Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heat shed, what am I missing to cool her down?, *Update - 1st Test Run after cleanup - still HOT
nditiz1
post Jul 5 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Update - pass side tin removed. Signs of leakage.

*Update* - Webers were successful in scooting the teener down the road, but head temps still reached 400, engine drop to follow shortly.

Stock 2.0 Engine
Converted to carbs - (Dual 40 Dells - 60 Idle jet)
Engine tin in place - needs seal on the passenger side
Thermostat - dead/expanded - flaps auto spring to full open
Valves set .006/.008
Timing 28 - New Pertronix SVDA - vac plugged when timed to 28
No AFR setup - want to say rich not lean
New plugs NGK B6ES gapped to .028
*Updated info based on comments*
Oil pressure when hot 40 PSI at 4k - so looks ok
Oil currently in the block unknown - dark lol, but within the min and max marks
Targa was on during test run
Deflection flaps present
Cooling fan has 1 broken fin
CHT gauge is Dakota Digital under cyl#3 spark plug
Engine lid is currently off - is this a major cause for the issues? - found the posts where this is not an issue
Dealer installed AC - Box and grate still in place - is this robbing the cool air from under the car at speed?

Running oil temp 240/250F 85F ambient temp
Head temps in 4th on flat cruising at 65 mph at 4k RPM - *400 and climbing if going up a hill
Head temps in 3rd up and down hills *395, but can hit 400 if I get on it just a little

Compression test was

Cyl #1 - 135
Cyl #2 - 135
Cyl #3 - 130 - CHT temp sensor
Cyl #4 - 135

Assuming the carbs are not lean (went 3 turns out, and now went to 4) what should I check next? I thought maybe I needed a rebuild since the compression numbers cold were around 125 with with a 12 psi gap between 2 of the cylinders, but this warm compression check looks healthy.

The plugs do look a little white, but the last run I did was in the garage with it running at idle and some briefs to 3500 RPM to ensure the timing was correct. I know this is not to preferred method to check plugs as they should be done driving regularly and then shut off the engine and not let it idle to get a true reading. I have a gas tester I can maybe hook up to check the CO2 at the tail pipe (yes, I should have an AFR to get better readings)

In the garage I was running at 350 head temp just at idle ambient temps 82. I know sitting has no air flow. I feel like when I rebuilt my last 2056, I could idle in the garage all day long at 300 or under.

Let's assume the carbs are rich enough in the mixture so as to not be lean, will the engine seals being tattered and 1 missing (most crucial side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) be enough to make even back road driving push cyl 3 head temps to 400 and above?

Plugs - less than 50 miles - maybe not enough time
Cyl 1 and 2
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1593964487.1.jpg)

Cyl 3 and 4
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-18763-1593964488.2.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 5 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #2

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Eliminate simple variables:
Fix thermostat and get flaps in working order - make sure these are not operating backwards.
Fix any missing seals
All fins in tact on your fan?
Deflection flaps underneath body installed?

Don’t assume you’re not running lean, plugs are telling you otherwise if there looking a bit white, what does your tailpipe look like, white or black?

Back off the timing a bit - different engines need to be set individually to where they want to run best

Check your oil, proper weight range for your region? Run 1/2 qt over full.

Why are you cruising at 4K in 4th gear, do you not have a 5th? 4K seems a little high for cruising.

Lastly, an afr setup will eliminate the rich/lean assumptions.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 5 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What oil are you running? What oil pressure do you have hot?
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 5 2020, 11:05 AM
Post #4

Oil pressure hot looks good. I was at 40 PSI running in 4th @4k

Deflection flaps on the bottom are in place
The fan has one broken fin
Tail pipe looks black, smells rich, but not a good determination of correct mixture

Oil is in between marks, I am going to be changing to 20W-50 VR1 so I know what it is running, this is a good spec for Maryland climates

I was cruising in 4th because I knew 5th, even on flat ground was going to net 425*+

I had tested once, before running through these checks/tweaks, and it was headed there if I didn't gear down and ease up on the highway. The short sprint I did just yesterday in 4th was only about 2 miles, some hills, but nothing to extreme. It also doesn't change the fact that I could easily hit 400 on the slower roads 50 mph while running in 4th.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jul 5 2020, 11:06 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,589

Even though you are reporting 28 degrees, it sure sounds like a timing issue, especially when you say it is doing 4,000 RPM in 4th. Do you have a spare (non-vac type) distributor to substitute? If so, install it, set timing, and see what temps and RPMs do. I have a 2.0 with dual-dells and I went through this same thing when I tried a vacuum dizzy. Went back to my 009 and all is well.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 5 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 5 2020, 10:06 AM) *

Even though you are reporting 28 degrees, it sure sounds like a timing issue, especially when you say it is doing 4,000 RPM in 4th. Do you have a spare (non-vac type) distributor to substitute? If so, install it, set timing, and see what temps and RPMs do. I have a 2.0 with dual-dells and I went through this same thing when I tried a vacuum dizzy. Went back to my 009 and all is well.

