Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> big shipment from Dansk just arrived, our once every two month deal
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 20 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

We just received a giant shipment from Dansk so have tremendous prices on 914 mufflers, fuel tanks, heat exchangers, body sheetmetal and other trim parts.

Deals are great on these things before they are put into inventoryAttached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Feb 20 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #2

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

On the Dansk fuel tank I just checked on your site and they appear to be at the same price. How can I get the discount? I’ll buy now at the pre inventory stocking you mentioned. Thanks
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 20 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

now they are 199.00 before we put them up. We actually had to send and early and a late to dansk to have them get the bracketing perfect an now it is, so we have an early one and a late one

QUOTE(wes @ Feb 20 2020, 03:12 PM) *

On the Dansk fuel tank I just checked on your site and they appear to be at the same price. How can I get the discount? I’ll buy now at the pre inventory stocking you mentioned. Thanks

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 20 2020, 07:28 PM
Post #4

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Whats a new set of stainless heat exchangers going for these days?

Zach
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 21 2020, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

850 per side (why would anyone buy a single?) + shipping and any handling fees. It would be simpler if the price was stated in the ad, er...announcement.
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 21 2020, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Put me down for a late for the DP project. Pulled the tank yesterday.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 21 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 20 2020, 06:28 PM) *

Zach

1500 zach if purchased now for the set.

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 21 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

I am just taking stuff out of the packaging and sending it hence the spot prices. Soon as it is stocked or someone buys on line will be the regular price.

Anyone who wants anything just call me today and I wills send the "stuff" out. I will just mark the dansk stuff up for our immediate costs today and make the best deal I can. We all know each other so a personal call is great and I like to talk to everyone

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2020, 08:47 AM) *

850 per side (why would anyone buy a single?) + shipping and any handling fees. It would be simpler if the price was stated in the ad, er...announcement.

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 21 2020, 10:00 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

and I used to say that 914 fuel tanks never went bad and we had hundreds!!!! (same thing I used to say about 914 fuel pumps!!!)

QUOTE(cary @ Feb 21 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Put me down for a late for the DP project. Pulled the tank yesterday.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Feb 24 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #10

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Am I too late to get a deal on a late gas tank???
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Feb 24 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,639

Sounds like a good deal on the tanks. I paid more than that to have mine professionally cleaned and sealed.

What years are the two tank models for. I have a 1974 built in late 73.

Thx
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 25 2020, 12:13 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 20 2020, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2020, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 21 2020, 07:56 AM) *

Trying to understand why Dansk's stainless steel 914-4 heat exchangers can be had for $1500 a set while Dansk's mild steel 914-6 heat exchangers are $3500... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I get that there's an extra pipe and flange per side, but…
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Feb 25 2020, 07:50 AM
Post #13

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Feb 25 2020, 09:49 AM
Post #14

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) What do you think?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 25 2020, 10:13 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

according to John Daniels, he never made the six heat exchangers while he was in business because of the complicated bend in them, took very special and expensive tooling. I know that Dansk spent a lot of time with the tooling, and then the first ones they made did not even fit properly!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 24 2020, 11:13 PM) *

Trying to understand why Dansk's stainless steel 914-4 heat exchangers can be had for $1500 a set while Dansk's mild steel 914-6 heat exchangers are $3500... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 25 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Joe you are good, I will hold one for you

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Feb 25 2020, 08:49 AM) *

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) What do you think?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 25 2020, 10:17 AM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 25 2020, 01:13 AM) *

I'm guessing Dansk bought all the dies from the prior owner for the fours but had to make new dies for the six. Or maybe they figure that's what each owner 4 vs 6 will pay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 25 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 25 2020, 08:13 AM) *

according to John Daniels, he never made the six heat exchangers while he was in business because of the complicated bend in them, took very special and expensive tooling. I know that Dansk spent a lot of time with the tooling, and then the first ones they made did not even fit properly!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not far off from what I heard. John Daniels' shop was right around the corner from Excellence back in the day, and I visited several times. I remember Brad Roberts later went to work for him, and mentioned that John had the /6 heat exchangers ready to go but never offered them for two reasons he couldn't get them to be quite equal length (which would fit with his perfectionist bent). Tragic as that is, given the unmatched quality of SSI's products (had them on my 914-4 as well as my 911 SC), I suspect John also looked at the production numbers of the 914 and had a tough time justifying the tooling. That's understandable when you compare 914-4 and air-cooled 911 production to 914-6 production—though time has probably greatly increased the population of six-cylinder 914s.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2020, 08:17 AM) *

