glass - along with Sigla, Sekurit, etc. which are the current OEM suppliers.

Look on your original window sticker (Mulroney label) or Porsche COA to see if it was originally optioned with the tinted or clear windshield, then have your shop order from the Porsche dealer (as Mark said above) or ProSource Glass (see member vendor topic on here of theirs). Have it ordered & by & shipped to the installer, so that they're responsible for any damage to that expensive part.

You should probably also order new setting blocks &/or the full windshield trim kit from Porsche too, since the old stuff probably won't come off cleanly at this late date. Hopefully insurance will cover that too if the installing dealer, body shop or glass installer will confirm that it won't come off cleanly - &/or that they'll also need the new setting blocks set & butyl setting tape.

Also - this should be in the Garage Forum for better coverage, if one of the Admins can move it for him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 22 2020, 05:04 AM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Also use caution in you selection of an installer. Our windshields are installed with butall tape not urothane. Most all glass installers will use urothane. To remove the trim slide a razor blade between the trim and the frame and cut the plastic retaining clips. Do not use a conventional trim removal hook tool. The windshield trim will bend and be ruined.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:08 AM