Ansbacher

@Ansbacher - were you running a pertronix in your 009 or points? I had a 009 with pertronix in the car and just swapped it to SVDA pertronix to help with the 009 flat spot and carbs. The SVDA is supposed to help with the transition smoothing out as it advances the timing with light throttle due to the highest vac pull. I could plug the pod and it should act the same as the 009 with a pertronix in it. I also have another 009 with points I could try.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jul 5 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,589

Nditiz1: Yes I am running a Pertronix in my 009.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 5 2020, 01:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Hello,

In addition to above suggestions/comments:
1. Try to install the passenger side seal missing you mentioned. My experienced before with missing seal or small engine tin piece on passenger made my engine hot around 240F and even to 250F on mountain drive. After installing the missing engine tin piece, temp improved.

2. Missing blade with your fan may cause lesser air flow.

3. I believed the fuel mixer adjustment of 3 or 4 full turns is too
much. check below suggested tuning on carbs. Hope this is same tuning you need for your carb.

https://www.carburetion.com/weber/adjust.htm

+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 5 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 5 2020, 12:32 PM) *

Hello,

In addition to above suggestions/comments:
1. Try to install the passenger side seal missing you mentioned. My experienced before with missing seal or small engine tin piece on passenger made my engine hot around 240F and even to 250F on mountain drive. After installing the missing engine tin piece, temp improved.

2. Missing blade with your fan may cause lesser air flow.

3. I believed the fuel mixer adjustment of 3 or 4 full turns is too
much. check below suggested tuning on carbs. Hope this is same tuning you need for your carb.

https://www.carburetion.com/weber/adjust.htm

I will definitely try to squeeze it in, as well as try to tape up the remaining ones. Just trying to see if the engine temps can be managed or the engine needs to be dropped (looking like it will need to to at least replace the fan)
* This leads back to the main question * Do the rubber seals make then engine run that much cooler? I'd understand if I was running at 380 - 400 while pushing up a hill, but I'm hitting above 400 on a flat.

I'm sure 3 or 4 is a little much, but not overly much. I wanted to go on the rich side as a test to bring the temps down. I did have them set to the best lean approach, but came up with these high temps.

One thing to note is I'm currently running the engine lid off - is that throwing my numbers high? Debunked
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 5 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Pretty much everything you mentioned is most likely contributing. I would start with getting a non-broken cooling fan as that is an obvious one but after that (what what i suspect is the primary issue) I would look at the tuning (error on the rich side). Also, im curious with carbs where are you pulling the vacuum for your vac advance and/or retard?

Also one thing you didnt mention, how clean are the heads/cylinders under the tin? You mentioned you didnt know the state of the oil which makes me think there may be other unknowns as well (like the heads possibly clogged up with debris, grease, oil etc)

+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 5 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(JamesM @ Jul 5 2020, 01:36 PM) *

Pretty much everything you mentioned is most likely contributing. I would start with getting a non-broken cooling fan as that is an obvious one but after that (what what i suspect is the primary issue) I would look at the tuning (error on the rich side). Also, im curious with carbs where are you pulling the vacuum for your vac advance and/or retard?

Also one thing you didnt mention, how clean are the heads/cylinders under the tin? You mentioned you didnt know the state of the oil which makes me think there may be other unknowns as well (like the heads possibly clogged up with debris, grease, oil etc)

James,

I am pulling vac adv from cyl #4. I set the carbs to being rich as I was first told that timing and carbs being lean were resulting in my overly hot temps.

The bottom of the engine is an oily filthy mess. Pushrod tubes leaking (already ordered new tubes and seals). I'll reset the carbs and try to clean up the cooling fins before the next test hit late tonight.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jul 6 2020, 06:13 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

I'd try to check if your cylinder head temp gauge is reading properly. i tested mine with censor immersed in boiling water to verify calibration.
BTW my similar setup runs MUCH cooler.

barefoot
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 6 2020, 06:59 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I'm going to stir the pot a little here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) 240F to 250F is not too hot for oil. I know there is this mythology that 180F is the sweet spot for oil. Not so. 240F oil is OK but it should just be changed every 3000 miles or so.

Your head temps are hot (assuming gauge is correct). Check calibration as suggested by Barefoot.

Your head temps are hot because you're missing an engine seal. These engine seals are not optional.

Without that seal you're pulling hot air from under the engine right back up into the fan and recirculating that already heated air across the engine and heads. Recall that VW sealed the front fan tin between the two pieces of tin with caulk. This sealing of the tin was done to prevent that crack/gap between the tin from sucking in hot air under the engine. You're missing way more sealing that that! You mention that you may have other "tattered" seals. Fix those too.

The other items mentioned (timing, carb tuning, etc.) are all fine but you've got to replace that seal before you make any further conclusions about your temps.

The other issue you'll have is the A/C. I have yet to see an A/C install that doesn't completely butcher the passenger side engine tin and the associated sealing. It sort of "works" assuming the A/C compressor is there and largely filling the hole opened up by the butchery but even at it's best, the A/C conversion creates a lack of CRITICAL sealing between the bottom of the engine (where the hot air is) and the top side where the cooling fan is supposed to be bringing in COOL air.

