Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Trailer, Track Tire Utility Trailer
dan10101
post Jul 3 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #1

TORQUE-o-holic

Group: Members
Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I felt this deserved it's own thread and not buried in the other thread in case someone else is thinking of doing this. I'm taking the back half of the donor car and making it into a Track Tire Utility Trailer. So many ways to go with this. But my plan is to put the tires out in front in the open air, and box in the whole back half as a utility trailer.

I'm still looking for suggestions as this build is in process.

WWYD!?! (what would you do..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7TqXKUAsbM

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 3 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #2

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Isuue is the empty engine compartment, could you put your tow hoop frame inside the engine compartment, cutaway the firewall and hide the tires/wheels between the sail panels? Not sure if you have enough room for your wide ones...
+Quote Post
914e
post Jul 3 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

What did you do for the trailer hitch?
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Jul 3 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Great Dan

I saw your video earlier today. I recall you're lowering the trunk floor.
I took advantage of below deck space on my P hualer by adding an onboard air compressor system and water tank to rinse off my cars.
Dual 12V batteries too.Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

Keep your videos coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 3 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #5

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 3 2020, 07:46 PM) *

Isuue is the empty engine compartment, could you put your tow hoop frame inside the engine compartment, cutaway the firewall and hide the tires/wheels between the sail panels? Not sure if you have enough room for your wide ones...

I really like that thought. It is really long with this setup. My original thought was to use the engine area to store a large portion of the tires with a little sticking out. Heck I might even still do that, but I would have to limit my tire width a bit. I really want to go with 10" wide all around but that will depend on what wheels I can find.

I think I'm going to gut the trunk area and see how much room I get. The thought is to box in the engine compartment for additional storage, I even though of making doors in the firewall area to make for easier access.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 3 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #6

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(914e @ Jul 3 2020, 08:06 PM) *

What did you do for the trailer hitch?

On the car side it is a custom made rear trans mount, cable shifter management, floor jack spot and of course receiver hitch.

It barely sticks out from behind the bumper, the exhaust sticks out more. But it seems to work.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 3 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #7

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 3 2020, 08:21 PM) *

Great Dan

I saw your video earlier today. I recall you're lowering the trunk floor.
I took advantage of below deck space on my P hualer by adding an onboard air compressor system and water tank to rinse off my cars.
Dual 12V batteries too

Keep your videos coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Oscar

I like that. I was thinking battery, more for weight but also for other uses. But the water holding tank could be nice, Maybe I'll do a mist setup for hot days...

I like the total use of space, I think there will be areas that could be used for this and still have a ton of storage space.

Thanks for watching!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 3 2020, 11:17 PM
Post #8

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I have a back half I am thinking of making a track trailer out of too.

Rear trunk floor is in another car, so taking the whole thing out and extending the cab floor to the bumper and up. Couple bins to hold tool bags & such. Tires might go in front with a hinged cover. Still a ways off so haven't put much thought into it yet really.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 4 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #9

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 3 2020, 10:17 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I have a back half I am thinking of making a track trailer out of too.

Rear trunk floor is in another car, so taking the whole think out and extending the cab floor to the bumper and up. Couple bins to hold tool bags & such. Tires might go in front with a hinged cover. Still a ways off so haven't put much thought into it yet really.

Those are good ideas. I hadn't thought about making a cover for the tires, but it makes sense. Love to see it when your working on it.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 5 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

914 half trailer build thread!

I agree this deserves its own thread as this will be a whole trial and error saga (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 5 2020, 11:52 AM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

Love the onboard compressor idea Oscar! That and maybe an onboard jumper with power/charging spot. Maybe cut a large access panel in the rear quarter in front of the wheel with a piano hinge and mount a thin all in one unit?? Do the same for the other side for a onboard tool box?
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 7 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #12

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 5 2020, 10:49 AM) *

914 half trailer build thread!

I agree this deserves its own thread as this will be a whole trial and error saga (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Trial and error... Yes. too true.
It looks like @infraredcalvin and also my original thought might be the way to go.
After adding 4 tires and wheels to the front, the tongue weight is more than this old body wants to deal with. I think I can move them back at least a foot maybe more. I will loose storage space, but I will just make it work.

The basic problem is the location of the rear tires. They are just too far rearward. So anyone thinking of copying this idea, check back with me in a month or so.

BTW. tongue weight is about 124# and that is with 2 car batteries in the back of the trunk! I can deal with it with a rolling tongue jack, but I'd rather do it right and save my back.

