Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel pump issue, no fuel... help
steuspeed
post Sep 22 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What am I missing? Turn the key and I can hear the fuel pump run then stop. Turn key to start and the engine cranks. Broke the lines in the engine bay. Crank the engine and no fuel comes out the hoses. Blocked line between pump and engine bay?

If I spray some start fluid in the air box the engine fires right up. This is my new project car. Just drove it home last week.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 23 2020, 01:07 AM
Post #2

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

No fuel at all ...mmm...after pump : maybe clogged up fuelfilter. Could also be fuelpump itself ofcourse.
If there is no fuel on the pumpside (before pumpaction) maybe kinked fuel hose under the tank or the filter in the tank is clogged)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Sep 23 2020, 02:15 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 23 2020, 12:07 AM) *

No fuel at all ...mmm...after pump : maybe clogged up fuelfilter. Could also be fuelpump itself ofcourse.
If there is no fuel on the pumpside (before pumpaction) maybe kinked fuel hose under the tank or the filter in the tank is clogged)

There is an old filter down by the fuel pump. That is my next move. Does the pump run until it gets pressure? I'm thinking if it's clogged then the pump runs and stops for that.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 23 2020, 02:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Dumb question but is there fuel in the tank? Shine a flashlight down the filler neck and look for crud around the in/outlets.

When you turn the key the pump primes for 2-3 seconds, I think its on a timed circuit and not pressure regulated.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Sep 23 2020, 02:54 AM
Post #5

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

"Does the pump run until it gets pressure?"
No, I think it runs a few cycles and not untill it gets pressure, because it will also do that with an empty tank...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 23 2020, 03:49 AM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Is the fuel pump wired backwards? It won't make pressure if it is.

I would bet on something clogging the lines. If the car has been sitting a long time, it could be the screen in the tank, or the fuel filter.

+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Sep 23 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Gauge showed about half tank when I drove it home. Yes, the car sat for 11+ years. I'm going to check the lines under the car at the fuel pump today.
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Sep 23 2020, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 23 2020, 09:22 AM) *

Gauge showed about half tank when I drove it home. Yes, the car sat for 11+ years. I'm going to check the lines under the car at the fuel pump today.

Hopefully the tank was prepped before storage, and wasn't full of rust. If it was, particles and chunks might have settled onto the tank strainer or the fuel filter. (That's how my first fuel pump got ruined in my 914 project car.)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Sep 24 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 23 2020, 01:49 AM) *

Dumb question but is there fuel in the tank? Shine a flashlight down the filler neck and look for crud around the in/outlets.

When you turn the key the pump primes for 2-3 seconds, I think its on a timed circuit and not pressure regulated.

Ding ding ding... It was out of gas. It literaly only had fuel in the line and it the old filter. How I made it home is a miracle. It was stumbling the last few blocks. I thought it was vacuum lines since half of them were not connected or wrong. Once I put 1/2 gal of gas in it and got it running, I checked to see what the guage said. Yup, 1/4 tank. Then I tapped on the gauge and it went to zero. Warning light is not working either. Bulb checked out okay. Maybe a half gal won't trip the warning light?
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 24 2020, 10:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 24 2020, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 23 2020, 01:49 AM) *

Ding ding ding... It was out of gas. It literaly only had fuel in the line and it the old filter. How I made it home is a miracle. It was stumbling the last few blocks. I thought it was vacuum linse since half of them were not connected or wrong. Once I put 1/2 gal of gas in it and got it running, I checked to see what the guage said. Yup, 1/4 tank. Then I tapped on the gauge and it went to zero. Warning light is not working either. Bulb checked out okay. Maybe a half gal won't trip the warning light?

A few friends 914 had same issue and I told them to add gas and fixed the problem.
We can’t just trust our gauges since it is around 45 yrs old already.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 26 2020, 04:05 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Glad it worked out, sometimes its indeed the simplest things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:25 PM