Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How bad is it?
Ace Le Count
post Feb 23 2020, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Looking for 4712908713

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,910
Region Association: None

I found this '71 914 for $2,500. It runs but has some issues with the linkage between the engine and the transmission. It's still using the efi system. It also has rust cancer in the rear trunk. Is that a big deal? I haven't gone to see it because I need all the help I can get. It has 4-lug fuchs and the interior is pretty nice. Any suggestions? Is $2,500 a good price? Roughly how much would it cost to repair? I'm not worried about cosmetic rust, I just don't want something that will fold in half on it's maiden voyage. What would you pay for it? Oh, and one more thing... it doesn't have the original engine. Thanks everyone!!!Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Feb 23 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,985

It’s hard to tell, but I’m inclined to say the rust looks significant, the price seems high unless there’s something special about this car.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 23 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nothing that $15-20K of rust repair wont fix.
But seriously, it's a rusty car. You need to look at the longs, under the rocker covers, near the jack receiver and the inner rear passenger suspension console. Both areas can be seen if you lay on the ground and with a bright light, look behind the rocker panel and look from the front of the rear passenger wheel up at the console that holds the rear suspension arm pivot. The rusty windshield cowl aea is also a big issue since the fenders are welded on.
These cars tend to rust from the inside out and from the bottom up. Paint doesn't rust so just because it looks good from 10 feet away doesn't mean a thing.

Good luck
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ace Le Count
post Feb 24 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Looking for 4712908713

Member No.: 21,910

What would you pay for it?
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Feb 24 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How much you pay for this car almost does not matter (unless you buy it to part out and sell the components).

Whether the rust is moderate or major, if you pay a decent shop to do the work, and then paint, it will cost you more than the car could possibly be worth.

If you do it all yourself, and do not put a cash value on your labor, you can probably stay within the ultimate car value, but will still spend more than the original purchase price on parts and materials.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 24 2020, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

You need to go to the Porsche event this Sunday at the Phoenix club in Anaheim. Starts at 8am. You will meet a lot of 914 owners and see more 914s then you have seen in a lifetime and most of all it will be educational.

Trust me it’s worth your time and will save you from making a bad buying decision.
+Quote Post
second wind
post Feb 24 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

No offense intended, but are you all out of your mind? Buy it!! A running 914 for $2,500 is unheard of these days. Buy it....take it home....put in a garage if possible....maybe work on it a little to clean up easy stuff...worth more in a few days. If longs are shot then forget it but otherwise a bargain. Maybe not to bring all the way back but if I had $2,500 I would buy it....do my best to clean up....and sell for more in a few days. I don't think you can get hurt at $2,500 unless it is bending in the middle. If you want to restore then $2,500 is a great entry price these days. My two cents.
gg
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 25 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #8

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Ace Le Count @ Feb 24 2020, 08:51 PM) *

What would you pay for it?

Sorry to ask a question on a question, but are you familiar with welding? Do you want a project car? That is one that will be worked on for a year or so?

914 beauty is skin deep. The rust lies under the battery tray (hell hole) and under the side rockers. See if you can get a picture or 2 with the rocker panels removed. Present owner may not want to do this.

Another question for you: Do you want a project car (ie., not driving but tearing it apart for 6 months to years) or do you want a car you can drive?

The problem with a rusty 914 as mepstein said is you'll be putting a bunch of money into replacement panels and welding. If you can weld and want to then project might be rewarding.

Always buy the most car you can afford. That said, it might be easier for the Wife to buy a low budget 914 and put money into it as time goes on instead of shelling out $10k-$15k for turn-key 914.

Good luck.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:27 AM