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 7 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

I think you should name it 914/2
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 7 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #14

TORQUE-o-holic

I like it @PanelBilly

Well, I pulled the batteries out of the back and weighed the tongue again. 154# No wonder it felt heavy.

So I got to work on a redesign. The tires will move about 14" closer toward the rear. Any guesses on tongue weight (keeping the long nose still at this point).
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 8 2020, 05:54 AM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

What's the weight of the tires and total distance to the center of the wheels the tires will be at now?

Maths can solve that answer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 11 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #16

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 7 2020, 09:52 AM) *

Trial and error... Yes. too true.
It looks like @infraredcalvin and also my original thought might be the way to go.
After adding 4 tires and wheels to the front, the tongue weight is more than this old body wants to deal with. I think I can move them back at least a foot maybe more. I will loose storage space, but I will just make it work.

The basic problem is the location of the rear tires. They are just too far rearward. So anyone thinking of copying this idea, check back with me in a month or so.

BTW. tongue weight is about 124# and that is with 2 car batteries in the back of the trunk! I can deal with it with a rolling tongue jack, but I'd rather do it right and save my back.

Thanks @infraredcalvin for moving me back in this direction. I was able to trim off enough of the frame to get 4 12" wide tires to fit. And I'll still have plenty of trunk space.

I have a new wish list.
-- DS Tailight lens all red. Or a pair of euro. Cracks ok. (you have to see my duct tape and spray paint lens I'm using to be legal.
-- Rear Bumper, anything I can pound out and paint.
-- Rear Shocks. These are seriously wasted. So anything cheap.

Here's the 2nd video in the trailer series. Well, it will still take me some time to clean it up and do the trunk, but I'll be using it next weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

https://youtu.be/EpONHPNj5eI

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 11 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #17

Distracted Member

Trailer looks good! For the tires I’d lock-them in like the open trailer racks do by sliding a bar though the wheel centers. That way you can keep the side bracket and maybe have them pivot down out of the way so you're not fighting with the taper of the sail panels. I might leave the firewall cause you’ll sill need side to side brace, especially when you cut out the brace in the trunk to lower it. I’d do something like Oscar shows and put battery/compressor in that area, I know it’s still wrong side of the wheels For that much weight, but a separate compartment for that kind of stuff would be cool. Again, to help with weight, try to shorten the tounge. I still think that hoop out front could be in the spot where the tires rest, that’ll put more weight closer to the trailer wheels, and eliminate a cross bar...
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 11 2020, 09:04 PM
Post #18

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 11 2020, 07:22 PM) *

Trailer looks good! For the tires I’d lock-them in like the open trailer racks do by sliding a bar though the wheel centers. That way you can keep the side bracket and maybe have them pivot down out of the way so you're not fighting with the taper of the sail panels. I might leave the firewall cause you’ll sill need side to side brace, especially when you cut out the brace in the trunk to lower it. I’d do something like Oscar shows and put battery/compressor in that area, I know it’s still wrong side of the wheels For that much weight, but a separate compartment for that kind of stuff would be cool. Again, to help with weight, try to shorten the tongue. I still think that hoop out front could be in the spot where the tires rest, that’ll put more weight closer to the trailer wheels, and eliminate a cross bar...

The bar thru the door should work fine, It looks like there is clearance at the door jams. I'm trying to think ahead and make it work for different sized tires and wheels. Like if the next owner runs 15s or 16" wheels. Or if it's for some car that runs 28" tires.

I like the way you think, I want to explore other possibilities like a movable front bar that would accommodate different sizes.

I can add a brace to the trunk area that will support it side to side as well as provide support to the new trunk.

If we shorten the tongue, it will reduce the leverage and increase the tongue weight, But I can maybe pull it back a little and reduce the material that is overkill thick and heavy. I have some smaller tubes that would be strong and lighter.

Lots of ways to go with this. Now I get and idea of what Chris Baker goes thru. Without the OCD... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) This is FUN!

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 11 2020, 11:06 PM
Post #19

Distracted Member

Leverage... duh

But you’ve got it, what bugs me visually is what looks like a lot of heavy stock in the hoop and triangulation bars so far out from the pivot point.

Admiring your work from afar! Keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 11 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #20

TORQUE-o-holic

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 11 2020, 10:06 PM) *

Leverage... duh

But you’ve got it, what bugs me visually is what looks like a lot of heavy stock in the hoop and triangulation bars so far out from the pivot point.

Admiring your work from afar! Keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'm sure there is a better way to use metal to make a tongue. I was using scrap laying around the shop. But, I have lighter crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:22 AM