Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Have I Done, Hello, I'd like to introduce myself
mteovr
post Feb 16 2021, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,115
Region Association: Southern California

Hello 914World -

This is Michael, also known as "That naive guy who bought a Porsche 914 project car to bring back to life while documenting the process on YouTube and HotCars.com."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3nypC_odI&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3nypC_odI

I've been lurking here on 914World for about a month since I bought the pile of parts. Happy to find so much knowledge and camaraderie, you've already provided me with optimism and inspiration in spades.

As you can see from the video and some of my articles, if you feel inclined to take a look, I clearly need professional help. And I mean both mechanically and psychologically, which is why I'm hoping to rely on the similarly afflicted fans of Porsche's maligned mid-engined masterpiece.

All alliteration aside (or not), glad to be here and please stop me if I'm doing something wrong before I hurt myself or others!

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 16 2021, 05:05 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The good news is that you have a hoist. You're also working basically outdoors in sunny CA. Car is reasonably rust free.

Things could be a whole lot worse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Feb 16 2021, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Welcome to 914world. Sorry replied to your youtube and mentioned 914world which you are already registered here.

For sure you will get a lots of help here.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 16 2021, 05:25 PM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) That looks like a pretty nice car to start with. I think I would leave it on the lift and hose that thing down with Simple Green or some other degreaser and then agitate with a brush and spray it down again and then use a power washer to get as much crud as possible off then re-assess the chassis. But overall you seem to be pretty familiar with these cars, save for a couple items.

Definitely make sure the chassis is solid and any rust you may find is addressed before anything else is done. Keep posting pics/videos and people will be glad to make recommendations. No shortage of opinions on this site. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Feb 16 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #5

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

Enjoyed your video. Looks like a good solid car so far.
"WS washer reservoir" is shift linkage cover at firewall.
Horn contact is missing, and the rubber horn spring is perished. Looks like Koni shocks in rear...front shocks leaking...
Lots to do for a very worthy car.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Feb 16 2021, 05:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mteovr @ Feb 16 2021, 02:48 PM) *

Hello 914World -

This is Michael, also known as "That naive guy who bought a Porsche 914 project car to bring back to life while documenting the process on YouTube and HotCars.com."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3nypC_odI&t=27s

I've been lurking here on 914World for about a month since I bought the pile of parts. Happy to find so much knowledge and camaraderie, you've already provided me with optimism and inspiration in spades.

As you can see from the video and some of my articles, if you feel inclined to take a look, I clearly need professional help. And I mean both mechanically and psychologically, which is why I'm hoping to rely on the similarly afflicted fans of Porsche's maligned mid-engined masterpiece.

All alliteration aside (or not), glad to be here and please stop me if I'm doing something wrong before I hurt myself or others!

Thanks

If nobody else told you yet that other motor crossbar is what you need if you go with the sideshift trans. Also a different shift linkage from lever to trans. some of which it looks like came with the newer trans. If you're going to be working under the car on the lift I would pull those drive axles out otherwise you will for sure hit your head on one at some point, ask me how I know. If you are going to roll it around much or tow it anywhere take the stub axles off the ends of the axles and push them through the hubs, without them the wheels are only held on by the wheelbearings. Where in LA are you?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 16 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 16 2021, 06:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Did you shoot that video at Vince's shop in Hesperia ?
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 16 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Great start, gave your video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/14.gif)

Keep up the momentum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

O
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Feb 16 2021, 06:52 PM
Post #10

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Fun video! Subscribed and looking forward to your adventures.

Welcome to the addiction. Seriously. Just wait!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 16 2021, 07:31 PM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

looks like the interior cabin light is one of the most sought after parts on the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) White switch and chrome
Overall a good project car looks like Will enjoy following.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Feb 16 2021, 08:49 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You car looks pretty good. Welcome to the asylum.

Oh, and nice color!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 16 2021, 08:58 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Love the video. You say the car looks rough, I see a dream project car. Nice! A couple things. You need to pull the rocker cover panels off before you can declare victory over any major rust issues but so far it looks really clean. Also, the floor pans are covered with tar mats that can hide rust. You'll need to remove that tar before you know if the floor is truly rust free. Again, looking at the bottom, I think you are in great shape. Finally, those bondo bubbles are little pieces of history. Common body repair practice in the 70s and 80s was to swiss cheese panels full of holes so the bondo would "key" in. It is a nightmare for future rust problems and loads of fun to weld all those holes shut. I lost count how many I welded up on my car.

Looking forward to seeing this progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Feb 16 2021, 09:07 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good solid core car. Form a strategy based on money then break it down by priority and category (looks, performance, etc)
Send all the calipers to PMB, get in touch with 914 Rubber for all the trim and some of the mechanical bits, the trans to Dr. Evil and consider having the engine work done by European Motorworks. For your first one it's best to have the core mechanicals done by a pro and follow along. Then, after you've seen how they work tackle one on your own.
Your biggest engine decision is going to be if you stick with the 4 bolt heads or drop the cash for 3 bolt 2.0 type. You've already got the carbs, so with 3 bolt heads, a decent cam and fresh p/c's you'll have a nice runner.
+Quote Post
mteovr
post Feb 17 2021, 10:47 AM
Post #15

Thanks all for the comments and advice already!

