Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> While you're stuck at home…, 000 back issues on sale—no GB required
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 7 2020, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

With so many events canceled—and so many of us suddenly stuck at home with time to spare—we've decided to discount 000 back issues for the first time ever.

It's a small way we can make staying indoors a bit more pleasurable for Porsche people—providing a getaway from endless hyperlinks and drop-down notifications. Which is precisely what 000 was designed to be: a luxurious reading experience and an alternative to a night out, a concert, or a car event you just can't get to when life intervenes.

And 000 is meant to be an experience: Each issue has 260 pages, weighs about three pounds, comes in a box, and contains no more than 5-7% advertising—meaning at least 242-247 of 260 pages are pure Porsche content. In them, you'll find deep dives, long drives, new research, unpublished documents, untold stories, old stories we only thought we knew, and elements of Porsche cars and Porsche stories placed under a microscope.

000 isn't for everyone, nor was it designed to be. But if you want to know Porsche better, and to understand the real minds behind that hood crest, you might just love 000.

Available back issues* can be found here: https://www.000magazine.com/store

We'll get through this. In the meantime, take care of what's important, take care of yourself so you can do so, and I'll see you on the other side.

Best,

pete

If you're unfamiliar with 000, a couple of third-party reviews can be found below:
https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/000-magazine/
http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/02/...ne-pete-stout/

*If I was were to recommend a back issue for those on this forum, it might be Issue 008 or 012. In 008, there's a 44-page, long-form story on the birth of the "R-car" in the form of a repurposed 914-6 GT in support of Herbert Linge's vision for safety cars that could get to racing crashes sooner, when every second mattered. Yes, the program that saved Lauda and so many more can be traced back to Porsche, and a Porsche. And, in many ways, it's a program that's still ahead of its time—particularly at the club level. Other elements of the issue include a deep dive into an "NOS" 944 Turbo built by Fabcar, unbagged and rolled into a studio for an extensive shoot backed up by a 50-page, long-form read on an "NOS" Fabcar 944 Turbo penned by Tom M'Guinness and shot in studio by TJ Grewal—which is backed up by an appendix with hand drawings from a master builder, parts lists, archival images, Fabcar's and Holbert's equipment list for a test at Road Atlanta, large-scale scans of PMNA's feedback from EFR's win at Brainerd as sent to Jürgen Barth and Peter Falk in Weissach-Flacht, engine failure analysis, wiring diagrams, and more. There's also a peek inside of the Bosch Motronic boxes that manage so many of our cars, a long-form study of Hoffman v von Neumann—literally, the birth of Porsche in the U.S.—an examination and explanation of wheel fans, and far more. In Issue 012, there's a story by Lizett Bond on one of the very first 914s delivered in west LA and its 102-year-old original owner along that's part of a broader study of the 914's design and its intersection with midcentury modern architecture—backed up with perspectives from Hans Lapine, Freeman Thomas, and Mark Haddawy…who know their design and Porsches —and happen to be 914 owners—along with large-scale prints of all of the models that led to the eventual production 914. It's the first article I've seen that truly helped me understand why a Porsche that I've been looking at and driving for 30+ years looks the way it does…and so different from the two production Porsche chassis that came before it. There's a lot more in the issue, including a deep dive into Porsche's first Le Mans winner, and far, far more.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bahnzai
post Apr 8 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,509
Region Association: South East States

Pete,
Thanks for providing this easy way for some of us to dip our toe in and enjoy what looks to be a feast, as well as labor of love!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 8 2020, 06:53 AM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I've got every issue.... in perfect condition. Maybe they will be part of my retirement fund? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 8 2020, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Apr 8 2020, 05:29 AM) *

Pete,
Thanks for providing this easy way for some of us to dip our toe in and enjoy what looks to be a feast, as well as labor of love!

You are welcome, and thank you for seeing 000 that way.

I worried about the pricing before we launched, and not just because I'm a 914 guy at heart. But we saw no other way to deliver the content we wanted to deliver...with very few ads. Then a Porsche guy in a "focus group" we talked to, who initially questioned the price and then asked a bunch of hard questions went on to say, "Hmm. You know, I pay more for a night out with my wife—or one front tire for my 997." We're just so used to super cheap car magazines paid for by a ton of ads. Which is fine, and a model that works. On the other end of the scale, a subscription to the WSJ is $40-45 a month. So I stopped thinking about 000's price in car magazine terms and started thinking about it in terms of what others things I enjoy. At that point, the focus returned to delivering value to the reader.

