Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Defrost Switch, No work
stickyfingers
post Feb 24 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,223
Region Association: Canada

Good day folks.

1 week into ownership of this beauty I'm trying to fix some issues (mostly electrical). The defrost light is non-functional and I don't know how the switch actually works. I've opened the switch (as attached), the bulb is in good shape but the light doesn't come on. I see 1 wire coming into it - split into a blue and black one attached to the bulb I assume.

The switch seems like a dummy tbh but it isn't. How do you even turn it on? Mine just wiggles freely. Hoping someone can shed some light - waiting for my Haynes manual to arrive - so hoping I can get a head start trying to fix this. Its cold out in Toronto.

Thank you!Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Feb 24 2021, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

IF I recall, the light comes on with the dash lights

-Robert
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 24 2021, 06:03 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Feb 24 2021, 03:33 PM) *

-Robert

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) There is no switch, it is just wired in with the instrument lights. The wire brings power and it is grounded through the screw on the other side. If it isn't working, try cleaning up all the metal contact surfaces between the screw hole and chassis.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 24 2021, 06:04 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Double post
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 25 2021, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 24 2021, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(rfinegan @ Feb 24 2021, 03:33 PM) *

-Robert

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) There is no switch, it is just wired in with the instrument lights. The wire brings power and it is grounded through the screw on the other side. If it isn't working, try cleaning up all the metal contact surfaces between the screw hole and chassis.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The blower in the engine compartment should come on when you pull the heater handle all the way up. That is just a lighted indicator for the heater handle function.

Clay
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Feb 25 2021, 10:12 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have an early car so no defrost light but I just went through getting the engine compartment fan to work. My lever was disconnected from the wire in the tunnel. A PO had extended that wire at some point. I re did the connections and it now works great.
+Quote Post
stickyfingers
post Feb 25 2021, 10:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,223
Region Association: Canada

Thanks all. This is really helpful. Does the blower only function when the car is on and started? Or can it work with just the key turned without the car on because it doesn't work that way? Just trying to figure out the options here. The weather has improved here so I am going to take it for a spin locally to test this out.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 25 2021, 10:41 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Feb 25 2021, 09:28 AM) *

Thanks all. This is really helpful. Does the blower only function when the car is on and started? Or can it work with just the key turned without the car on because it doesn't work that way? Just trying to figure out the options here. The weather has improved here so I am going to take it for a spin locally to test this out.

Should come on with the lever pulled up and the key on. The switch in the lever also grounds to the chassis. There is a green (IIRC) wire that attaches to the bottom of the lever mechanism that feeds power to a contact and the lever completes the ground to chassis when it is pulled up. There is also a relay for the blower on the relay panel in the engine bay so check to make sure that is present and functioning.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:04 PM