Since I filmed the vid, have done much more internet sleuthing, deduced the extra engine crossbar is for the side-shift conversion, and already planning to have the calipers rebuilt by PMB.

Placed a few orders with 914Rubber for interior and bushings and etcs, planning to have the motor and side-shift trans rebuilt by pros, especially as unsure what all is going on in there and absolutely zero records from previous owner.

@Charles Freeborn - excellent to learn about European Motorworks, will contact them immediately. My priority is getting the mechanicals sorted balancing between budget and performance as much as possible. Then move on to cosmetics and correctness over time. For the engine rebuild, had been previously debating Brothers VW Machine Shop in Ontario or BajaWorx in Yucca Valley. For transaxle was planning to drive it down to California Motorsports in Havasu. Trying to keep it as local as possible, but do you know where Dr. Evil might be located?

@mark04usa - great to know about the shift linkage cover and horn, have ordered new shocks all around, plus mounts, bushings, etc for the rear to get that done before the drivetrain returns.

@Jonathan Livesay - already tugged out one of the axles in the vid. That was entirely unexpected, though, you shoulda seen my face! But good advice for the stubs, will get on that ASAP, thank you.

@coondog - no, but I'm close to Hesperia and there's someone on Craigslist selling lots of 914 parts there, perhaps this is Vince? In the plans to get in touch.

@bbrock - don't like the sound of that, uh oh!

@all - the warm welcome helps a lot and please keep the advice coming. I'm an absolute amateur and this will no doubt take much longer and cost much more than expected, so anything and everything that can save me headaches is greatly appreciated.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 17 2021, 10:55 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(mteovr @ Feb 17 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Ha! I wouldn't lose any sleep. So far the car looks fantastic and if you had major repair work to do, it would already be obvious. My prediction is the worst you are likely to find on that car is maybe a jack point or two to repair or replace (no big deal) and a few spots of rust bubbling under the floor tar that can be treated and sealed before they grow into a larger problem. If it was already bad, I think you'd be seeing some evidence on the bottom side.

One other thing from your vid. Those positive battery cables are actually stock. They are the power supplies for the main harness. You are missing the large positive cable with traditional lead clamp from battery to starter. Those mystery cables bolt to the side of the lead clamp via a little terminal block. 914Rubber sells repros of the block.

You should be dancing a jig for having a 914 that solid to work on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Feb 17 2021, 11:40 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You've got a great car for starting a restoration. There's work to be done and a fair amount of checks to write, but the core car looks great to me. Its too bad that its already been taken apart and you don't have the benefit of seeing how things originally fit, but there's plenty of photos on this site to help guide the assembly. Take a close look at the sail panels where they meet the body for rust. Little bubbles on the outside are likely larger rust areas on the inside. You need to look up from the wheelwell and its a bit tight, but with a good light you should be able to check it out

and Welcome to the World
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 17 2021, 11:53 AM
Post #18

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Looks pretty rust free. That will cut your restoration time and cost in half. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mteovr
post Feb 17 2021, 05:42 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 17 2021, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(mteovr @ Feb 17 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Ha! I wouldn't lose any sleep. So far the car looks fantastic and if you had major repair work to do, it would already be obvious. My prediction is the worst you are likely to find on that car is maybe a jack point or two to repair or replace (no big deal) and a few spots of rust bubbling under the floor tar that can be treated and sealed before they grow into a larger problem. If it was already bad, I think you'd be seeing some evidence on the bottom side.

One other thing from your vid. Those positive battery cables are actually stock. They are the power supplies for the main harness. You are missing the large positive cable with traditional lead clamp from battery to starter. Those mystery cables bolt to the side of the lead clamp via a little terminal block. 914Rubber sells repros of the block.

You should be dancing a jig for having a 914 that solid to work on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

The jack points are obviously hard to show when the car's up on the lift but amazingly, they're all pretty pristine. It's truly wild how some things on the car are in great shape and some aren't. The battery cables and block/clamp unit could very well be in the parts pile somewhere, will have to scour the web for what they actually look like. So far a perfunctory Googling doesn't ring any bells. But can't trust my memory...

Also, any advice on a solvent for the floor mat tar? Or just a good scrubbing?

@all - I'm keeping every and all suggestions as a list in a spreadsheet, so please, keep 'em coming!

+Quote Post
mteovr
post Feb 17 2021, 05:45 PM
Post #20

Oh, and I split time between Santa Monica and the high desert near Pearblossom...

Which will only contribute to extensive confusion, work delays, and my typical pastime of hoarding parts bought online and then installing in bunches. Oh boy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:05 PM