Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New TIG welder thoughts, What do you suggest?
obscurity
post Jan 24 2022, 11:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,628
Region Association: South East States

I would like to buy a TIG welder and give it a try. What do you suggest I look at? I need it to be 110V capable as my garage has no 220V. I plan to weld mostly sheet metal and have a MIG if I need to go much thicker. It does not have to do aluminum but it wouldn't hurt. What have I been looking at?

Eastwood TIG200
Primeweld TIG225x - Leaning toward this one
Vulcan Protig205

I know there are those who will say that I should buy a $3500 Miller but that is not realistically in he cards for me as I am by no means a professional nor will I ever be. I just like learning new things and developing new skills. This will be a weekend warrior machine and not for everyday use. As you can see from the list above I have been looking in the $800-1,200 range. Most of these machines have a pedal, pulse and are AC/DC.

Anyone have any of these or should I be looking elsewhere?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 24 2022, 12:20 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I have a Lincoln Precision TIG225 so I'll offer up my opinion. They guy you really want the opinion of is @MB911 .

My thoughts:

Forget about TIG if you don't have 220v. If you already have 110v to garage it really shouldn't be big $ to get 220V out there. I'd invest in that power upgrade 1st. Also comes in handy for other things like air compressors.

Buy a good unit once. Better to save up for a while and/or buy a used Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, or quality unit once than to mess with lower quality units.

A quality inverter based TIG can be had for about $2400 + tank.
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/linc...ASABEgKGQ_D_BwE

110v really limits your options for welders. Though I agree you don't need 220v to weld steel sheetmetal, you'll need it for other materials like Aluminum which require more current. I've TIG'd 0.064" copper and that takes about 180A!

TIG welding isn't fundamentally different than oxy-acetylene welding as far as technique goes. It's all about heat control and filler rod control. It takes a long time to get good to get the stack of dimes TIG look. Even harder if you're welding out of position on a car instead of a benchtop. So if you need work on technique, you can get practially the same thing by mastering oxy acetylene work.

Finally, a good 110v MIG is way more affordable. If you don't already have a MIG unit, conisder starting there.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 01:07 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh geez well your gonna get the 20 plus year college welding instructor response from me.. I have used state of the art welding equipment my whole professional career. I have tried all of the name brand stuff and have an opinion of each. I have trained 1000s of professional welders. That all said please know that TIG welding is hands down the hardest skill set to master. Though you mention that is not your goal so that is out of the way. I have no particular experience with the import welders from Asia but have heard the Eastwood to at least have a good warranty. I have also heard about the I believe it's called the atp or htp on Amazon. They are semi reliable.

My only Real advice is don't expect much from longevity but if I am wrong you got one up on me and 2nd realize there is a reason good TIG welders make 45 plus an hour for their skill sets. The thinner the material the harder to weld.. you will be able to TIG weld it just takes time and lots and lots of patience.

+Quote Post
obscurity
post Jan 24 2022, 01:08 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 24 2022, 01:20 PM) *

I have a Lincoln Precision TIG225 so I'll offer up my opinion. They guy you really want the opinion of is @MB911 .

My thoughts:

Forget about TIG if you don't have 220v. If you already have 110v to garage it really shouldn't be big $ to get 220V out there. I'd invest in that power upgrade 1st. Also comes in handy for other things like air compressors.

Buy a good unit once. Better to save up for a while and/or buy a used Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, or quality unit once than to mess with lower quality units.

A quality inverter based TIG can be had for about $2400 + tank.
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/linc...ASABEgKGQ_D_BwE

110v really limits your options for welders. Though I agree you don't need 220v to weld steel sheetmetal, you'll need it for other materials like Aluminum which require more current. I've TIG'd 0.064" copper and that takes about 180A!

TIG welding isn't fundamentally different than oxy-acetylene welding as far as technique goes. It's all about heat control and filler rod control. It takes a long time to get good to get the stack of dimes TIG look. Even harder if you're welding out of position on a car instead of a benchtop. So if you need work on technique, you can get practically the same thing by mastering oxy acetylene work.

Finally, a good 110v MIG is way more affordable. If you don't already have a MIG unit, consider starting there.

Thanks! I actually already have a 110V MIG and use it quite a bit. What I liked about the three welders I listed is they will run 110V or 220V.

I am looking into getting 220V to the garage but from the looks of it you can need as much as 50A which is quite a bit to added load on the panel. Related to that I only have 1 space left in the current panel so I would have to work a sub panel or share with the dryer which is not a good idea long term. On the plus side the routing would be very easy
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 24 2022, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I'm a huge HTP Invertig 221 fan, but those are almost $4k so a bit much...IMO welds every bit as nice as a fancy Lincoln or Miller, just made in Italy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

That said, a buddy has an AHP Alpha-TIG and it welds pretty good. As does another friend's Everlast PowerTIG 250EX. Like Ben said, longevity may be an issue, but realistically, if you aren't running a bead full time this really might not be a problem. The AHP is ~$800 and 250EX ~$1400. Control was pretty good; you can do all the usual part tricks (weld razor blades and soda cans) with either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Never tried the HF or Eastwood so no comments there.

I hated both the provided pedals and torches though. Awful IMO, but maybe you won't notice if you haven't spent much time behind a nicer TIG. I have heard the pedals have gotten better lately.

