Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV components, What am I looking for?
Speedo
post May 16 2021, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,170
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dismantling and rebuilding my axles. Inner CVs were fine, just nasty. Outer CVs were so crusty I'm surprised they turned. Lot of sand/dirt in the joint and one of my inner races has some pitting so I'd rather not re-use it. I have been told the splines (and therefore the inner races) are different on the six. So if I need to replace an inner race, what am I looking for? Are the splines and inner race the same as an early 911?Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Speedo
post May 16 2021, 12:15 PM
Post #2

Ok so I just read several threads on this and now know I need components that work with 25 spline axles. From what I have read, it appears that early 911 axles also have 25 splines. I have a couple 911 axles which I am going to measure and maybe with a little luck the inner race/bearings will be the same. I will report back.
+Quote Post
Speedo
post May 16 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #3

So I took a 911 axle off the shelf and disassembled it. Taking apart CVs is one of the most unpleasant/dirty tasks I might add. What a mess. Fortunately it did come apart easily. I measured the axle and inner race diameter before disassemble and it was the same as the 6 axle...so far so good. Once separated from the axle the CV came apart and low and behold the bearings and inner race and outer race were all exactly the same. Stole the inner race and cleaned it up for re-assembly when I get my new boots and clamps. Nice to know that when 911 chassis die and go to heaven, we can steal some of their body parts to keep 914s alive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 17 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I thought the CV pieces were matched and you shouldn't mix and match CV parts.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:49 PM