Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1975 1.8-Fuel Smell, Fuel Smell When I Open the Frunk
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 21 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,413
Region Association: Northern California

Hi All,

With the rain finally coming to California, I am keeping the 914 in the garage and working out my winter plan for working on my 914.

I am currently in the middle of getting the heater back online but I also want to finally finish the fuel odor I still have.

I know from this post (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108524) that the charcoal filter is meant to go in the engine compartment on my 1975. However, the smell is in the frunk, not too bad and not nearly as bad when I first got my 914. When I first had the car, I saw that I had several serious fuel leaks at the carbs, fixed that. Then I took the fuel tank out last year and cleaned it out and redid all the hose and that knocked the fuel smell down I use to have in the car and the garage.

But I still have a pretty strong fuel odor in the frunk when open. I had the car with the mechanic to replace the oil cooler (I don't have the space to drop the engine myself) and to check out the fuel odors. He said that there were a few small fuel leaks in the engine compartment that he handled and tested the fuel tank, which didn't have any leaks. I was missing the charcoal canister, which I will be getting soon.

Here is my question, if the fuel odor is in the front, should I place the charcoal canister up front? Not sure I see the point putting it in the back. The fuel tank expansion tank has a nib that has a rubber cover on it and I am thinking that is where I would connect the canister, but I am not 100% sure and don't want to waste time. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 21 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Check the gasket under the filler spout. They weaken with the; 914Rubber sells a good replacement. I found that just a drop of gas will smell….
+Quote Post
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 21 2021, 04:53 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 21 2021, 04:05 PM) *

Check the gasket under the filler spout. They weaken with the; 914Rubber sells a good replacement. I found that just a drop of gas will smell….

Replaced when I pulled the tank but now I am remembering I reused the one for the fuel level gauge.

I will check though, thanks!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 21 2021, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Another question; are you keeping the tank full ? Or, does it small of gas a 1/2 full ?
+Quote Post
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 21 2021, 08:56 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 21 2021, 07:55 PM) *

Another question; are you keeping the tank full ? Or, does it small of gas a 1/2 full ?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter how full the tank is.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 21 2021, 09:32 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@ballsyfacts914
Check the small line from the expansion tank which runs down the back side of the tank to the tunnel. And the line from the fuller neck into the expansion tank.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 22 2021, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

I had the same but only when the tank was (nearly) full... Assumed it was the gasket on the neckfiller ... found out that all the screws around the neckfiller weren't snug. Tightened them all up and gone was the smell.

Perhaps you've got something else but it's worth checking

bye
Dax
+Quote Post
Pezz
post Oct 22 2021, 09:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,621
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Oct 21 2021, 01:53 PM) *

Hi All,

With the rain finally coming to California, I am keeping the 914 in the garage and working out my winter plan for working on my 914.

I am currently in the middle of getting the heater back online but I also want to finally finish the fuel odor I still have.

I know from this post (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108524) that the charcoal filter is meant to go in the engine compartment on my 1975. However, the smell is in the frunk, not too bad and not nearly as bad when I first got my 914. When I first had the car, I saw that I had several serious fuel leaks at the carbs, fixed that. Then I took the fuel tank out last year and cleaned it out and redid all the hose and that knocked the fuel smell down I use to have in the car and the garage.

But I still have a pretty strong fuel odor in the frunk when open. I had the car with the mechanic to replace the oil cooler (I don't have the space to drop the engine myself) and to check out the fuel odors. He said that there were a few small fuel leaks in the engine compartment that he handled and tested the fuel tank, which didn't have any leaks. I was missing the charcoal canister, which I will be getting soon.

Here is my question, if the fuel odor is in the front, should I place the charcoal canister up front? Not sure I see the point putting it in the back. The fuel tank expansion tank has a nib that has a rubber cover on it and I am thinking that is where I would connect the canister, but I am not 100% sure and don't want to waste time. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I tolerated a gassy frunk for over a decade, until I decided to flush the fuel tank and replace the sending unit, and in doing so, I replaced all the gaskets new, and the stink went away. Good luck.

+Quote Post
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 22 2021, 01:03 PM
Post #9

I have noted all the recommendations so far and will report back.

Thanks all!
+Quote Post
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 22 2021, 03:06 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 21 2021, 10:32 PM) *

@ballsyfacts914
Check the small line from the expansion tank which runs down the back side of the tank to the tunnel. And the line from the fuller neck into the expansion tank.

Picture?
+Quote Post
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 22 2021, 05:55 PM
Post #11

Hey All,

I have been searching all the threads on this issue and have learned quite a bit. I need a picture though, my car is carbed and the diagrams I keep finding seem to be for an original car. I also keep seeing that all I need to do is run one line in the tunnel to the engine from the tank to the canister. How do I do that without pulling the tank first?

Pictures would be super helpful, I want to do this myself because I should be able to. Not too keen on paying my mechanic to do this.

Thanks for all the help so far!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:10 AM