I'm guessing Dansk bought all the dies from the prior owner for the fours but had to make new dies for the six. Or maybe they figure that's what each owner 4 vs 6 will pay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You might be right, but Dansk's pricing is difficult to justify as a result of this thread—it really brings light to the disparity between Dansk's offerings to -4 owners and -6 owners. The price of Ben's beautiful, handmade stainless 914-6 heat exchangers and the price of high-quality -6 headers in mild steel from MSDS providing additional markers alongside Dansk's -4 and -6 price points.

George made a nice offer to someone, allowing $1500 for a pair of stainless 914-4 HEs before he puts them away, a $300 discount. The fact that he can do that, and still make enough profit to make him happy, says a great deal. As much as I like the appearance of Dansk's 914-6 heat exchangers, Ben and Marty are offering superior value—and both are made in the USA. It also seems like MSDS Inc is in a position to offer its headers not only with optional coatings that will increase their lifespan but perhaps optional heat too? Even if they were smaller or "lightweight" heater boxes, they would be pretty appealing—as I've been on the fence about heat exchangers for several years now.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 25 2020, 02:24 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

marty's headers are certainly superior in flow to the fatory heat exchangers, I have a set on my 9142430257 with a 3.0 in it, but Marty does not make heat exchangers.

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 25 2020, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 25 2020, 08:13 AM) *

That's not far off from what I heard. John Daniels' shop was right around the corner from Excellence back in the day, and I visited several times. I remember Brad Roberts later went to work for him, and mentioned that John had the /6 heat exchangers ready to go but never offered them for two reasons he couldn't get them to be quite equal length (which would fit with his perfectionist bent). Tragic as that is, given the unmatched quality of SSI's products (had them on my 914-4 as well as my 911 SC), I suspect John also looked at the production numbers of the 914 and had a tough time justifying the tooling. That's understandable when you compare 914-4 and air-cooled 911 production to 914-6 production—though time has probably greatly increased the population of six-cylinder 914s.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2020, 08:17 AM) *

You might be right, but Dansk's pricing is difficult to justify as a result of this thread—it really brings light to the disparity between Dansk's offerings to -4 owners and -6 owners. The price of Ben's beautiful, handmade stainless 914-6 heat exchangers and the price of high-quality -6 headers in mild steel from MSDS providing additional markers alongside Dansk's -4 and -6 price points.

George made a nice offer to someone, allowing $1500 for a pair of stainless 914-4 HEs before he puts them away, a $300 discount. The fact that he can do that, and still make enough profit to make him happy, says a great deal. As much as I like the appearance of Dansk's 914-6 heat exchangers, Ben and Marty are offering superior value—and both are made in the USA. It also seems like MSDS Inc is in a position to offer its headers not only with optional coatings that will increase their lifespan but perhaps optional heat too? Even if they were smaller or "lightweight" heater boxes, they would be pretty appealing—as I've been on the fence about heat exchangers for several years now.

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 25 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 25 2020, 12:24 PM) *

marty's headers are certainly superior in flow to the fatory heat exchangers, I have a set on my 9142430257 with a 3.0 in it, but Marty does not make heat exchangers.

Good to know on the flow—thank you! Is it true that the SSI heater boxes are crimped on or spot-welded around the edges? If so, one begins to wonder how hard it would be to add heater boxes that could be crimped onto MSDS headers...which I've had my eye on for a while now.

That would provide an attractive option for those of us who like the factory look of Dansk's HEs, but simply don't need "original" looking HEs on our six conversions at that price point. If I lived someplace where it mattered or planned to use my 914 daily again, I'd be all over Ben's stainless HEs. But I just haven't been able to get over the $2500-3500+ hump to add heat to a car I rarely use.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:48 AM