FYI - don't sweat the loss of one blade from a cooling fan. It isn't going to affect your temperature in any meaninful way.

To address your quote "In the garage I was running at 350 head temp just at idle ambient temps 82. I know sitting has no air flow. I feel like when I rebuilt my last 2056, I could idle in the garage all day long at 300 or under."

You are right -- 350 is too hot for just idling.

You are incorrect in stating that there is no air flow. There is plenty of airflow coming from the cooling fan at idle to keep the engine cool at idle but again that assumes a proper state of tune and most importantly that the engine seals are in place and that the hot air under the engine isn't able to rise up from convection and re-enter the engine compartment.

With respect to cylinder 3&4 those plugs look too lean. That surely isn't helping. Make sure that you don't have air leaks. Sometimes you need to double up on gaskets between the cylinder head and the carb manifolds to get a good seal.

Did you use head gaskets with the rebuild? Hopefully no. Even if you didn't use gaskets - are you sure your heads are seated properly and not leaking? A leak at the head can cause a lean condition.

Make sure the carb jets are clean on cylinder 3&4 side. Measure the idle jets with a wire size #drill bit if necessary to ensure size is the same on 1/2 side and 3/4 side. Both Dell's and Webers run on the idle jet and progression circuit way more than you might think they do before tranistioning to the main jet circuit.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Jul 6 2020, 07:07 AM
Post #14

Thanks barefoot. I will test it. Are you also running a stock 2.0? I do have an additional Dakota Digital CHT gauge and sensor.

I did another test run last night.
Numbers were better, but ambient temps were 75 so 15 degrees less. There was still an issue running on flat ground in 5th. If I was on a slight downward slope I could feather in 5th to keep it around 398. My speed would also go down since I could definitely not maintain 70 mph in 5th and keep the heads cool. I temporarily used some duct tape to close up any gaps just as a test run. Not sure it helped much. I also reset the mixture screws to 1/2 to 3/4 turns out from just dropping idle RPM. Dellorto book specifies 1/2 turn. I could try to time it down 1 degree to 27 from 28. Oil pressure at 2700 RPM was right around 30psi. At Idle when fully warmed 1k RPM - 10PSI. Even when head temps were hitting the 400 - 410 the pressure stayed good.

Looking more like I need to drop the engine to completely seal up and replace the fan. I might do the pushrod tubes and seals since I'll have it out.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2020, 07:33 AM
Post #15

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

Fuel mixture adjuster. I'll presume you're referring to the IDLE AIR MIXTURE SCREWS. There is no absolute "correct setting". Initial common baseline setting for installing the carbs and adjusted accordingly later. So no '3 or 4 turns and good'. They control the a/f ratio at IDLE. You are off the idle circuitry when cruising around at 4K. So, using the IAMS expecting to control the head temps while driving is futile.

No mention of the last or ever cleaning of the oil cooler, of the exterior of the cylinders or engine in general. Fix the cooling vane thermostat. All systems should be in place and functional.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 6 2020, 07:35 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

If you sealed completely with duct tape and are still running hot. Drop the engine and figure out why its running hot and why Cyl 3/4 are running so lean.

As stated above, make sure oil cooler is clean and doesn't have a mouse house on it.

If you are starting with an engine of unknown origin don't assume there aren't blockages of the cooling fins or oil cooler.

Here is the oil cooler from one of my engines as I initially received it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #17

Also, how have you set the air bypass screws?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 6 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #18

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

This sounds really familiar! In fact I had almost the exact same issues while I was running carbs. Had to cruise on the highway in 4th, never touch 5th or it goes right over 400*.

Pull off the tins and make sure you don't ave mouse nests blocking your cooling vanes. You can do this with the engine in your car (BTDT) but its a pain. Since your car had carbs its pretty easy to just drop the engine.

My issue I figured out after I pulled the carbs and sold them out of frustration. The top gaskets I had bought were defective out of the box. There had been a bad manufacturing run where the top gaskets did not have holes punched for the jets and the engine was always running lean at speed no matter what jetting I put in the mains. It is probably worth rebuilding the carbs and making sure everything is up to snuff.

One more thing I will add, the "Factory" AC really ruins the pass side tins. If you have working AC, its probably worth it now that its hot and humid here in the MidA. BUT if yo don't have working AC, pull that crap out and sell it. Get a set of tins that have not been mangled and it will help considerably.

Zach
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2020, 08:18 AM
Post #19

And usually the huge piece removed from the pass side engine shelve to accomidate the comp.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 6 2020, 08:19 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 6 2020, 10:09 AM) *

One more thing I will add, the "Factory" AC really ruins the pass side tins. If you have working AC, its probably worth it now that its hot and humid here in the MidA. BUT if yo don't have working AC, pull that crap out and sell it. Get a set of tins that have not been mangled and it will help considerably.

Zach

If you decide to pull the A/C and cant find 2.0L passenger side tin at a reasonable cost, I can fix your butchered existing 2.0L tin. Did this a few months back for another member.

Starting condition
Attached Image

Finished repair
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:04 AM