Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a thread, Cars not run for 10+ years
jim_hoyland
post Oct 19 2020, 06:26 AM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I've seen the list, but never book marked it: A friend has a 914 that he hasn't started in 10 years. I' looking for the thread that go through the steps of what to do and what not to do.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 19 2020, 08:44 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

First start with all new fuel hose and check all the vacuum hoses for cracks etc. Remove and make sure the tank is clean and inspect the screen.
That's almost a days work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
By the time you finish that job others will have posted all kinds of things to do.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Oct 19 2020, 08:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 19 2020, 05:26 AM) *

I've seen the list, but never book marked it: A friend has a 914 that he hasn't started in 10 years. I' looking for the thread that go through the steps of what to do and what not to do.

With 7,676 post I would think you could offer up this information to him...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

It would be nice to have a write up posted in the Lapuwali Classic Thread
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Oct 19 2020, 09:46 AM
Post #4

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 19 2020, 05:26 AM) *

A lot of us have a car we need to "wake up" and it would be nice to have a checklist of items. The closest I've seen, although I suspect there are better lists out there, is post #43 in this thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...35667&st=40

Waiting to see what other people come up with....
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 19 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Thanks, I was looking for a checklist I could print out for the owner. He's going to take the car in to PCH Garage, but I want to show him a list. Obvious stuff like the fuel tank are things he can do.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Oct 19 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

I bought a 1970 model year 914 that had been sitting in a barn since 1988. We had to replace all fuel hoses and the fuel filter; then replaced all 4 fuel injectors because they started leaking shortly after it started running. Replace thr spark plugs, but before uou indtall the new ones swiirt some ATF into each cylinder snd crank the engine over eith thr new battery you just had to install.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 19 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Brake lines and possible MC.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 19 2020, 05:26 PM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 19 2020, 09:45 AM) *

I bought a 1970 model year 914 that had been sitting in a barn since 1988. We had to replace all fuel hoses and the fuel filter; then replaced all 4 fuel injectors because they started leaking shortly after it started running. Replace thr spark plugs, but before uou indtall the new ones swiirt some ATF into each cylinder snd crank the engine over eith thr new battery you just had to install.

That's good info. I'm going to make up a step by step guide for the owner. Things we take for granted, like removing and cleaning the fuel tank and related parts require detailed "how to" info.
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Oct 20 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #9

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 19 2020, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Oct 19 2020, 09:45 AM) *

That's good info. I'm going to make up a step by step guide for the owner. Things we take for granted, like removing and cleaning the fuel tank and related parts require detailed "how to" info.

I'm bumping this to the top because if Jim is going to be kind enough to put together a list (and hopefully share it) let's see what the collective can add to help make it comprehensive and helpful. I know a lot of people would find this useful. I'll add two random thoughts: check the tires for dry rot and flat spots. Check the date code on the tires and replace even if the look good if they are over 8 years old. I know replacing the fuel lines has already been said, but adding more information about how much and what type of fuel line is needed, etc...
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 20 2020, 04:36 PM
Post #10

Get that VIN ?

Sure. Tires , plus it’s easy and can be done in the driveway.
And for the Fuel related step, I’m adding injector removal a sending them out for cleaning and flow testing
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:59 AM