Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> P.O. Accident Damage to Front Trunk, Course of Action?
Nojoah
post Aug 8 2020, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,234
Region Association: Canada

Hey guys,

I have been assessing the situation with the front trunk of the car recently and I have managed to grind through all the old bondo, bedliner and crap that was covering the majority of the damage to the front pan. Clearly it was brazed in after an accident along with new replacement panels from porsche in their typical red primer. The pan is pretty banged up but the car is surprisingly straight and the hood gaps, bumper gaps and headlight buckets all seem to be where they should be. My question is though - what should my course of action be to repair this in the future? Would the replacement RD front pan suffice or should I dig deeper into the body? Understand that as a student I am by no means looking for a concourse front trunk just something more original and as it should be - this bothers my OCD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Side note - this was damage from the first owner shortly after he bought the car new in the 70's so if it's lasted this long, its solid at least.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jett
post Aug 8 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Needs a re-placement panel, but coving it up will only increase the OCD pain. Looks like a fairly confined fix.
+Quote Post
9146C
post Aug 8 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

Yes, RD makes excellent replacement parts/panels (and they're in your backyard!). This wouldn't be a terrible fix.

However, I do think to myself what is the end game for your car? (Repairs add up very quickly once you start...especially if you bought your vehicle to be a "driver".)

If this is a lifelong Ontario car, I'd be looking in other places (for major structural issues) before trying to address "cosmetic" damage.

Forgive me...I'm not trying to be cynical...only you can answer if you want to build a "show" car or a solid driver...the current repair has lasted 45-50 years.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 8 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm no expert on this but I've seen a lot of damaged 914's and I have a tough time believing the front suspension mounting points weren't involved in the damage and "repair". What does it look like under the car and have you checked to make sure everything is straight and true? Including the struts, crossmember and A arms?

My uneducated opinion, (because I'm not in front of your car), is you have a much bigger project on your hands than just a front pan.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 8 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=346446&hl=

If the 914 in the above link is the patient , Its worthy of a new pan..I think
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 8 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2020, 02:06 PM) *

I'm no expert on this but I've seen a lot of damaged 914's and I have a tough time believing the front suspension mounting points weren't involved in the damage and "repair". What does it look like under the car and have you checked to make sure everything is straight and true? Including the struts, crossmember and A arms?

My uneducated opinion, (because I'm not in front of your car), is you have a much bigger project on your hands than just a front pan.

To Mark’s point does it drive straight without needing any funky alignment set up?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 8 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2020, 01:06 PM) *

I agree with Mark (half way anyway). The crinkling in the pan has to have affected the geometry. However, it looks like the damage is only in the front which means the crinkles would be pulling the front torsion mounts closer together than they should be. I just peeked under mine and it looks like that would pull the ball joints forward. That would be addressed with a proper full pan replacement which would put those mounts back where they should be. As has been said, it is not that difficult of a job... assuming the suspension frame wasn't bent. I tend to doubt it is bent. Seems like the rear A-arm bushings are probably taking the pressure and saved the cross member. I'd plan on changing those bushings while you are at it and, of course, verify none of the suspension bits are bent.

Maybe a little bigger project than a pan replacement, but not that much bigger.
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 8 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the input guys. This likely will be a car I will keep. I've done a little more investigating and certainly more work would be required than just the pan. It appears that the fender wells are also pretty beat up but are original (lots of bondo). I would say the original owner probably rear-ended someone and hit decently hard. The repair seems to have been done "somewhat" well given the fact that it does indeed drive very straight and no weird alignment is needed. To bring it back to factory I'd say a front clip would probably make more sense. The rest of the car is extremely solid and in pretty good shape as seen in my other post so for the time being I'll strip the front trunk down and re-paint as it is. If it's lasted 40 years I'd say at least for a few more years it'll be fine. I am hearing a squeak from the front left I believe so I'll make sure to check out all the bushings as suggested.
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 8 2020, 08:48 PM
Post #9

whoops. Double post
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 8 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(9146C @ Aug 8 2020, 02:58 PM) *

Yes, RD makes excellent replacement parts/panels (and they're in your backyard!). This wouldn't be a terrible fix.

However, I do think to myself what is the end game for your car? (Repairs add up very quickly once you start...especially if you bought your vehicle to be a "driver".)

If this is a lifelong Ontario car, I'd be looking in other places (for major structural issues) before trying to address "cosmetic" damage.

Forgive me...I'm not trying to be cynical...only you can answer if you want to build a "show" car or a solid driver...the current repair has lasted 45-50 years.

Very true. You make a good point - drive the car as it is, worry about the cosmetics later.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 8 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

I see 3 "sensible" options:

1. Work on straightening the floor pan and other panels, and live with the results (at least for now).

2. Surgically remove the floor pan and use a new replacement as a guide to straightening the inner fenders and other pieces that attach.