I would highly recommend budgeting some extra cash for a nice CK torch and cable though.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 01:54 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

On last thing to consider as I have tried the big 3 my favorite smaller multi process machine is the ESAB 205ic rebel. Does all processes really well and takes up little space. Here are the welds it produced yesterdayAttached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 01:54 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
obscurity
post Jan 24 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 24 2022, 02:54 PM) *

On last thing to consider as I have tried the big 3 my favorite smaller multi process machine is the ESAB 205ic rebel. Does all processes really well and takes up little space. Here are the welds it produced yesterdayAttached Image

Wow that Rebel is a dream machine! I wish I had that much $ to spend. It seems to do it all
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 24 2022, 02:14 PM
Post #9

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

@mb911 -any thoughts on the ESAB ET 186I? I've been seeing some at near clearance prices (~$1200), but have never used an ESAB machine.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Jan 24 2022, 02:51 PM
Post #10

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

I have a ThermalArc 186. I have not yet had enough time to really learn TIG welding,
but will get to it. Any opinions on this machine?

Recently installed 240V 50A electric car charge circuit to the garage. Note, according to my interpretation of US taxes, there is a 30% credit on the cost of this. I bought a cheap 4-prong to 3-prong adapter so the welder can also use this plug.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Jan 24 2022, 02:56 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,392

I purchased a Everlast 185DV (less than $1K) in 2018 and so far have had no issues with it. I already had a MIG welder as well. I wanted to be able to weld Aluminum and Stainless but did not want to spend a ton for something I will use a few times a year. It is 120/220 capable however to weld Aluminum I had to use 220V to get enough amps (tried on 120 and would trip the breaker) It did not come with a foot pedal (found it essential vs finger switch for a good weld) and I purchased that separately.
I have now welded Aluminum, Stainless and mild steel. I found precise prep before welding to very important. Stainless and Mild steel were easier to get decent at than Aluminum. Aluminum was very hard to learn. It took me 4 big tanks of gas to get ok. I used the welder to weld up a Vellios oil tank for my -6 conversion. I was worried about leaks from the welds but they were all good. The casting on the other hand had many spots with porosity that leaked air when pressure tested and had to weld up the porous spots. Pics of welds on Aluminum tank. So far I am quite happy with the welder, especially for the price.

Attached Image

john
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 24 2022, 03:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 26,011

I was a TIG welder in a former life and still weld as part of the hobby. I recently bought an Alpha TIG 201XD as they were going out of style. However, the new line looks real sweet.
https://ahpwelds.com/catalog/tig
I’ve only used the machine on 120v and it’s been great for the thin stuff. Overall, I prefer a transformer over an inverter machine for aluminum, but these inverter machines still get the job done just fine.

Good luck in your search,
Van
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 03:44 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 24 2022, 01:35 PM) *

I was a TIG welder in a former life and still weld as part of the hobby. I recently bought an Alpha TIG 201XD as they were going out of style. However, the new line looks real sweet.
https://ahpwelds.com/catalog/tig
I’ve only used the machine on 120v and it’s been great for the thin stuff. Overall, I prefer a transformer over an inverter machine for aluminum, but these inverter machines still get the job done just fine.

Good luck in your search,
Van

Hmm that is actually exactly the opposite impression you should have. Inverter machines have way more adjustable parameters for TIG then a transformer. I grew up using a goldstar 200 Amp Miller . Fine for its days but no way given the option would I use a transformer machine now. Just the frequency adjustment makes life so much better for materials that will be anodized

Also a note not to brag but rather to explain perspective. I am a national weld instructor and trainer welding instructors across the country. I have used almost every name brand machine.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 03:51 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 24 2022, 12:14 PM) *

@mb911 -any thoughts on the ESAB ET 186I? I've been seeing some at near clearance prices (~$1200), but have never used an ESAB machine.

I have not used that one but will tell you ESAB products are top notch.

Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, ESAB, Fronius are all top notch.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 24 2022, 03:55 PM
Post #15

I bought a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 when they first came out in the early 2000’s. That thing was as smooth as butter right up to the limit of it’s duty cycle. When I was welding for a living, I would take that thing to high temp shut down routinely in the summer by pushing big parts at 360-370amps.
I’ve tried several different inverter machines and they’ve all been great. But not quite the same IMO.

I don’t think I’d be so bold in saying I “should” have a different opinion. It is after all based on the thousands of hours and experience I spent under a hood over 20+yrs. But then again, every welder you meet is the best welder ever so, results may vary.

Van
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 04:19 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 24 2022, 01:55 PM) *

I bought a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 when they first came out in the early 2000’s. That thing was as smooth as butter right up to the limit of it’s duty cycle. When I was welding for a living, I would take that thing to high temp shut down routinely in the summer by pushing big parts at 360-370amps.
I’ve tried several different inverter machines and they’ve all been great. But not quite the same IMO.

I don’t think I’d be so bold in saying I “should” have a different opinion. It is after all based on the thousands of hours and experience I spent under a hood over 20+yrs. But then again, every welder you meet is the best welder ever so, results may vary.

Van

Totally get it. Different applications. Probably not anodizing welded parts that required 375 amps to weld them..

Ps the precision TIG is a pretty nice unit. I work extremely close with Lincoln. In fact I will be traveling next week with corporate Lincoln and doing a presentation with them.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 24 2022, 04:27 PM
Post #17

That welder is a reminder of how different (better) our economy was then.
Exact same machine has doubled in price since then!
https://bakersgas.com/products/lincolnpreci...gwelder-k2622-2
+Quote Post
dhuckabay
post Jan 24 2022, 04:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 24,379
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I did not like the new prices. Bought a Miller at an industrial auction for $500. Nice having the tig and stick on the same machine. Foot pedal amp control works well.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 24 2022, 04:34 PM
Post #19

That was the winning factor for my Alpha TIG 201XD, it was the cheapest machine with a legit foot pedal. Some of these bargain basement machines give you a pedal that’s got the same response as a light switch…
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 24 2022, 04:45 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And yes machines have gone crazy. I have a quote in right now and it was 500k worth of machines and last year our quote was 100k less.. crazy

My 205IC I bought 2 years ago was 2500 right now they are almost 4k
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:25 AM