We're still focused on that, and are excited about what's ahead. As we go, we know full well 000 isn't for everyone. It wasn't designed to hit a circulation of 50,000 or 100,000—it was designed to add new information to the landscape that might have been lost within the old models, and to provide enjoyable reading and perspectives on the topic of Porsche in the larger sense. I know the old magazine model inside and out, and there was no way it could support the research we're subsidizing or the way we're presenting it. And what we're doing doesn't make sense for those audiences, either.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 8 2020, 05:53 AM) *

I've got every issue.... in perfect condition. Maybe they will be part of my retirement fund? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Those are worth a pretty penny, given what some of the early issues have gone for on eBay. There's a customer asking us for three sets for his three homes and we can't complete them. I keep telling myself I really should be in the business of reselling 000... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
cali914
post Apr 8 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #5

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Pete Why do I not see a 914 on any of those covers. LOL. Your asking 914 die hards to get 000 but where is our front cover mid-engine revolutionary picture? Just saying hi Pete. Im still waiting until i see a v8 914 on the cover. hahahahahahahaha
+Quote Post
sb914
post Apr 8 2020, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(cali914 @ Apr 8 2020, 09:12 AM) *

Pete Why do I not see a 914 on any of those covers. LOL. Your asking 914 die hards to get 000 but where is our front cover mid-engine revolutionary picture? Just saying

I was wondering the same thing
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 8 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 8 2020, 08:37 AM) *

Those are worth a pretty penny, given what some of the early issues have gone for on eBay. There's a customer asking us for three sets for his three homes and we can't complete them. I keep telling myself I really should be in the business of reselling 000... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Sadly my collection has ended at #12 , however I do have all 13 including issue #000

I almost put mine on ebay for a few hundred dollars for all 13, what stopped me was that I had misplaced a copy and I couldn't find a reference for used copies.

hmmmm, maybe I can trade them for that Boxster 6 speed transmission, or for a ???

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 8 2020, 12:20 PM
Post #8

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 8 2020, 11:37 AM) *

What's a complete set worth....unopened and still in the mailing boxes?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 8 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(cali914 @ Apr 8 2020, 09:12 AM) *

Pete Why do I not see a 914 on any of those covers. LOL. Your asking 914 die hards to get 000 but where is our front cover mid-engine revolutionary picture? Just saying hi Pete. Im still waiting until i see a v8 914 on the cover. hahahahahahahaha

Lol. Leave it to my old PE teacher to give me a hard time!

One very nearly was—the R-car. But the photos didn't make the deadline for the cover, which is weeks earlier than the rest of the book due to its production process. A 914 will be on the cover sooner or later, and we're eyeing one right now in fact, but one thing I've always tried to take care to do is not favor my preferences over what's interesting to a wider audience. With that said, I assigned a ton of 914 content at Excellence and Panorama even if it was balanced with other subjects. We've had a fair bit of 914 content in the first 13 issues, as well. Three feature stories of 25-30 to 50-60 pages each, and they've popped up elsewhere, too.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 8 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 8 2020, 11:20 AM) *
What's a complete set worth....unopened and still in the mailing boxes?

I have no idea, but a copy of Prototyp sold for $860. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

We looked into that as it didn't seem possible, but it looked real. Other NLA issues have gone for less, sometimes a lot less. I suspect part of it is which issues, how many are out there at a given moment, who is looking, etc.
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Apr 8 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,526
Region Association: Southern California

I was thrilled to see the discounted prices as i was missing the latest issues, Thanks for offering them to us!

Im still hoping to see some Carrera GT content.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 8 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(colingreene @ Apr 8 2020, 03:50 PM) *

I was thrilled to see the discounted prices as i was missing the latest issues, Thanks for offering them to us!

Im still hoping to see some Carrera GT content.

You are welcome—and something very special is slated for Issue 014.

And it certainly won't be the last item on that model, as the "914-10" created something of a high-water mark for me 15~ years ago that has yet to be exceeded.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:52 PM