3. Replace the front clip.

I would not recommend detaching all the various pieces (outer fenders, inner braces, inner fenders, front panel, floor pan) unless you want to enjoy many extra hours in the garage.
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 8 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 8 2020, 11:28 PM) *

I see 3 "sensible" options:

1. Work on straightening the floor pan and other panels, and live with the results (at least for now).

2. Surgically remove the floor pan and use a new replacement as a guide to straightening the inner fenders and other pieces that attach.

3. Replace the front clip.

I would not recommend detaching all the various pieces (outer fenders, inner braces, inner fenders, front panel, floor pan) unless you want to enjoy many extra hours in the garage.

I appreciate the suggestion. I think option 1 will do for now and option 2 will be a job in the future.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 9 2020, 06:02 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Well, if it drives straight and is usable why not just leave it then? If the inner fenders are wavy not sure what replacing the trunk floor alone really gets you...
+Quote Post
cary
post Aug 9 2020, 08:30 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Most likely the a-arm mounts have moved.
Frame bench to pull them back. Then new RD P337 pan.
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 9 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #15

After a little more investigation clearly the A-arm mount is not perfectly aligned but for the next little while I believe this should be fine and safe to drive? (see pic) Driver side is fine. The fender well is not terrible - a little crinkly though. Sorry I forgot to take some pics before I quickly sprayed some primer. Most of the wrinkles are from bondo that I haven't cleaned out yet. The plan will be to strip the full front trunk down and at least respray in body colour for the next little while. It appears that to fix the majority of the damage a new front pan will suffice with new A-arm mounts and new reinforcements on the inside corners of then pan (can't think of the name).

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 9 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 8 2020, 09:28 PM) *

I like this option. Once you get all the bondo off the wheel wells and they are detached from the trunk pan, they should hammer and dolly out nicely.

If you have a good alignment on the car, I wouldn't worry about driving it. However, I still think the A-arm bushings are taking the brunt of whatever is tweaked. That could cause those bushings to wear faster which will make the suspension more sloppy and can lead to wear and pitting on the torsion bars. This is all speculation of course but given that replacing the pan isn't terribly difficult, I'd try to make it a winter project if it were mine. You can probably knock it out in a few weekends.
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 9 2020, 03:47 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 9 2020, 05:22 PM) *

I like this option. Once you get all the bondo off the wheel wells and they are detached from the trunk pan, they should hammer and dolly out nicely.

If you have a good alignment on the car, I wouldn't worry about driving it. However, I still think the A-arm bushings are taking the brunt of whatever is tweaked. That could cause those bushings to wear faster which will make the suspension more sloppy and can lead to wear and pitting on the torsion bars. This is all speculation of course but given that replacing the pan isn't terribly difficult, I'd try to make it a winter project if it were mine. You can probably knock it out in a few weekends.

Thanks brent. I agree that definitely seems like the best option for either this winter or next winter. What's the procedure for installing a new pan? Any specific bracing that's required? or can someone direct me to a thread that outlines this? I'm assuming some kind of jig is necessary to keep everything in place and line up the A-arm mounts?
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 9 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

QUOTE(Nojoah @ Aug 9 2020, 03:47 PM) *

Thanks brent. I agree that definitely seems like the best option for either this winter or next winter. What's the procedure for installing a new pan? Any specific bracing that's required? or can someone direct me to a thread that outlines this? I'm assuming some kind of jig is necessary to keep everything in place and line up the A-arm mounts?

I would get the complete replacement pan, and then detach the existing pan along the seams with the inner fender panels, the front panel, and the front bulkhead. Then use the new pan as a guide to straighten everything.

As for the getting the suspension mounts properly placed, short of a chassis jig, I would install new bushings on the A-arms, and then "install" the arms using the cross brace, get them in place by measurement, and then tack weld the front mounts to the new pan.

BTW, this would be much easier--and almost fun--with a rotisserie.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 9 2020, 08:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 9 2020, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Nojoah @ Aug 9 2020, 03:47 PM) *

I would get the complete replacement pan, and then detach the existing pan along the seams with the inner fender panels, the front panel, and the front bulkhead. Then use the new pan as a guide to straighten everything.

As for the getting the suspension mounts properly placed, short of a chassis jig, I would install new bushings on the A-arms, and then "install" the arms using the cross brace, get them in place by measurement, and then tack weld the front mounts to the new pan.

BTW, this would be much easier--and almost fun--with a rotisserie.

A rotisserie makes everything fun! (Mostly)
+Quote Post
Nojoah
post Aug 9 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #20

Thanks for the tips guys! I think this is definitely on the list for a winter project. More pics will come as I dig deeper into the frunk. Thanks!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:44 AM