Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1971 Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement
RestoReese
post May 18 2021, 12:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,256
Region Association: Southwest Region

Prior owner replaced the Ignition Lock cylinder and it is a VW key type not Porsche. Any ideas if there are aftermarket version that have the Porsche key type?

I see someone is selling a NOS for over $500 on Ebay but that is just too much - I assume it is hard to find.

Aftermarket will be fine and I know the tumblers won't match but that is ok - maybe I can find a locksmith to tune them to the rest of the lock cylinders I have.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914e
post May 18 2021, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,951

QUOTE(RestoReese @ May 17 2021, 11:03 PM) *

Prior owner replaced the Ignition Lock cylinder and it is a VW key type not Porsche. Any ideas if there are aftermarket version that have the Porsche key type?

I see someone is selling a NOS for over $500 on Ebay but that is just too much - I assume it is hard to find.

Aftermarket will be fine and I know the tumblers won't match but that is ok - maybe I can find a locksmith to tune them to the rest of the lock cylinders I have.

I have an early ignition lock cylinder, I bought a complete matching set of handles and locks, most of mine were long lost. At the time I didn't know it was the wrong year ignition lock. I need to get my late model cylinder rekeyed to match the rest. I don't know if I can just switch the pins between them. I am hoping to do that this summer while it is too hot to enjoy driving.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 18 2021, 05:41 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

70-71 locks are VW Type 3 style BUT Porsche key part is unique.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:10 AM